Carport + Patio DIY Decor Painting

How to Turn Craft Paint Into Spray Paint //

As I mentioned in the last post, we’re busy putting the finishing touches on the covered patio makeover. We’re going to be so, so excited when it’s “done done”, as Greg always says. We have a few little projects to finish up before we can share the “after photos” and right now, I’m going to dish on one of those little projects…

How to Turn Craft Paint Into Spray Paint //

We picked up a few of these planters from Target a while ago to go on the table under the new artwork. They were the perfect size for the table, but as things started coming together, we realized they weren’t quite the right color (they’re a much darker red in person). The obvious makeover method for a project like this is spray paint. The only problem was that I couldn’t quite find the perfect color spray paint. Everything was just a bit too “primary” looking. In walks my favorite new DIY trick, like… um, ever.

Martha Stewart Craft Paint //

Let’s back up a bit. I have a great, massive love for Martha Stewart Craft Paints – and Martha Stewart for that matter, but that’s for another time and place. Not only are the colors super yummy, but the paints are also durable, outdoor safe, dishwasher safe and can be applied to pretty much any surface. I’m pretty certain I have every color available stashed in my office. Basically, in my book, there is no other craft paint. There, I said it. And no, this isn’t a sponsored post, haha. Even if it was, I’d still be saying the same thing.

How to Turn Craft Paint Into Spray Paint //

I was in Michael’s a few months ago and spotted Martha’s Gloss Spray Paint Kit. Basically this kit turns any Martha Stewart craft paint (except for the glitter versions and there’s a separate kit for stain finish paints) into an aerosol paint. At the time, I had no idea what I’d use it for, but I had to pick it up just in case an opportunity arose. The kit was $20 (plus the cost of paint). I ended up getting it 40% off with my Michael’s iPhone app. Two points for technology. Also, you can get it here on Amazon for $11. Oh, and as for the paint color for this project I used Beach Glass – which in my opinion is the perfect “Martha Stewart Blue”.

In walks the planters and where we are now. The large, smooth surface of the planters were the perfect surface to try this baby out.

How To Make Martha Stewart Spray Paint //

I followed the directions carefully and combined equal parts of the medium and high gloss paint in the paint bottle. I gave it a good shake and reconnected the contecter thingamajig to the paint bottle. The above image is from here (I just added the writing) because I was too excited and forgot to take a photo. #badblogger

This next portion of the process doesn’t have any photos – which will be self-explanitory in a minute.

Spray painting is totally a solo project, so I was working on this while Greg was at work. Here’s how it went down: I’m all ultra-excited to get this show on the road and go outside to paint. Our next door neighbor is outside tending to his totally-awesome flower beds, so I’m trying to not look like a DIY idiot (as much as I could, anyway). I set the first planter up on a brick in the grass and start to paint. Two seconds in, paint starts spewing out of the connector thingamajig. Someone didn’t read the directions carefully enough. I’ve got paint all over my hands and face, in my hair, in my eyes, and on my brand new shirt. Yeah, I know, ya’ll are probably thinking what Greg asked: “What were doing spray painting in a new shirt?” I don’t know. Remembering that craft paint normally comes out easily if you put water on it immediately, I put down the paint and walk over to the water hose. I turn on the water hose and, knowing that the sprayer was broken, I twisted the sprayer off. All of a sudden, a high-powered stream of water aimed directly at my face comes flying at me. My clothes are drenched, along with my hair. Everything. Is. Soaked. Let’s just say I’m pretty sure I gave my green-thumbed next door neighbor a good laugh. Oh happy day.

If that debacle already wasn’t enough, I had to “unclog” the nozzle a bunch of times and my hands (and hair… and clothes…) were a mess by the time this process was over. But, I didn’t care because I was going to have fancy shmancy “Martha Stewart Blue” planters.

How To Make Martha Stewart Spray Paint //

Just when I was about half way done with the larger planter, the paint sprayer can ran out. Needless to say, I had to capture this moment on Instagram. #sadtimes So… the only option was to go back to Michael’s to get another kit.

How To Make Martha Stewart Spray Paint //

When it was all said and done, the finish is flawless. No streaks, no splatters (well, on the planters anyway) and no bubbling. I’m so glad I decided to go with the glossy paint rather than the satin because the glossy finish makes it look like a glazed pot.

How To Make Martha Stewart Spray Paint //

Moral of the story: read the directions twice. Also, this isn’t the best method for medium to large spray paint jobs. The spray paint kit really does work great – despite my mishap (I think I just didn’t have the two pieces connected tight enough). Word on the street is that Lowe’s now can mix custom spray paint (though we haven’t tried it yet) and there’s this contraption that “turns any paint into spray paint”. The reviews weren’t too hot for that one so, I decided to go the Martha route – and because I was dead set on having “Martha Stewart Blue” planters. ‘

Now I have them, and I’m happy.

Ceci Bean
    August 14, 2013 at 11:05 am

Despite your mishaps, I am totally sold on trying this sprayer thing out. The end result is awesome!

Erin {Home Everyday}
    August 14, 2013 at 11:29 am

This is pretty nifty. I’d be willing to give it a go. I mean it says Martha Stewart on the label. (I may or may not have a Martha Stewart problem).

August 14, 2013 at 11:31 am

This is so cool- and I definitely worship at the altar of Martha too, but is the spray kit thing a one time use? Or did you just have to go back to Michael’s for more paint?

August 14, 2013 at 11:34 am

The kit isn’t necessarily one-use – I was just spray-paiting a lot of surface area and ran out of the “air” that’s in the spray can. That’s why I mentioned that it’s probably best for smaller projects.

August 14, 2013 at 11:40 am

I love anything that has the Martha name on it AND the fact that I know I would do the exact same “I am too excited to even think about reading the directions” thing. hah! The color looks great though!!!

August 14, 2013 at 11:42 am

Your planter looks so pretty and I too love that Martha Stewart blue 🙂 Glad everything worked in the end ~ DIY can be so crazy funny sometimes…looking back that is:)

August 14, 2013 at 12:26 pm

That looks great! I’ve been thinking about painting some pots that I have so they aren’t all so mismatched. I will definitely keep this in mind. Do you think you would have had enough for both if you hadn’t had that “incident” at the beginning?

August 14, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Probably ; )

August 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I love the Preval sprayer! I used it with Martha Stewart latex paint to paint a side table ( and a magazine holder (

December 6, 2015 at 8:40 am

Thanks for the links!! It will be Preval sprayers from now on for me!! I clicked on the links and your projects are beautiful!!

August 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm

That is such a funny story!

They turned out great!

Cut N Crown
    August 14, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Brilliant! I hadn’t run across this before, but I’m losing count of the possibilities!

Darnetha @ ChippaSunshine
    August 14, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Your project came out great despite the mishaps! I saw this in the store but never gave it a second thought. I might have to give it a try!

Elena @ The Silberez Life
    August 14, 2013 at 11:03 pm

So funny. I always get too excited and rush through the directions. I generally learn my lesson too =) Love the planters. The finish came out gorgeous!

August 15, 2013 at 9:17 am

they can mix any color in the paint decks at lowes into spray paint. the downside is that i’m pretty sure it costs around $10 per can, maybe a little more…

August 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

My first time at your site (found you on HGTV’s site). Your commentary made me belly laugh! Love how it turned out, but the images of you covered in paint and then soaking wet are the best.

Janet Sarandon
    August 15, 2013 at 11:00 am

I used this spray paint before. It’s really great. I’m satisfied with the quality of this product. It looks so glossy. I love it! 🙂

August 15, 2013 at 11:30 am

Very cool! She should just come out with a spray paint line. I’ve thought it before!

Christina M
    August 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm

While the outcome is pretty, I feel like this is a lot of work versus just buying a $5 can of Krylon! I think I’ll stick to the pre-made spray paint.

August 15, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I can definitely see how this product would come in handy…especially if you want to paint a smallish item. 🙂 Your planter came out very well, and I cannot wait to see the finished covered pation when it’s done done. 😀

Stephanie @
    August 15, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Ohhhh I love love love that color! I have a white and a black pot and they just aren’t doing it for me.

I smell a DIY project coming on. Just gotta find some coupons. 🙂 Thanks!

August 17, 2013 at 12:01 am

Haha, I’ll keep that in mind ; )

August 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I love this post! Just found your blog and this was such a fun post to start on. Love your voice in how you write 🙂 Also, that blue is my absolute favorite color so that helped too! I would love it if you would come link it up to my new linky party!

Hope to hear more from you soon!

August 19, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I am glad you are happy with the finish product after all the trouble you went through. I would say it looks excellent!

August 20, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Love the end result, I’d hadn’t spotted these on your blog before!

August 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Your pots look fantastic! I’ve seen the MS system at Michaels and wondered how well it would work and how long it would last (which you answered). I noticed the Preval system at Home Depot in Mechanicsville and it appears to be a better price than Amazon.
    I’ve been very tempted to try it out and may based on your post. Thanks for sharing!

January 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

i have been looking for a product like this! i was thinking it had to be out there… just wasn’t sure where!! thanks so much for posting about this!

I can’t wait topic one up for myself!

John weredeb
    May 19, 2014 at 7:50 pm

This sprayer is awesome!!! I love Martha’s paint and now that I can turn any of it into a aerosol is great!!