Half Bathroom

THE HALF BATHROOM: LET’S GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD

A few nights ago, I was cleaning the half bathroom and it suddenly dawned on me… why haven’t we finished this room yet? I really have no idea. It wouldn’t take much… wall art, a few small accessories and a pretty soap dispenser and we’d be in business. Here’s a glimpse at what it looked like when we bought the house…

Half Bathroom Before / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Yeah, it wasn’t pretty but the photo actually made it look better than it really was. The countertop was just sitting on top of the vanity and on top of that, the vanity was ultra short – way too short for my 6’7″ better half. And here’s what the bathroom is looking like these days…

Half Bathroom Progress // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Hardest room to take a photo of… ever. As you can see, what’s there now is pretty Plain Jane and completely lacking color. On the other hand, it’s come a long way since we got the keys to the house. Over time, it dort of became a project by association. When the hardwood floors were done in the laundry room, we naturally included this room. When we ordered the cabinets for the kitchen, we also placed an order for another sink cabinet. When we re-painted the laundry room, that meant the half bath as well.

To date, we’ve removed the vanity and toilet, replaced the tile floors with hardwood, installed a new toilet, had a new vanity installed, added quartz countertops along with an under-mount sink, painted the walls and the trim, added a window shade and hung a hand towel and toilet paper holder. Seeing as how there’s not much to do to call this room “done”, we thought it would be fun to focus on this area over the next few weeks between our other projects. And here’s our starting point…

Bathroom Mirror // Ballard Designs // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Almost a year ago, we got this mirror for the half bathroom. It’s fun, slightly rustic (the finish is “distressed” and slightly modern all in one – aka, our cup of tea. We have yet to hang the mirror in the bathroom because the current light fixture – well, the light bulb that’s sticking out of the wall – is too low. So, before we can hang the mirror, we have to remove the light, patch the hole and replace the existing exhaust fan with an exhaust fan / overhead light combo. Aside from that, all we have left is to decorate. We aren’t completely set on a “vision” that’s planned down to a T, but here’s what we have in mind so far…

Half Bathroom / 7thhouseontheleft.com

As I mentioned earlier, we already have the mirror and we’ve also purchased a few of these hand towels (I ordered 2, 1 for a back up and I’m more than kind of obsessed with them) as well as the soap dispenser. We picked out this wooden box to go on the back of the toilet (along with something else – we just aren’t sure what yet) because we like the “woodsy” vibe and think it would be a neat way to bring some rustic elements in as well as provide some small storage.

As you can see from the big question mark, we’re still trying to hunt down wall art – both for the wall to the right of the sink and the wall behind the toilet. For the wall to the right of the sink, I’ve been trying to design something, but I haven’t come up with the right design just yet. I really want to design something more on the modern side with a some colors that would tie in with the hand towel. As for the wall behind the toilet, we’re thinking maybe a grouping of artwork or one big piece – like maybe a stretched canvas or something. The jury is still out on that one.

So, yeah. That’s where we are and what we’re going to be working on over the next few weeks between all of the other projects we have going on. We’re looking forward to having the tiniest room in the house with a big ‘ole “Done!” seal on it.

Cristina
    October 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

It’s looking so cute! We’re in the middle of doing our half bath too … well, I started it 3 months ago, worked on it for 2 nights, and haven’t done a thing since. 😉 They’re so difficult to get just the way you want them! Yours is looking awesome though. I think that new countertop made SUCH A difference, completely changed the feel of it!

Amy
    October 24, 2013 at 11:13 am

Hi, what is the wall color that you have chosen? I’m referring to the little circle that says Wall Color. Looks like a beautiful color! Thanks

October 24, 2013 at 11:18 am

It’s Anonymous by Behr – which is actually the same color in the bathroom progress photo. Depending on the light, it sometimes photographs a bit lighter than it is.

Jennifer
    October 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I’m in luurrve with that mirror! I even tried to make one with disappointing results. Yes, half baths, especially those without windows, are particularly hard to photograph. Looking forward to what you come up with. I’m painting our half bath a very similar color.

Andrea
    October 24, 2013 at 11:49 am

I love the mirror. I’ve been trying to convince my husband we should replace the pedestal sink in our half bath with a vanity. But he’s not buying it since our house in only 18 months old and I want to move closer to the city next year (we live in the middle of nowhere. Lesson learned, rent when you move from one coast to another and have never been there before!) I keep trying to convince him for resell, it’d be so much better!

October 24, 2013 at 11:56 am

We kept going back and forth between a vanity and pedestal sink for this bathroom but are so glad we went with the vanity because it offers so much more storage. Maybe try the storage avenue? haha : ) Good luck!

patty
    October 24, 2013 at 1:09 pm

love this bath and can’t wait to see what you come up with for art… you will find he perfect art i’m sure of that… the towels are to die for.. just perfect! on a separate note… the hubs is 6’7″.. my goodness… the photo of the 2 of you look like you’re the same height… and here i was thiking you were little…now i don’t know what to think.. pls share… 🙂 you’ve got me curious… 6’7″ play basketball in high school?? hahah…

October 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Haha! I’m 5’8″(ish), so he’s definitely slouching down in that photo. He never played sports in high school or college – he was/is more of the music/computer geek type : )

Kelley
    October 24, 2013 at 1:21 pm

We just did the SAME thing in our bathroom. I actually just blogged about it today, finally patching the wall, moving the light, etc. Good luck! At least it’s not your only bathroom 🙂 I love the mirror btw!

Erin
    October 24, 2013 at 1:58 pm

love the towels! And the colors are my favs and will look great in my (one) bathroom. But, alas, I can’t imagine spending $48 on one towel. :o( Not in our budget. I can’t wait to see how they look in your room!

October 24, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Yeah, the bath towels are a bit pricey. Hopefully they have a bath sale soon! I love those!

Rebecca
    October 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm

reeeeally love the towels!

Stephanie
    October 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I am loving the mood board for your bath! Could you recommend an idea for a shower curtain? I’m seriously considering going dark in my guest bath!

October 24, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Hmm, that’s a good question… you can’t go wrong with classic white (we have this one and love it). It would really pop with this wall color. You should also check out this one, this one or this one. Hope that helps!

Heidi
    October 24, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I love your blog so much!

October 24, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Aww, thanks so much!

October 24, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Yay for spouse paint color approval! haha

caroline [the diy nurse]
    October 24, 2013 at 6:58 pm

We have that mirror in our master and I’m obsessed with it. It’s one of my favorite pieces to date. So happy you have it too 🙂 And I love those towels!

Crystal
    October 24, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I am loving the gray paint! I’m so glad that it’s getting the attention it deserves. What a great neutral.

Claudia Kiss
    October 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm

How did I just find your blog!? I’m obsessed! Love your style, the projects, everything! Please keep it coming!!

October 24, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Thanks so much!! : )

Cindy
    October 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Hi Ashley,
    I’ve been following you for a long time, but I think this is the first time I’ve ever commented. I love what you are doing in the half bath and thought some of the striped art from Jen Ramos at cocoaandhearts (dot) com would look amazing with those super fun towels you bought! Or you could easily DIY something like that in the color scheme that you want! Good luck & I can’t wait to see it all put-together!
    Cindy

October 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm

That’s a super idea! Thank you : )

Sarah
    October 28, 2013 at 10:23 am

Hi there! I almost never comment on the blogs I follow because I find I never really have anything useful to add to the brilliance of the bloggers themselves!
    However, I found myself moved to comment based on your need for “modern” wall art and knowing that you like to diy if possible. My husband and I created our own giant piece of wall art about 3 months ago based on this blog post: http://thenewdomestic.com/2010/03/weekend-art-project/. It was SO easy! Grab the canvas in your size choice from Michaels, or whatever craft store is available to you, grab the paint you want to tie in to you decor, and grab some really narrow painter’s tape, and you’ve got a fun evening with your hunny! It really was a fantastic thing to do together, and the process of taking the tape off once the paint was dried was very exciting! We used dark brown, and two shades of green.
    Anyways, just a suggestion, so feel free to take it or leave it. 🙂 Good luck with the rest of the room!
    Sarah

October 28, 2013 at 12:20 pm

It’s so funny that you mention this because over the weekend I pulled out a blank canvas we had stashed away in the attic for a similar project. I’m still not completely sure what to do with it, but we were just going to wing it, haha. Thanks so much for the link!

Colleen
    October 29, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Love the design! I wanted to warn you though regarding that soap dispenser. I was so excited for that exact one (and the green one as well) for our new home. I am a huge fan of Bath and Body Works moisturizing hand soaps. Unfortunately, in our area, all of these dispensers had a small gap (where the mechanism would move downward when the latch was pressed) that would hang open when not in use. Fruit flies appeared, and you can imagine from there. We have the dispensers now cleaned our and in storage, hoping to find a solution where we can use them without having annoying little creatures appear. Please let us know if you have any suggestions or solutions with yours!

October 29, 2013 at 3:51 pm

That’s so odd. We actually have the same dispenser (in clear) in our kitchen and haven’t had any problems with it. We haven’t noticed any gaps, but we keep Dawn dish detergent in it.

Rebecca
    October 31, 2013 at 9:07 am

O.M.G. Those towels are totally amazeballs! I totally want to order them now as a jumping off point for our master bath remodel…which isn’t going to happen for quite a while haha.