Decorating

BROWN PAPER PACKAGES TIED UP WITH STRING

Michaels Custom Framing // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Last week, we got our custom-framed pieces back from Michaels. Opening each package was like Christmas morning. Since they were each individually wrapped in brown paper, my brain was singing “brown paper packages tied up with string” on repeat. Okay, I might have been singing it out loud rather than in my mind and Greg might have told me to cool it. Either way, it was fun.

Michaels Custom Framing // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Even though we had a good idea of what each piece would look like thanks to the in-store Frame Visualizer, they all looked even better than expected.

College Card Catalog / 7thhouseontheleft.com

First to find a home were the six book cover postcards. I fully intended to hang these in the half bath, but as I was unpacking them, I sat each one on top of the card catalog. Then I thought, “Maybe these would look cool here,” so I pulled out the nails, hammer, level and a pencil to get started.

Since the card catalog is pretty vintage looking, we wanted to hang the postcards in a modern layout, so we decided to go with a simple grid pattern. Now, if you’ve ever hung a group of frames in a grid pattern, you know what a pain it can be. In light of that, we thought we’d share our hanging-process in hopes that we might help someone avoid some major frustration. This next part will either bring you so much confusion that you just skip over the entire paragraph, or you’ll thank us later when you go to hang a similar grid pattern. Please, just bear with me…

How to Hang Frames in a Grid // 7thHouseontheleft.com

1 // Find the center of the wall (hanging area) and hang Frame A 2 // Draw a pencil line (using a level) across the wall at the height of the first nail. If you’re worried about the pencil coming off, 1/2″ painter’s tape works really well, too. 3 // Hang Frame B along the pencil line at desired distance. 4 // Take Frame A and Frame B down and measure the distance between the nail holes 5 // Measure that same distance to the left of Frame A and place a nail on the pencil line (this will be the nail hole for Frame E). 6 // Now, make another pencil line using the level going straight down from the nail hole of Frame A. Make sure you have the desired space between Frame A and Frame C, and place a nail for Frame C. 7 // Make another pencil line across the wall level with the nail hole for Frame C (we’ll call this the “C Line”. 8 // Now make another pencil line from the hole for Frame E down to the C Line. 9 // Make your last pencil line from the hole for Frame B down to the C Line. 10 & 11 // Hang Frames D and F at their respective intersections. 12 // Step back and marvel at your handy hanging skills. 13 // Recover from reading this confusing tutorial.

Michaels Custom Framing // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Like most walls, the wall isn’t 100% flat or straight. Luckily, these frames from Michaels came with little rubber feet on their backs. If a frame was a bit too far to the left or right, it was really easy to adjust without putting another hole in the wall because the rubber feet help them stay put. We also really liked the heavy duty, rubber-coated wire Michaels used for the hanger. Those little details made a huge difference and really cut down the frustration of getting these all perfectly straight.

Now that the hanging process is behind us, here’s what all of the frames look like now…

Card Catalog with Frames // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Greg and I both really like the little bursts of color, but we’re even more excited that we actually have something hanging on the walls! It’s about time, right? Greg especially likes how the art in the frames (the book cover post cards) is a nice nod to how the card catalog was used back in the day.

Now, for the vintage gas station number. We decided it needed to hang it where we would get to enjoy it–somewhere it would really be showcased. So, we went to the kitchen…

Framed Gas Station Number // 7thhouseontheleft.com

The space between the cabinet and the door is the perfect size for the framed number. The white mat ties in nicely with the white cabinets while the black frame brings out the grout (more so in person) and is really pronounced next to the back door. Speaking of the back door… Greg just finished the last coat on it last night. We’re loving the look and think it really helps add more depth to our all-white kitchen.

Easy Kitchen Upgrades / 7thhouseontheleft.com

See how much difference a little bit of paint and some wall art can make?! We’re really happy with the results, and we are now officially hooked on custom framing. Those “brown paper packages tied up with string” sure did pack a punch in our house, that’s for sure!

Michaels Custom Framing // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Katrina
    September 30, 2013 at 11:42 am

The new artwork looks fantastic & I love that you painted the inside of your door a deeper color, looking good!

Erin
    September 30, 2013 at 11:43 am

looks great! Love the book cover art!

What color is your kitchen? it’s not listed under your paint color page.

Thanks!!

September 30, 2013 at 11:47 am

Thanks! It’s Cobblestone by Martha Stewart.

Rhonda K
    September 30, 2013 at 11:55 am

Hey Ashley, where did you find the white “loving” cups. Love them and the fact that they look like a trophies. Those pictures look fabulous with the card catalog. Keep up the good work!

September 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thank you! I found them at Target on clearance a few months ago (the small one was only $4!). You might want to check Ebay or Etsy. Hope you find some!

Andrea
    September 30, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I love the pictures above the card catalog. And I love the card catalog. I have to ask, what do you keep in it though? Everywhere I look people have beautiful bookshelves and shelves with interesting decorative pieces; but in my reality I actually need the spaces to hold our stuff!

September 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Thanks! We love it too – it’s probably our favorite piece of furniture we own! I’ve been toying around with a few ideas on what to keep in it, haha. I think I’ve finally come to the conclusion to keep extra office supplies and a few craft “back ups” (washi tape, paint brushes, etc) since it’s so close to my office.

Emma
    September 30, 2013 at 1:07 pm

about how much would the custom framing from michael’s cost? i am trying to price out a few different options right now…

September 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I’d really suggest going into the store and talking to them. They always have promotions going on and the price totally depends on the mat/frame you choose and the overall size. To give you an idea though, our small frames were $52 each and the large one was around $120. Hope the helps!

Emily
    September 30, 2013 at 1:38 pm

New to your blog and am finding it sooo helpful! We are just starting renovation on our first home and it’s nice to find a blog that gives some first hand experience. Thank you!

September 30, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Thank you and congrats on your new home! Glad you found us! : )

caroline
    September 30, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Ashley, it looks fantastic!!! I love the “7”….the card catalog is awesome!!!! I love that it is on wheels. How is Bentley feeling??? I was thinking about him…hope he is feeling better!!! 🙂

September 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Aww, thank you! He’s feeling a bit better today because the bandages were taken off (yay!). He’s still not able to get around too well, but we’re hoping he’ll perk up soon : )

Geesha
    September 30, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Ashley, you and your husband crack me up! I sing stuff out loud all the time…my husband just looks at me like I have lost my ever lovin mind! Your home is gorgeous. Your frames look so good next to the card catalog. Good call. By the way did you mention the color of your door?

September 30, 2013 at 3:28 pm

You should see his face when I sing High School Musical songs… that’s a whole other story, haha. The door is Behr’s Black Suede (in satin finish).

Meagan
    September 30, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I love all the pictures, and the placement of the cards!

Also, if I read the tutorial correctly, I think the number 9 on the image is in the wrong place. If you put the 3 a little to the right of where it is and the 9 where the 8 is but on the other side of the picture, it would be crystal clear. 🙂

September 30, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Thanks for the tip! All fixed now… I think. I wrote it and even I’m confused, haha!

Linda
    September 30, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I love the black door in the kitchen. I bought dark grey (nearly black but not quite) for the inside of our front door and haven’t gotten around to painting it yet, but between your post and the lovely fall weather we have I am thinking a project for this weekend maybe. Thanks for the inspiration! Oh, and your framed items look super.

Elena @ The Silberez Life
    September 30, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I love how unique and meaningful your art is. And stylish too?! Next time you’re in California, come stay at my house and work your magic =)

Nic
    September 30, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Love it! What color are you walls in the kitchen?

October 1, 2013 at 8:29 am

Thanks! It’s Martha Stewart’s Cobblestone.

Alicia
    September 30, 2013 at 11:09 pm

That door makes such a difference! Both the frame and the door bring everything together; it looks great!

Jen
    September 30, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Wow! Loving all of the art! Nice pops of statement making color! And the door looks incredible, what a huge difference! I want your entire kitchen, it will forever be one of my favorites.

xo!

October 1, 2013 at 8:28 am

Aw, thanks Jen!!

Ana
    October 1, 2013 at 3:21 am

Those frames look amazing. One day I am going to have something similar to that. And I have never been a fan of white but your kitchen is seriously making me reconsider that.

Jamie
    October 1, 2013 at 11:18 am

Your prints look great! My husband and I recently took a print from Schoolhouse Electric to Michaels and the cheapest framing option was nearly $900!! But then they told us there’s a 55% off “sale” but we almost fell over. The “sale” thing seemed like a real scam too. Do you have any suggestions for more affordable framing options?

October 1, 2013 at 11:35 am

Yeah, custom framing is expensive. My mom has had many pieces custom framed through the years, but none of them were priced as soon as Michaels. Once in a while, they have a 50% off + 30% off sale (they just had one a few weeks ago!). Hopefully another one pops up soon!

patty
    October 1, 2013 at 11:28 am

omg. you never cease to amaze me… your blog is my absolute favorite… i want to bring you home to my house in a brown paper bag tied up… my hubs asks me to to sing all the time :-(… but i love it all… the 7, the card catalo, the framed prints above the catalog… gosh… i just adore everything you do… you are 2 super talented people…and so glad to have found your blog…xoxoxo keep up the awesome work…

October 1, 2013 at 11:35 am

Thank you so much! You’re so sweet : )

Kate (from Michaels!)
    October 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Hello Ashley!

Its not very often we get to see what we frame actually hanging in someone’s home. I love seeing the final results, it looks fantastic! You certainly made the process easy with already knowing what you wanted. It was a pleasure meeting you and working out your framing set up.

Hope to see you again soon,
    Kate

oh, and I am personally loooooving your blog! 🙂

October 1, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Kate! Thanks so much!! You were so much fun to work with and made the process so easy. I’ll pop in and say hi next time I’m in the store : )

Elizabeth
    October 1, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Hi Ashley! I love, love, love your blog!! Just wondering, where did you get your blinds for the back door? We have something similar and I would love something like that for it! Thanks in advance 🙂

October 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Thank you!! They are from Walmart — however! Since then, we bought these blinds from JC Penny for the kitchen window above the sink and we like them a lot more than the Walmart blinds. They look the same, but they work a lot better when you go to raise/lower them. Hope that helps!

Jen
    May 21, 2015 at 12:17 pm

I absolutely love the images of the kitchen. I found it today while looking for inspiration on Pinterest for my island stools that I’m going to paint. Where did you find the gas station number 7?

May 21, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Thank you!! We found it at an antique store here in Richmond. You can find them all over Etsy and in antique stores. Hope you find one!