Guest Bedroom

Cha-cha-cha-cha Changes

Yep, we’re back at it with the guest room switch-a-roo. Like we mentioned in this post, we’re basically starting all over again and transforming the once airy, nursery-like room into something more cozy, fun, and modern rustic. To start off, we stripped the room down to the “bones” and painted the pool blue walls a deep, moody gray…

Anonymous by Behr //

Now that the room was painted, the first thing on our to-do list was new bedding. After searching high and low online, I found a few designs on Target’s website that I had to check out in person…

Guest Bedding //

I stood there in the bedding isle of Target trying to decide between these two for a solid 15 minutes. I’m always a fan of pool blue, but the coral(ish) red along with the geometric pattern kept tugging at my heart strings. Keeping in mind we’re going for a “modern rustic” feel, I was concerned the blue design would look more mid-century modern, so the coral(ish) red it was.

After I got it home and played around with a few combos–mixing and matching with other blankets and pillows we had around the house, this is what I came up with…

Guest Bedding //

Please excuse the wrinkles in the “wrinkle free” sheets. Even though we love, love the softness of the bamboo sheets, we’re planning on replacing those soon as well because I’m tired of the wrinkles.

Guest Bedding //

I added a folded gray quilt (the same one we used in Guest Bedroom 1.0) near the bottom of the bed to break up the pattern, add another layer of texture and tie in the gray walls.

Guest Bedding //

I’m normally not a fan of using shams that come with a comforter (I have no idea why, I’m just not), but I really like the look of them in this pillow scenario. It ties the front in with the back and brings the pattern full circle. In front of them, we have standard pillows (aka “sleeping pillows”) and in front of those are large Euro pillows (from Target). Like the gray quilt, I feel like these ground the bed and compliment the gray walls. The blue pillows are from the old Nate Berkus line at Linens & Things. We used these in Guest Bedroom 1.0 and in our master bedroom in our first apartment. Six years later, I’m still in love with the tweed fabric and perfect blue hue. As for the pillow front and center, I’m going back and forth on this one (here from Anthropologie), but I’ll come back to that in a second.

Guest Bedding //

Oh, and the new wall art above the bed. We got these wood bus tickets on sale at Pottery Barn a few months ago (sadly, they aren’t available anymore). When we got them, we weren’t quite sure where they’d go, but we knew they would look good somewhere. I love how the red letters and numbers are a nod to the main color in the bedding without being too overpowering. The raw wood really helps bring in the “rustic” part of “modern rustic” and will go really well with the soon-to-be-here side tables.

Back to the pillows. I keep thinking the front pillow may be too busy, making the bed look too “circus”. I love the colors and the pattern, but when I take it away, I’m like, “Ahhh…”

Guest Bedding //

…Then on the other hand, the bed still needs another pillow. Even though I don’t love it, I haven’t been able to find one that works as well as the Anthropologie pillow.

Guest Room in Progress //

If we decide to get rid of the pillow on the bed, its home will be the chair in the corner of the room. I hate this chair. I hated it even more when the walls were blue. I loved it when it was in my first apartment in college, and I like the shape, size and sturdiness of it. The fabric/color is all wrong for us now, though. That said, with the new wall color, I hate it a little less, and I don’t mind it hanging out until we find something better. Oh, and the floor lamp, even though you can’t see the whole thing in this photo, was a find from Home Goods for $30. Gotta love Home Goods.

Guest Bedding //

So, for now, this is what we’re working with. The next step is adding side tables (which should be here any day), lamps (I’m thinking white large lamps), changing out the hardware on the dresser, curtains (I have NO idea what kind of curtains to do in here) then on to more wall art to go next to the chair in the corner and, lastly, accessories.

We’re hoping to have this room wrapped up in time for family to stay with us over the holidays. If I was a betting gal, I’d bet the curtains will be what slows me down. Why do curtains have to be so hard?!

Dennis Bullock
    October 9, 2013 at 9:47 am

Wow! This is so great guys!

October 9, 2013 at 10:06 am

If you don’t mind me asking, what grey did you choose (brand/name)? I love it. It’s so warm. I have painted my bedroom twice (in 2 years) trying to get the perfect grey and still have not…. It’ s a very large room so it’ s a pain to paint. I thought darker would be great since it’s such a big room, but my husband is very weary of that. I bought a sample and put it on the wall, and he was like “no you are not painting our room that dark!”

October 9, 2013 at 10:38 am

The wall color is Anonymous by Behr. If the room has a good amount of light, dark gray (like this) doesn’t turn out as dark as you’d think. Hope that helps!

John @ Our Home from Scratch
    October 9, 2013 at 10:09 am

Beautiful space! Simple decor too. Nice. I love your floors. Our bedrooms are on our second floor and as soon as the carpet is sufficiently beat up, we’re installing hardwood.

October 9, 2013 at 10:23 am

Target has some great stuff these days. Helps that it is wallet friendly too 🙂

October 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

Ahh very pretty and cozy! That colour on the new bedding is fantastic. I vote you leave the Anthropologie pillow on the bed. I really like it there.

October 9, 2013 at 10:41 am

I actually like the Athro pillow on the bed. it doesn’t look too busy and it brings all the colors together.

I highly recommend the Threshold Performance sheet sets. Super comfy, soft and don’t wrinkle!!! Here’s the link to the set I bought but they offer other patterns!

October 9, 2013 at 10:43 am

Yes! We’ve heard great things about them and they’re on our shopping list.

October 9, 2013 at 11:03 am

I love all of the pops of color! They look amazing with the gray wall color.

Stacey @ Likes to Smile
    October 9, 2013 at 11:31 am

Stunningly gorgeous! I’m loving it!

October 9, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I really love what you have done with this room! I actually really like the front pillow on the bed, but it looks great on the chair, too. I can’t wait until I have a proper guest room! #aptlivingproblems. : )

October 9, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Thanks! Oh, we know all too well about apartment living problems, haha. We kept a blow up mattress in the office closet, haha.

October 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Love love love!!!!

October 9, 2013 at 1:04 pm

This is so lovely. I like the Anthro pillow on the bed as well. You guys are always such an inspiration to me 🙂

Leanne W.
    October 9, 2013 at 2:08 pm

I love it! I think the Anthropolgie pillow looks great on the bed! And by the way I love that chair, too! 🙂

Tiffany {A Touch of Grace}
    October 9, 2013 at 2:12 pm

The room is really coming together! I already looks super cozy to me with the new bedding and art work. I really do love that gray color. It gives the room a warm feel.

October 9, 2013 at 2:16 pm

put me down for a big YES vote for the anthro pillow on the bed… :-)… love your blog xo

caroline [the diy nurse]
    October 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Such a fan on the coral! Happy you went for it- and I love it with that grey blanket too 🙂

October 9, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Hmm… I am in the minority as I am NOT a fan of the pillow, but love everything else. For some reason, I see something mirroring the wall art in shape–with a graphic pattern (less bohemian than the current pillow)–not this, but like this:

That chair is GREAT. Why don’t you have it reupholstered once you have everything else sorted out? As always, you and Greg are inspirational trendsetters.

October 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Aw, thank you so much! Oooh, and thanks for the link! I’ve been scouring Joss & Main this week trying to find something, haha. I love the idea of a pillow mirroring the wall art in shape!

Casey C.
    October 10, 2013 at 12:10 am

I always play it too safe when it comes to mixing patterns. You do it very well however. Love where you’re headed and I love 7th House!

Becky Carl
    October 10, 2013 at 5:04 am

Hi Ashley,

I love how you put things together that I would never dream of when looking at them in a store! I am anxious to see about the curtains….I will be redecorating a house soon….I cant get away from a retro vintage look. Any suggestions as far as “curtains” go for that look? Or something very simple, clean, and comfy looking…

I will be using this paint color for sure in one of the bedrooms. Keep sending all these great ideas – I still love what yall did with the garage – awesomeness!!

<3 Becky

October 10, 2013 at 10:41 am

I love West Elm for curtains – and I think some of their designs are very “mid century”. Like these or these. I hope that helps! : )

ashley @
    October 10, 2013 at 9:38 am

I love the front pillow and do not think it’s too busy. It brings a pop of “fun” and actually pulls together all of the other patterns really nicely. Cute redesign!

Amanda Knotts
    October 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Love it, Ashley! I’m dying to see it in real life. 😉 If you ever want to sell the stuff you don’t like (like that chair) let your little cousin know! I’d love to buy that off your hands. I love all the stuff you decorate with. 🙂

October 10, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Hahaha! I’ll be sure to let you know! 😉

Chernee's House
    October 10, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I think the artwork above the bed makes the room! It brings out the color of the new bed spread and just adds that vintage feel to take the room to the next level.

Love the room color as well!

October 10, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I LOVE the pillow from Anthro in the front! It really pulls it all together! As soon as I saw the first pic of the new bedding, I was jealous that you’re able to do that – I always seem to have a 1/2 finished bed. I think the secret is that front pillow that ties it all together. Hope you keep it 🙂

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    October 11, 2013 at 2:56 am

I really like it with the pillow. Also, can’t beat a cream curtain (wildcard) as a warm natural color nod to the wood tickets and wood floor. In our last home, we had dark gray walls, wood floors, white trim, and cream curtains (which never got ironed, as you’ll see in the pic) really did the trick to tie it all together.
    Here’s the room:

October 11, 2013 at 7:57 am

Yeah, those are definitely high on our list! Anymore pattern next to the bed would have me going crazy, haha.

October 11, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I’m liking where you’re going- but agree that something is looking slightly off here. The anthro pillow is beautiful so I definitely like it on the bed, but I think it’s actually the blue pillows throwing this off, Maybe because of their size?

Michelle A.
    October 16, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I love love love where you’re going with the layering of patterns and colors here – I’m one of those people who can never quite envision this stuff for myself in my own space, but I can totally admire when others do it well! I’m a fan of the pillow on the bed, myself.

October 20, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Where is the gray quilt coverlet from? Is it very warm?

October 21, 2013 at 9:20 am

It’s from Target a few years back.
      It’s a “medium weight” quilt, so it’s not too warm, but still a good amount of warmth – if that makes any sense! Haha : )

November 2, 2013 at 10:13 pm

where did you get the bed frame?!

November 3, 2013 at 4:05 am

It’s from Ikea, but they don’t carry it anymore : (

May 15, 2016 at 1:52 am

I like this bedroom and wish I could send a picture of my son’s bedroom he and his girlfriend remodeled.