Pet Talk

FAMILY FIRST

If you follow us on Instagram, you already know that Bentley had to have surgery yesterday. To make the long story short, he completely tore the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in his back right leg. We’re not really sure how it happened, but we soon found out that it’s one of the most common dog injuries. We took Bentley to a specialist and he told us since Bentley is so small, there was a slight chance new cartilage would grow and it would slowly heal itself. For that reason, he told us to wait a month and see if there was any improvement then we would talk about surgery.

About a week went by and one morning, Bentley couldn’t walk. At all. Needless to say, Greg and I were super concerned and called the specialist. After another examination, we found that because of the extra weight Bentley had been putting on the other legs to compensate for the back leg that was out of commission, he injured his front left shoulder – causing him not to be able to walk. At this point, the torn ACL was causing more problems that would only get worse. So, it was time for surgery now rather than later.

Bentley the Pomeranian // 7thhouseontheleft.com

The night before the surgery, Greg was pulling an all-nighter in his office here at home for work and I couldn’t sleep. The thought of Bentley not knowing what was coming his way in the morning and the thought of him being confused and scared had me frustrated and sad. I was completely aware of this being a very routine surgery that is done all the time, but Bentley has a very difficult and complicated health history that could possibly cause complications during simple/routine procedures. Needless to say, this dog mom was worried.

Yesterday morning, Greg and I took him to the hospital and handed him over to the trusted hands of the specialist – and I didn’t cry a tear! Greg was so proud of me, haha. However, I did do the borderline-overbearing-dog-parent thing and gave the nurse an info sheet on Bentley complete with his photo, allergies, health issues, etc. Even though all of that stuff was already in his file, I wanted to make double sure everyone was aware. I know. I’m that dog parent.

Around 1:00 that afternoon, we got a call from the surgeon letting us know the surgery was done and everything went well. There were a few complications working around his previous surgery (scar tissue, etc) as well as a meniscus tear, but all of that was fixed and Bentley was on his way to recovery. Needless to say, this made us super happy – and super anxious to get him home.

Bentley the Pomeranian // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Bentley is now home and resting well-ish. He’s in a lot of pain (lots of whining, grunting, shivering and trying to find a comfortable position), but we hope he somehow knows it’s going to get better. Oh, and he already knows how to take the cone off – which is why one of us needs to be with him at all times. Yes, the next several weeks are going to be… interesting. By the way, I totally shopped his leg in the above photo because there’s a bunch of red spray adhesive that’s holding the bandage and it doesn’t look too pretty.

All of that being said – and yes that really was the “short” version – posts are going to be ultra light this week. Since this surgery was somewhat unexpected, we’ve had to press pause on pretty much everything going on around here – posts and all – and move things to next week. We’ll probably be popping in tomorrow, but we just wanted to share what’s going on in our neck of the woods. So, stay tuned. We’ll have lots of painting and picture-hanging next week that will have you on the edge of your seat. Okay, maybe not on the edge of your seat, but you get the idea ; )

Rachel
    September 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Awww, poor little guy! I hope he has a speedy recovery!

Meghan B
    September 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Our dog had a similar surgery (luxating patella) and we know all too well what that is like. Good luck with the recovery process!

September 26, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Yeah, Bentley had that surgery on both back legs at the same time about four years ago. It was pretty awful!

Sara
    September 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm

He looks so sad in that last photo! I’m sure he feels awful. Good thing he has such awesome parents to take care of him!!

MELANIE
    September 26, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Ask your doctor about calcium supplements. They did wonders for our Rufus! Hope Bentley feels better soon… and you don’t go crazy!

September 26, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Yes! That’s on our list of questions for his follow up in a few weeks. Good to know they’ve worked for so many!

Sarabeth
    September 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Poor pup! Hope recovery is quick and easier than expected! I am the same type of dog mom! I left a {slightly} extreme info sheet when we left our girls home with a dog sitter for three days last Thanksgiving.

Kelly
    September 26, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Aw, I hope he feels better! Our pup is only a year old and he already has hip displaysia. We’re hoping that we can treat it with more natural remedies like water therapy so he doesn’t have to go through any more surgeries. It breaks your heart watching them recover. Good luck!

Katie Johnson
    September 26, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Awe, poor thing. Hope Bentley has a speedy recovery!

For the record I would be the same Dog Mom but I would totally shed a tear. I’m an overbearing dog parent for sure!

susan
    September 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Never ever apologize for being “that dog mom”. It’s people like you that become the advocate for loved ones in the hospital where an advocate is definitely needed. You did the right thing. Hope your sweet little dog recovers quickly. Your puppers is lucky to have y’all.

Allison
    September 26, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Sending love to you and your family! Bentley is lucky to have such wonderful dog parents – don’t feel like you should apologize for that!

Heather
    September 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Poor Bentley! He will be good as new in no time though. One of my babies had knee surgery last year and was up chasing her brother in no time. We probably stress about it more than our babies! Just give him lots of love and remember his pain meds!!

Rebecca
    September 26, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Feel better, Bentley!

Kala M.
    September 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I hope little Bentley heals quickly. My mother has a 15 year old Pom named Sadie. She is similar in color to Bentley but has got quite a bit of gray now. She doesn’t walk as good as she used to and her vision and hearing are going but she still seems healthy. My mother-in-law’s basset hound just sprained on of his back knees. But doesn’t seem to keep him from bouncing around.

Erin
    September 26, 2013 at 1:07 pm

awe! poor guy! I hope he feels better soon!!

KarinK
    September 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Awww! Poor baby! Hopefully he isn’t in as much pain as you think – he could be reacting to the frustration of not being able to feel (as the anesthesia wears off) and use his legs. Have you ever seen the inflatable collars they sell as an alternative to the lampshade affair? I used it with my miniature dachshund, and it was great – it keeps them from chewing, but still allows eating and drinking. Here’s a link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12406695&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=5176462&utm_medium=cse&mr:referralID=e1a8b105-26ce-11e3-bae4-001b2166c2c0

If that link doesn’t work, just go to petsmart.com and type in “inflatable collar”. Sending Bentley my wishes for a speedy recovery!

September 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the link! The nurse told us about them and we were going to check into them later today. Hopefully it would be for comfortable!

Manda Wolf
    September 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Aw, poor baby. And that last picture so says “Mom… don’t take a picture of me like this!!!” It is so sad when this happens to pets because they just don’t understand. Poor thing, hoping he gets better soon!

Noel M
    September 26, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Feel better Bentley! Best wishes from “western” Mville and Scotch the cat 😉

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    September 26, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Oh the poor sweetheart!! Yes, family does come first. If my dog had to be monitored 24/7 you better believe I would adjust my work and life schedule accordingly. I hope he recovers quickly. Kisses to him from CA!

Emily
    September 26, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Sweet Bentley!

I hope that he feels better soon. I’m a new reader to your site and am completely hooked. I am a dog-mom to a chihuahua papillon mix and fully believe you are doing the right thing by putting everything else on hold.

Give your pup some love and enjoy his snuggles!
    Emily

September 26, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Thank you! Glad you found us : )

Amy
    September 26, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Poor guy!

I absolutely know what you’re going through. I’m sure the vet would not be happy with this but… Take the cone off… When my dog had surgery and couldn’t comfortably rest I couldn’t stand watching her struggle with the cone as well. She sleep much better with it off and I stood guard to make sure she didn’t hurt herself… We both felt better. Hopeing for a full and speedy recovery!

caroline
    September 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Awww….feel better Bentley!!!

J. Brooks
    September 26, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Poor little fella. I know you’re glad it’s over and he’s on his way to recovery. Best wishes for all of you.

Barbara
    September 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I’m glad that Bentley is on the road to recovery!

I totally understand what you mean about fearing that Bentley would be scared and confused. I felt that way when my cat had to have minor surgery and I had to leave her at the vet. I was afraid she’d think I abandoned her.

Now that Bentley is home you can pamper him and show him lots of love, which I know you are doing.

Serena | Pretty Fluffy
    September 26, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Sending Bentley big hugs Ashley. He’s so lucky to have you as a dog parent – he couldn’t be in better hands xx

Mary
    September 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Oh no! I hope he has a fast recovery. My 60 lb. border collie mix tore her ACL a few years back. She’s completely back to normal now 🙂

Good thoughts going Bentley’s way!

Chantal
    September 26, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Our pets are like an extension of ourselves. It’s hard to see our little ball of fur who loves us no matter what to be in any kind of pain.
    Bentley is a lucky dog to have a “that kind of parent”. We need much more of those.
    Hope that the recovery goes smooth and well.

Henry Drake
    September 27, 2013 at 6:19 am

I hope he has a fast recovery. We’d all feel the same if we were on your place.

Lisa
    September 27, 2013 at 10:07 am

Awww. you guys are awesome parents! Get well little Bentley!!

Kim
    September 27, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I am the same type of dog mom, so be proud, Bentley is family. One of the comments said to take off the cone. I agree. If that isn’t feasible, tape the edges (inside and out) with duct tape. My 18 month old blue heeler poked a hole in her eye and had to wear a cone for 4 weeks. She also figured out how to get it off. So I taped it with decorative duct tape (while she was in it), then decided to take it one step further and put washi tape at the top of the collar to give it a little pizzazz (Yes, I’m that person!). The washi tape didn’t last that long on the cone, but the duct tape stayed put the entire time. Good luck to all of you.

patty
    September 27, 2013 at 1:37 pm

i’m so sorry about your little boy’s surgery… he looks so loved and i’m sure he’ll get thru this with flying colors.. he’s one lucky little boy to have such great parents who take such great care of him.. Hugs to him and to his Mommy and Daddy too… xoxoxo

Stephanie
    September 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Oh, little buddy! I’m totally one of *those* dog-moms, too. I get it, 100%! With no kiddos of our own yet, our fur-kiddos can be most important! Hope Bentley heals up soon (and that you do ok, too)!

Amy
    September 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Thats so wonderful that Bentley is doing well! Our lab, Bella, has torn both of her ACL’s. Exactly a year apart. We are week 4 of recovery. She jumped up on the couch last week and I nearly panicked. She curled up and went to sleep. Part of the package at our Vet is physical therapy. We have 5 sessions, she walks on a water treadmill for about 20 to 30 minutes, and then some obstacle tests. The best thing you can do is walk them slowly, and keep them down. GOOD JOB parents!

Jamie Myers
    September 27, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Poor pup!! Glad the surgery went well. I like how you did the pet info page with a photo. I may have to steal that (I have 2 cats that pretty much only my fiancé and me can tell apart). Hoping Bentley has a speedy recovery.

🙂

Elizabeth
    September 28, 2013 at 1:16 am

How stressful for all three of you! The beagle of my childhood had that exact same problem — torn ACL, which put strain on his other legs. We had gotten it fixed immediately but the recovery was still a strain, so shortly afterwards he tore the one on the other leg. So it really is common. The good news is that once he got over it all, he was FINE — recovery rates really are great for this.

My current dog is a bouncer; he’s going to hurt himself some day, I’m sure of it, and I’m going to borrow your pet info page idea when he does!

Best wishes to Bentley.

Leslie
    September 28, 2013 at 10:48 am

What kind of breed is Bentley? Other than the coloring, he looks just like a stray I have taken in that I have dubbed a Golden Chihuahua!

September 28, 2013 at 11:29 am

He’s a Pomeranian : )

Kathy M
    September 30, 2013 at 12:01 pm

We went thru this with our toy poodle. First 2 weeks are rough!! Whiny, hurting dog and then pain med that knocked her out….pitiful!!! Good luck with the therapy side of it. One person to move the leg while the other holds their head. Our sweet Molly would snap out of pain and fear then lick you to say I’m sorry!!! Crazy as it sounds, classical music, would sooth her during the therapy. Our daughter used to fall to sleep to a lullaby tape and i guess she remembered it. Good Luck!!!!

September 30, 2013 at 12:34 pm

It doesn’t sound crazy! We’ve recently realized that Bentley really relaxes when we play Frank Sinatra, haha!

pam
    September 30, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Get well Bentley!

Sarah
    September 30, 2013 at 11:26 pm

How sad and stressful for all of you! I am sending happy thoughts out for a speedy recovery and lots of sleep for everyone, mamma and pappa included :/

Carrie Lea
    October 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I have an extreme fondness for your boy. It is scary. My baby girl Leila had the same injury and TTA surgery and it’s a long recovery and she’s having knee cap issues too despite the feet that I told her mama spent her life savings on her biopic knee and she wasn’t allowed any other problems. Hope Bentley is all better soon!

Erin @ The Great Indoors
    October 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Poor guy! Hope he’s feeling better! (I’m obviously way behind on my blog reading… so I’m sure he’s all healed up by now…)

Erin

October 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Thank you, Erin! He’s getting there! Still not using his leg and on strict “puppy bed rest”, haha, but the Dr said he’s on a good track to full recovery : )