Carport + Patio

We still have a few projects to share the details about, but couldn’t wait any longer to show the photos we took right before I left for LA. Before we get to what the area looks like now, let’s take a stroll down Memory Lane and look at what it looked like before…

Carport Before /

Since we have ample driveway space behind the house for parking cars, we rarely parked in the carport simply because it made things feel more open and gave us a sense of an β€œoutdoor entry”. The problem was the space was far from inviting and completely lacking personality.

Carport Before /

As we rolled ideas around, we decided to turn the carport into a bonafide covered patio. We love hanging out outside (especially in the Fall) and we thought with a moderate amount of TLC we could get this space fixed up enough to feel like we had an extra living area. For starters, we gave our patio furniture a facelift with a few many coats of primer and paint, brought in an outdoor rug to section off a seating area and spruced up a roadside find to use as a large console table. Once “Phase One” was complete, we were for sure convinced that we wanted to plunge right in and turn it into a dedicated covered patio. Here’s what things are looking like now after “Phase Two”…

Covered Patio Makeover //

We planked the ceiling, painted the floor, replaced the lighting and installed patio lights around the perimeter of the ceiling. Then came the fun stuff: decorating! As a part of the Target Inner Circle, our friends at Target hooked us up with a gift card for this part of the project. We’ll get to all of those goodies in a minute, but let’s show you around our new outdoor digs…

Covered Patio Console Table //

If I had to pick a favorite part of the covered patio, this would be it. I think the same would go for Greg because the SemiDIY console table is his pride and joy, haha. The artwork, pops of color and marquee letter add the personality and color we were looking for from the beginning.

We added some needed storage on the bottom shelf of the console table by adding two lidded baskets. This has proven to be great storage for grilling essentials, extra citronella candles and outdoor toys for when our friends’ kids are over at the house. (We learned to have these on hand after having 6 kids under the age of 7 in our house at one time one afternoon!)

Covered Patio Console Table //

I’m pretty much in love with the giant red marquee letter. It’s actually a SemiDIY project and we couldn’t be happier with the results. We’ll be posting more information and a how-to for you guys later this week.

Covered Patio Console Table //

I love how the finish of the Threshold Metal Lanterns tie in with the overhead light fixture. It really helps bring everything together without looking “matchy-matchy”. We filled the lanterns with battery operated candles. Now, I’m normally not a fan of faux candles, but these little guys really look real. Another perk is that you can turn them off and on with a tiny remote control. Oh, how technology spoils us.

Covered Patio Makeover // Indoor Outdoor Curtains //

Now over on the other side of the patio – the sitting area. This area has come a long way since we first brought in the patio furniture (and gave it a makeover). The furniture has been good to us, but we’re keeping our eye out for a good conversation set on sale over the next few months. Maybe something like this.

Covered Patio Makeover // Indoor Outdoor Curtains //

The DIY sunburst mirror still looks great out here – and we’re in love with it even more now that the whole area has been “prettified”. I really like how the plank ceiling ties in with the color of the mirror. Hooray for Special Walnut stain!

The first thing that probably sticks out as different – and make the area look much less “carport” – are the outdoor curtains. My dad and Greg rigged these up using pipe from the plumbing section at the hardware store and we were able to put it all together (including the curtains) for about $160 – which definitely isn’t bad for 19 feet of “wall-to-wall” curtains. We’ll have a post for you with all of the information on what we did and the breakdown of the parts and pieces next week. We love how they add an element of softness to all of the brick and concrete. They’re going to be great for privacy, and they’ll help keep the heat in when we use our table-top heater in the Fall and Winter.

Target Outdoor Pillows / Covered Patio Makeover /

These pillows are the very first things I picked up for this patio makeover – way back even before the ceiling was done! I remember standing in Target for at least twenty minutes trying to put together the right combo. I love how the Dahlia pillow really pops against the cool blue and green pillows.

Mosquitos are in full force right now in Virginia (unfortunately, they love me) but we couldn’t help spending a few evenings out here at night. Thank goodness to citronella candles, right?! The soft glow of the patio lights and the coziness of the planked ceiling and soft curtains really makes for a nice, relaxing evening outside.

Overall, Greg and I are both extremely happy with how things turned out. We’re so glad that this project is wrapped up just in time for Fall – with the exception of maybe finding some new patio furniture. We can’t wait to spend countless evenings out here eating dinner, watching the squirrels, playing cards and relaxing with a good book or magazine. Ahhh, finally!

Because we normally get a lot of “Where did you get that?” questions, we went ahead and put together a source list (with product links!) for your reference: Ceiling Light (Bellacor), Tandem Wall Art (Pottery Barn), Ice Cream Soda Sign (Pottery Barn), Console Table (SemiDIY), Curtains (Ikea), Sunburst Mirror (DIY), Planters (Target), Baskets (Michael’s), Blue Outdoor Pillow (Target), Flower Outdoor Pillows (Target), Green Button Outdoor Pillow (Target), Succulent Dish (Target), Outdoor Rug (Target), String Patio Lights (Target).

Paige // Lively Green Door
    August 20, 2013 at 10:16 am

Oh la laaah! This is so great, I love the curtains. Makes me wish we had a carport!

August 20, 2013 at 10:39 am

WOW. Just WOW. It looks amazing. You must be so excited/happy with how everything turned out.

The only tiny, wee little thing I noticed was the length of the curtains. Are you think of (perhaps) adding some extra outdoor material to the bottom of them to make them somewhat longer? The extra material would also help with keeping the heat in during the winter, which you mentioned in the post. But this suggestion is just a tiny, nitpicky thing.

Seriously, it’s basically perfect.

August 20, 2013 at 10:44 am

Thank you! Yeah, honestly, that kind of bugged me too. We might end up doing that eventually, but we wanted to see how much they’d shrink first (we were told they would shorten about 1/2-1″ after it rained a few times). On the other hand, we weren’t sure if we wanted them to come all the way to the floor in fear of them becoming “dirt collectors”. We’ll just see how much they shrink, then go from there.

August 20, 2013 at 10:56 am

LOVE this!!! I wish we had a covered patio. Great for parties!

August 20, 2013 at 10:57 am

The colors, brick, decor, everything. Perfect!

John @ Our Home from Scratch
    August 20, 2013 at 11:01 am

The space looks great! Nice job! Big improvement. Enjoy it.

August 20, 2013 at 11:35 am

Beautiful job! It’s looking wonderful.

August 20, 2013 at 11:51 am

love. it. enjoy your hard work….its beautiful πŸ˜‰

Tiffany {A Touch of Grace}
    August 20, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Wow, that looks fabulous! Such a smart idea adding the curtains. And I agree with loving the console table. You styled it perfectly.

August 20, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Y’all did a beautiful job. You are to be congratulated!

August 20, 2013 at 1:13 pm

i think i’d love it even more than i already do if the rug had a more colorful border.. or maybe you were tryin to blend it… i love your blog love love love it and love what you’ve done to this space… keep up the great work… xo

Pam A New Organized Me
    August 20, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Everything turned out so nicely. I love this look.

August 20, 2013 at 2:46 pm

This looks awesome. With the drapes it looks like this is a sun room with big windows. Very creative.

August 20, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Wow that looks amazing!! Those curtains are such a great idea!! Congratulations on a job well done you guys!

I’d love to see a view from the inside looking out – what do you guys to look at when you’re in there?

August 20, 2013 at 3:37 pm

To the right is our neighbor’s yard (they have a great, well-kept yard that’s nice to look at, haha). Behind the house is a semi-wooded grassy area that’s beautiful in the Fall. It’s kind of an “alley” for the houses behind us. I’ll try to post a photo in an upcoming post! So, we’re not just staring at our cars or a fence, haha.

August 20, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Brady and Kym
    August 20, 2013 at 4:47 pm

It looks so fantastic guys! Looks so inviting and ready for one awesome party! If I didn’t live in Chicago I’d say “please invite me”! Ha!

August 20, 2013 at 5:01 pm

I live in Cali and I’ll come if you invite me! Looks amazing! You have a great amount of space, the table is such a great size and the pops of color are beautiful. I would especially love to see it lit up at night with the lanterns and B lit on the table. We have a large balcony that needs some work. I think I’ll be stealing a few ideas:) I’m excited! I could do a smaller table, curtains, a piece of wall art (which I had never even considered) and an lighted “S” and lanterns. How’s that for stealing some ideas?:) Oh, and some pillows!

Kate @ Happy Simple Mine
    August 20, 2013 at 11:01 pm

You’ll have to share pics of your first party! Will be fun to see how people fill the space. I’m sure it’s even more amazing in the evening with lights and candles. Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

August 21, 2013 at 2:32 am

I’ve been waiting for this reveal! πŸ™‚
    There are several “unexpected” things you did to your carport that turned out really great.
    Thanks for the “fresh” ideas! Can’t wait to read about your outdoors curtains soon.

Jessica Christian
    August 21, 2013 at 6:52 am

Whattay awsome transformation! Hats off to this. I love the way you have played around with colors and made it look chic and modern. If I was there right now and not behind my computer screen, I would sit back on the lovely chairs and take a sneek peek outside with a cup of coffee and a good smoke.

Just one question that popped up in my head whilst I was imagining all of this, Whats there to be looking out at ?? *wink wink*

August 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thank you! Behind the house is a semi-wooded grassy area that’s kind of an “alley” for the houses behind us. I’ll try to post a photo in an upcoming post!

August 21, 2013 at 10:25 am

Hmmm…you’re definitely right about not wanting the curtains to be dirt collectors…I didn’t think about that! Maybe, if you do decide to lengthen them, you could use either a darker or busier print, and still end it an inch or two from the floor–that might help solve the problem, somewhat.

gina @ skinnytaste
    August 21, 2013 at 3:37 pm

You have serious talent, I would have never had your vision. Great job!

August 21, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Thank you so much, Gina!

Stephanie @
    August 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I didn’t know your brother was THAT Abram! How cool!!!!

And I can’t wait to hear about your “B” project. Our last name starts with a B too and it immediately caught my eye!

Janet Sarandon
    August 22, 2013 at 7:29 am

Wow! The makeover looks so great. I love your choice of furnitures. I’m really inspired to do my own patio! Thanks for sharing! πŸ˜€

August 24, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Love it! The light is cool, but I almost wonder if a ceiling fan might give it that extra feel of it not being a carport PLUS add a nice cool breeze! Just an idea, but it certainly looks great just the way you have it too!

August 24, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Love every last detail Ashley! I have been watching the transformation with an abundance of giddiness with each and every post. And your reveal is absolutely stunning. That ceiling. Gosh, I love that ceiling. Way to go guys!

August 25, 2013 at 10:34 am

Thanks so much, Jen!!

September 19, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Where did you get that awesome bicycle wall art???

September 19, 2013 at 9:39 pm

We bought it at Pottery Barn, then weather-proofed it so we could hang it outside. You can find that post here.