Guest Bedroom Painting

SCRATCH THAT & LET’S PAINT

Anonymous by Behr // 7thhouseontheleft.com

We spent a good portion of this last weekend re-painting the guest room. Before we get to what it’s looking like now, we need to back up a bit and explain a few things. First off, here’s what the room looked like when we bought the house…

Guest Room Before // 7thhouseontheleft.com

And here’s what the room looked like after the new floors, freshly painted trim and a few coats of paint on the walls. (Obviously, this is the view from the other side of the room.)

Guest Room Before // 7thhouseontheleft.com

We (well, mostly I) have been hankering to paint this room since the day after we painted it the first time. True story. I liked it, but it still wasn’t exactly what I envisioned. It was a lot bluer than we thought it would be–even bluer than it appears in some of the photos. Basically, it was a very pretty color, but looked more “nursery” and less “classy calm” – “classy calm” being the look we thought we wanted.

Guest Room Before // 7thhouseontheleft.com

We kept trying to make it work by adding dark furniture to add some “weight”. We’ve also changed out the bedding twice, trying to make it look less “nursery”. After trying to make it work for so long, we realized the room as a whole just wasn’t jiving for us. It felt really contrived, forced and not at all “us”, so we decided to start over from square one. We didn’t start painting right away, though. We knew this room wasn’t working for us, but we decided to hold off on repainting again until we were completely sure what color to paint it this time around.

Since we’re kicking the forced “airy classy clam” idea to the curb, you’re probably wondering what direction we’re heading with now. Well, simply put, we’re going with our guts. A while back, we even put together this mood board hoping to generate some direction. Now that we look back on it, we’ve decided to just go with the flow and create a room that forms organically as we go along. We’re still aiming for a room with a “modern rustic vibe with touches of vintage”, and we’re planning on keeping the bed, dresser and (maybe) the sconces… but that’s about it.

Wall Color Inspiration from Vintage Christian Dior Hat Box // 7thhouseontheleft.com

A few weeks ago, thanks to our friends at Target, I got the chance to have a phone chat with one of my favorite interior designers, Nate Berkus. (Yeah, I’m still recovering.) During our talk, I told him a bit about the guest room and the look we were aiming for, then I asked if he had any wall colors to suggest. He talked about how pretty much every guest room looks the same, so if we go with a deeper / moodier color, it’s more unexpected and overall cozier. “Cozy” is definitely something we’re aiming for, so he hit the nail right on the head. That being the case, one of the colors he suggested was a medium β€œclassic gray” similar to vintage Christian Dior hat boxes. Needless to say, this gray-wall-loving gal was happy to hear his suggestions and couldn’t get to the paint store fast enough. For more of our conversation and phone-charging difficulties, check out this post.

Home Depot Paint / 7thhouseontheleft.com

With iPhone in hand, we went to the paint section at Home Depot and collected a bunch of gray paint swatches that we thought were similar to the vintage Dior hat box. Without looking at the names, Greg and I both pointed out Anonymous by Behr – the same color we painted the laundry room. We’re still really loving the color of the laundry room, but we thought maybe would be best to do something a little different. So, we kept looking… and still kept coming back to Anonymous. That’s when it hit us, if we love that color, why not?! Two gallons of Anonymous by Behr in flat finish, please!

We spent the majority of the day on Saturday and a few hours on Sunday painting the room and the closet (ugh, painting closets are the worst!). But… here’s what our not-so blue room is looking like now…

Anonymous by Behr // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Huge difference, right?! Unexpectedly, the black bed and dresser “pop” a lot more than they did with the nursery blue walls. Right now, there isn’t much color going on because we’ve taken everything down to the bare essentials – think of this as the “foundation of the room”, with more color to come.

Anonymous by Behr // 7thhouseontheleft.com

We’re coming back later this week with a post about how we prepped and painted the room and some of our painting tips, so we’ll hold off on the details on the actual process. For now, we’ll just bask in the awesomeness that is Anonymous by Behr – or as we’re now calling it, the “Dior hat box paint”.

Hat box image from here.

Christina
    September 24, 2013 at 10:41 am

Random question, but do you have a glass top on your Hemnes dresser? If so, is it from Ikea and is it specifically made for the Hemnes? I found a glass top (for the Malm dresser) but the width per Ikea’s website is a bit smaller than the width of my Hemnes, so I’m wondering if it will look weird/be fully functional. Thanks!

September 24, 2013 at 10:47 am

I think this one is specifically made for the Hemnes dresser. I could be wrong though… In the store, there was a warehouse stock number for the glass top on the tag along with the stock number for the dresser, so we picked up one of each. Maybe you’ll be able to get more information in store. Hope that helps!

Lindsay S
    September 24, 2013 at 10:48 am

I love love the new wall color. It looks so much more modern and like you said, less nursery. Good change!

Sara
    September 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

I’m normally not a fan of gray walls, but this I really like! Nate gave great advice!

MoLLY
    September 24, 2013 at 10:50 am

It looks so good! Can’t wait to see what bedding you pick. We’re wanting to do something similar in our master bedroom.

Rachel
    September 24, 2013 at 10:50 am

Did you use flat or eggshell finish?

September 24, 2013 at 10:51 am

We always use a flat finish for bedrooms and satin for bathrooms. Unless we’re using Restoration Hardware brand, and then our favorite finish is the “Subtle Velvet”.

Stephanie @ simplebees.blogspot.com
    September 24, 2013 at 10:58 am

I love love love love love that color! I think I may put it on our list for our bedroom. Love the Hemnes dresser too! Do you have a source for the mirror above it?

Pam A New Organized Me
    September 24, 2013 at 11:03 am

I think the gray turned out so well. Your accent color will really stand out. Very nice.

Heidi
    September 24, 2013 at 11:04 am

I can’t get over those floors! I can’t wait to put in hardwood floors in our home.

Allison
    September 24, 2013 at 11:15 am

Oooo love!!

patty
    September 24, 2013 at 11:57 am

awesome

Barb
    September 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Love it.

Procrastamom
    September 24, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Wow! That is a simply amazing transformation and I LOVE that colour!

caroline [the diy nurse]
    September 24, 2013 at 2:48 pm

That gray is spot on. So chic

Elisa
    September 24, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I liked round 2 but I have to admit this is mighty nice! And anything modeled after a dior hat box just oozes with sophistication. What a fantastic inspirational item.

Jenn
    September 24, 2013 at 3:02 pm

While I like the gray, the blue you used after the new floors were installed is the EXACT color I want for my office. Can you tell me what color that is?

September 24, 2013 at 3:41 pm

It is a great blue! It’s Artesian Well by Martha Stewart.

Jenn
      September 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thank you so much! πŸ™‚

Mara
    September 24, 2013 at 3:31 pm

L.O.V.E. that iron bedframe! Can you tell me where it’s from?

September 24, 2013 at 3:39 pm

It’s from Ikea, but unfortunately they don’t carry it anymore : (

Amanda
    September 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I love the gray so much more than the blue. Can’t wait to see the direction with this!

Lora @ Craftivity Designs
    September 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Oh I love the gray and I think it’s so neat that the black furniture pops! Our current bedroom has only one small window but we are moving and our new master will have two huge windows and tons of light. I sooo want to try a deeper moodier color but am worried about our darker bedroom furniture. Funny too, right now our current master is painted in a really similar blue, too — which I was hoping would be more grey toned blue. Can’t wait to see your progress πŸ™‚

Elena @ The Silberez Life
    September 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Ahhhh I love it. The right paint color makes such a difference. This makes me a bit torn though as I have a room that I’m trying to convince myself I can leave white. I want to leave it white only because I’m lazy and don’t want to paint lol. Any thoughts on leaving a room white? Or advice on how not to hate painting?

September 24, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Hmm… That’s a tough one! I love a good white room. No advice on not hating painting, haha! It’s a pain, but the end result is well worth it : )

Nic
    September 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Did you do the interior of the closet the same color? Ironically, we have been going back and forth between anonymous and dark granite for our master even before we found your blog. πŸ™‚ Love the colors! Just thinking it might be too dark for our closet? …and obviously the dark granite is much darker.

September 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Yep, we did the inside of the closet too. We have pretty good light in there and are going to put white shelves up soon – so hopefully that will lighten things up a bit.

Megan
    September 24, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I love that gray! Great choice.

Chantal
    September 25, 2013 at 5:51 am

Can I be your first guest? Just in case you needed one! It reay looks classy and calm. It always surprises me how a paint color can make a room look o.k. to WOW! The room looks alive!I heard that a room looks more grounded if you had a black piece of furniture in it. I can see with your dresser it totally makes sense. I hope you are not changing you bedding. The colors are perfect. I guess you were thinking out of the box for this room! HA!HA!

September 25, 2013 at 8:27 am

Haha, come on over! ; )

Alison
    September 25, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I absolutely love the new color! We have been painting our kitchen cabinets over the past couple of weeks and after this project I may put my paint brushes away for a few weeks, but WOW what a difference!!!

christelle harris
    September 25, 2013 at 11:39 pm

love it !!!!! do you think that color can be match in Benjamin moore????? and use into a master bathroom??????

September 26, 2013 at 11:54 am

I’m sure Benjamin Moore has something similar : )

Sally G
    September 26, 2013 at 12:11 am

Wow. It’s gorgeous! So cool that you got to ask Nate about it. It’s seriously striking and cozy and everything great. I’m inspired. Grey is such a great color!

Jenni
    September 26, 2013 at 1:09 am

Unbelievable transformation! Really love the new wall colors, it looks amazing!

Kate
    September 27, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Um…YES.

Jessica
    October 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Love the guest room! It’s so modern and elegant. πŸ˜€

Kathleen
    October 4, 2013 at 2:36 pm

We painted our master that color. I was iffy with our recent room decor change and incorporating more antiques but it looks even better with medium wood stains. Great color! Our house is dubbed 50 shades of gray because I made it a goal to use a shade of gray in every room. Looks good so far.

Emily
    October 20, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Love Annonymous! Can you tell me what color stain you used on your floor and if you’re still liking it today?

October 28, 2015 at 10:00 am

Oh yes, we still love our floor stain! It’s Minwax’s Dark Walnut – but we had the floor guys water pop it to brig out the grain a bit more.

Dawn
    May 21, 2016 at 1:51 pm

What type of flooring is it? I have gray walls and I’m trying to pick the floors.yours look awesome!

June 26, 2016 at 10:10 pm

It’s Dark Walnut stain by Minwax.

Katy
    October 19, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Would you suggest this color for exterior? I love how it looks on your wall!

October 24, 2016 at 9:41 am

It all depends on your particular exterior, but I actually recommended this color to a friend for their exterior project and they loved it!