Carport + Patio DIY Decor

DIY OUTDOOR CURTAINS

DIY Outdoor Curtains / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Last week, we posted about our new carport turned patio. We’ve been working on this space for what seems like all summer – or even longer – and we’re beyond happy that it’s finished.

Covered Patio Makeover // 7thhouseontheleft.com

One of our favorite features in our new covered patio are the outdoor curtains. They really make the outdoor living space feel a little more “indoor” and much less “carport”.

DIY Outdoor Curtain How To // 7thhouseontheleft.com

We started this part of the project with a set of beige Merete curtain panels from Ikea. They aren’t necessarily marked as “outdoor curtains” but we’ve talked to a bunch of people who have used them as outdoor curtains – including Ashley’s Mom. She uses these on her patio and they’ve held up great and are machine washable – which is really a plus. Instead of getting only four panels (two packages), but we decided to get two extra packages since the space was so large and we wanted the curtains to look as full as possible.

In addition to the curtains, we needed a nice, sturdy curtain rod that fit our outdoor rustic/industrial motif. After talking it over, we decided that using galvanized pipe would be a great way to accomplish both goals. We decided to use one-inch pipe since it looked “beefy” enough and would have no flex with the curtains hanging on it. Another plus, it was a lot more affordable than a massively long outdoor curtain rod.

DIY Outdoor Curtain How To // 7thhouseontheleft.com

In order to make this work, it required a trip to the plumbing section at our local Lowe’s. For the two end pieces of the rod, I bought two floor flanges, two nipples and two elbows (as pictured above). I waited to buy the pipe because I wanted to triple check my measurements before having it cut to length at the store).

DIY Outdoor Curtain How To // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Since our “window” is so large (about 18′ wide) we used a T-connector with a single floor flange and nipple in the middle for extra support. As for the rod, we used two pieces of unthreaded EMT pipe and had them cut to the length we needed at Lowe’s (for about 50 cents a piece). Since the pipe was unthreaded, I also picked up four EMT set screw connectors (those are the shiny parts with the screw in the top). Unlike the rest of the parts, which are found in the plumbing section, the EMT connectors and pipe were in the electrical conduit section of the hardware store. Luckily, I have a father-in-law who’s an electrician and could point me in the right direction.

DIY Outdoor Curtain How To // 7thhouseontheleft.com

After drilling the pilot holes and attaching the floor flanges to the “wall”, it was just a matter of screwing all the connectors together. It was kind of like putting together an easy puzzle.

DIY Outdoor Curtain How To // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Once we were sure everything was secure and fitting properly, we took the rods back down and threaded the curtains on. As it turned out, we really did do the right thing by buying two extra packages of curtains. Two packages would not have been enough to really fill up the space visually.

DIY Outdoor Curtains / 7thhouseontheleft.com

The curtains ended up being a little shorter than we anticipated. On one hand, we think if they were hitting the floor it would be a perfect place for bugs and frogs to hide out – which we definitely don’t want. On the other hand, they could stand to be about 10 inches longer. We can easily add more length to them by adding a strip of fabric to the bottom using some Stitch Witchery. However, Ash’s mom mentioned that after it rained the first few times, the fabric shrunk a few inches in length. That being the case, we’ve decided to wait a while before adding any extra fabric to the ends.

As it is, we’re really loving how much more complete the whole look is. The curtains are the next best thing to a privacy fence. When we first started this process, I wasn’t sure the curtains would make that much of a difference, but Ashley insisted they would really bring everything together. I guess that proves why she’s in charge of making things look good around here, haha.

Sara
    August 29, 2013 at 3:11 pm

LOVE this look! Really, you guys hit it out of the park with this one. It looks completely different.

Christy
    August 29, 2013 at 3:14 pm

This looks awesome, you two! It really makes it look cozy.

Melissa
    August 29, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I’ve been waiting for this tutorial and I’m so glad you posted it. We’re planning on doing pretty much everything you’ve done to our carport later this Fall. Can’t wait!

Linda Dean
    August 29, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I still can’t get over the before and after. It looks so different. I’m sure you’re going to love entertaining in that space!

Janet
    August 29, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Looking good in the curtain hood. I’m thinking a bottom strip in a fun color would really pop and help extend the curtains closer to the floor. Food for thought.

Lora @ Craftivity Designs
    August 29, 2013 at 11:55 pm

They look great! We are purchasing a house with a large screened in porch and I want to add curtains like this. A question though — how easy/hard is it to take the rod down and remove the curtains for cleaning?

August 30, 2013 at 12:35 am

Thanks! It’s super, super easy! All you have to do is unscrew the rod from the connector and slide of the curtains. It’s basically just like regular curtain rods.

Lora @ Craftivity Designs
    August 30, 2013 at 8:00 am

Thanks for the reply, Ashley!

Kristin @ bliss-athome.com
    August 30, 2013 at 8:54 am

Looks great!! Perfect for the outdoors. xo Kristin

Stephanie @ simplebees.blogspot.com
    August 31, 2013 at 2:33 am

I’m curious how much the “rod” pieces cost and how long it is. I need some creative solutions for some extra wide windows.

Totally LOVE the look though. I always forget about IKEA when I think curtains. Will have to check them out!

Jessica
    August 31, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Such a beautiful place. Hopefully you live somewhere warm? 🙂 Then you can get plenty of use out of it.

caroline [the diy nurse]
    August 31, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I love it… it makes it look like a real room so much! And the hardware… I’ve always pictured that look in a man cave or bachelor pad but it looks so good outside too. I would’nt have ever thought of that!

Sarah Kyle
    September 3, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Great job, y’all! This looks so great! I can’t wait to have an outdoor space like that one day:)

I’ve been hoping for a tutorial like that- thanks for posting!

ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com
    September 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Cute! Looks really homey for a patio!

Ayisha
    September 5, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I love how things are coming together slowly. I have to be honest. Its comforting to see a blogger post that doesn’t build Rome in a day. Keep up the good work.

September 5, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Oh goodness, no Rome here, haha!
      Thanks so much : )

Tanya @ ourlittlehomesydney.blogspot.com.au
    September 9, 2013 at 3:08 am

This looks so lovely it looks like you have brought the indoors outdoors its just beautiful.

Lili
    October 8, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Hi Ashley!! thanks for posting this. I am trying to get some outdoor curtains for my porche but I was not able to find the ones you recommended online . Do you know if there is another option I can use? thanks!

October 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Target carries a great outdoor curtain. Here’s the link: http://bit.ly/15Yrl6p

I’d also check JC Penny and Overstock. Hope that helps! : )

Kiki Banias
    June 1, 2014 at 7:04 pm

How are the curtains working out for outdoor living

June 9, 2014 at 10:37 am

We love them! The elements have made them shrink an inch or two, but that wouldn’t hinder us from buying them again – they’ve been great!

Arletta
    June 22, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Hello. This is great news, about the curtains. I’m living in Southern Arizona and people often use blinds or canvas to cover their windows and walls, on the outside of the house, to block the heat from the sun. This is the first time I’ve seen something I could, maybe, afford.

Question, though: Do you think they could be painted? I’m talking about using one curtain, mostly hung flat like a canvas, and, painted with exterior paint so that it is 1) stiffer and 2) more like a decoration than just a curtain.

I know you probably couldn’t tell me, for certain; but, you have felt the fabric and all, so, I’m hoping you could make a good guess.

June 26, 2014 at 10:33 am

I’m pretty sure these can be painted, since they are very much like canvas. Hope that helps! : )

Diane
    June 26, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Am wondering if the poll and hardware used is rust proof?

June 26, 2014 at 1:13 pm

We were told at the hardware store that this pipe is rust-resistant and we haven’t had any rust issues at all since we hung it up. So far, so good!

mike
    June 28, 2014 at 12:14 am

I am looking for curtains for outdoors. One thing I was worried about is will the grommets rust? Mine will be entirely exposed to rain.

July 1, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Ours gets a pretty good amount of rain and they haven’t rusted. You could always try using a waterproofing agent like Neverwet.

Jeanne
    July 3, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I was just about to spend $750.00 on 6 single panel outdoor drapes when I decided to google a little more. I can’t tell you how happy I was to see your carport drapes and rod. I ran to Ikea and spent 75.00 on drapes and appx. 100.00 for fittings and pipe for rod. Thanks to you guys, I was able to spend money on other things and have a great looking set of drapes on my deck. Keep up the good work.

July 4, 2014 at 4:16 pm

So good to hear!! : )

Ken
    August 7, 2014 at 9:42 pm

This is such a great idea and we are trying this in a screened in porch in our mich house, thanks for posting and we’ll keep u posted!

Tina
    September 17, 2014 at 8:58 pm

WOW! Great job you two! Soooooooooooo impressed.

Randolph
    April 22, 2016 at 6:21 pm

I have been looking for outdoor curtains like this for my patio and could only find curtains for about 5 times the price. These are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much for the great info.

Katie
    June 17, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Would you say these are an off white or a tan?

June 26, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Hmmm… I’d say light tan. Hope that helps!!

Kelly
    July 19, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Ok, I’m reading this several years after you posted. Just wondering if the curtains are still holding up OK? South Louisiana heat is a bummer.

July 20, 2016 at 2:57 pm

We actually still have the same curtains today a they could probably stand to be replaced now. But, overall, they’ve held up great! Overtime, they have shrunk about 3-4″ and the color is a tad lighter than they once were – but not much. But like you said, it’s now years later! Plus side is that they are affordable!

Jill
    April 5, 2017 at 11:16 pm

Hey Ashley,

I’m convinced that these curtains would be perfect for our roof deck. I’m curious if you noticed mold/mildew growing after rain.

May 9, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Hi, Jill! We’ve noticed some mold recently, but we haven’t been rinsing them regularly or anything. Plus, the mold has only shown up recently and they’ve been perfectly fine until now. It’s probably time to switch them out with new ones – which we totally expected when we originally put them up. They’ve lasted a good long time though!