As I mentioned in the last post, we’re busy putting the finishing touches on the covered patio makeover. We’re going to be so, so excited when it’s “done done”, as Greg always says. We have a few little projects to finish up before we can share the “after photos” and right now, I’m going to dish on one of those little projects…
We picked up a few of these planters from Target a while ago to go on the table under the new artwork. They were the perfect size for the table, but as things started coming together, we realized they weren’t quite the right color (they’re a much darker red in person). The obvious makeover method for a project like this is spray paint. The only problem was that I couldn’t quite find the perfect color spray paint. Everything was just a bit too “primary” looking. In walks my favorite new DIY trick, like… um, ever.
Let’s back up a bit. I have a great, massive love for Martha Stewart Craft Paints – and Martha Stewart for that matter, but that’s for another time and place. Not only are the colors super yummy, but the paints are also durable, outdoor safe, dishwasher safe and can be applied to pretty much any surface. I’m pretty certain I have every color available stashed in my office. Basically, in my book, there is no other craft paint. There, I said it. And no, this isn’t a sponsored post, haha. Even if it was, I’d still be saying the same thing.
I was in Michael’s a few months ago and spotted Martha’s Gloss Spray Paint Kit. Basically this kit turns any Martha Stewart craft paint (except for the glitter versions and there’s a separate kit for stain finish paints) into an aerosol paint. At the time, I had no idea what I’d use it for, but I had to pick it up just in case an opportunity arose. The kit was $20 (plus the cost of paint). I ended up getting it 40% off with my Michael’s iPhone app. Two points for technology. Also, you can get it here on Amazon for $11. Oh, and as for the paint color for this project I used Beach Glass – which in my opinion is the perfect “Martha Stewart Blue”.
In walks the planters and where we are now. The large, smooth surface of the planters were the perfect surface to try this baby out.
I followed the directions carefully and combined equal parts of the medium and high gloss paint in the paint bottle. I gave it a good shake and reconnected the contecter thingamajig to the paint bottle. The above image is from here (I just added the writing) because I was too excited and forgot to take a photo. #badblogger
This next portion of the process doesn’t have any photos – which will be self-explanitory in a minute.
Spray painting is totally a solo project, so I was working on this while Greg was at work. Here’s how it went down: I’m all ultra-excited to get this show on the road and go outside to paint. Our next door neighbor is outside tending to his totally-awesome flower beds, so I’m trying to not look like a DIY idiot (as much as I could, anyway). I set the first planter up on a brick in the grass and start to paint. Two seconds in, paint starts spewing out of the connector thingamajig. Someone didn’t read the directions carefully enough. I’ve got paint all over my hands and face, in my hair, in my eyes, and on my brand new shirt. Yeah, I know, ya’ll are probably thinking what Greg asked: “What were doing spray painting in a new shirt?” I don’t know. Remembering that craft paint normally comes out easily if you put water on it immediately, I put down the paint and walk over to the water hose. I turn on the water hose and, knowing that the sprayer was broken, I twisted the sprayer off. All of a sudden, a high-powered stream of water aimed directly at my face comes flying at me. My clothes are drenched, along with my hair. Everything. Is. Soaked. Let’s just say I’m pretty sure I gave my green-thumbed next door neighbor a good laugh. Oh happy day.
If that debacle already wasn’t enough, I had to “unclog” the nozzle a bunch of times and my hands (and hair… and clothes…) were a mess by the time this process was over. But, I didn’t care because I was going to have fancy shmancy “Martha Stewart Blue” planters.
Just when I was about half way done with the larger planter, the paint sprayer can ran out. Needless to say, I had to capture this moment on Instagram. #sadtimes So… the only option was to go back to Michael’s to get another kit.
When it was all said and done, the finish is flawless. No streaks, no splatters (well, on the planters anyway) and no bubbling. I’m so glad I decided to go with the glossy paint rather than the satin because the glossy finish makes it look like a glazed pot.
Moral of the story: read the directions twice. Also, this isn’t the best method for medium to large spray paint jobs. The spray paint kit really does work great – despite my mishap (I think I just didn’t have the two pieces connected tight enough). Word on the street is that Lowe’s now can mix custom spray paint (though we haven’t tried it yet) and there’s this contraption that “turns any paint into spray paint”. The reviews weren’t too hot for that one so, I decided to go the Martha route – and because I was dead set on having “Martha Stewart Blue” planters. ‘
Now I have them, and I’m happy.