Organized Greeting Cards //

Some people collect stamps. I collect greeting cards. I hate making a trip to the store just because I have to pick up a last minute birthday card or a card to go a long with a gift, so I started collecting them. If I see an abnormally cute or clever card, I just go ahead and buy it, even if I have no idea who I’ll give it to. Needless to say, my card collection has grown by leaps and bounds over the past few years.

Greeting Card Storage //

I’ve been keeping my stash in one of the cabinets in my office, but the boxed Thank You card collection is slowly overtaking the occasion cards. That being the case, I decided it was about time to give the occasion cards a new, more organized home. Before working on an organization solution, I went through all of the cards and got rid of the ones that were out of date or not our style anymore. I stand by the philosophy that a card tells a lot about the person’s style. For the next day or two, I kept my eye open during my errand-running for a container to corral and organize the now slimmed-down collection of greeting cards.

Nate Berkus File Box //

I picked up this Nate Berkus file box from Target. The color and pattern made me happy just like cards do, so it seemed fitting. On top of that, it was the perfect size for what we needed, and it would make me keep my collection a reasonable size.

Organized Greeting Cards //

Before I got started organizing the cards, the first thing I did was attach a bookplate label to the front of the box. Everything is better with a label.Β

To get the organization ball rolling, I made a list of all of the categories of cards that I had on hand plus a few categories I needed to replenish (like Congrats and Get Well). After a minute or two of figuring out the categories, I came up with a reasonable list: Birthday, Birthday (for Kids), Birthday (for Family), Thank You (like I mentioned earlier, I keep boxed sets of Thank You cards in my office but this section is for single/special Thank You cards), Blank, Get Well, Just Because, Congrats, Anniversary, Wedding, Baby, Sympathy, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Holiday.

Organized Greeting Cards //

While at Target, I also picked up two packages of gold Nate Berkus file folders. Because I was having a “bad handwriting day” – and the fact that I’m obsessed with my label maker – I went down my list and made a label for each category. Whenever I’m making labels for a lot of things at once, I type everything out, putting two spaces between each word,Β then hit the “Print” button to print them all out in fell swoop. You’ll have to cut between each word by hand rather than with the machine, but you save a lot of label tape this way.

Organized Greeting Cards //

Once all of the file folders were labeled, I put them in the box and loaded in the cards. If feels like a tiny weight has been lifted off of my shoulders to know these are organized and ready to go whenever we need a card for someone special. If only every other area of our house was this organized. One tiny mountain at a time.

Megan S
    October 14, 2013 at 10:30 am

ABSOLUTELY GENIUS! I had an old card holder from Hallmark that was just not pretty anymore after years of use so I’ve been on the hunt for a nice replacement and this is perfect! Great job guys!

October 14, 2013 at 10:39 am

Thank you for posting this! Organizing our greeting cards has been on my list of things to do for a long time and it’s great to get different ideas like this to hopefully get the ball rolling!

October 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

I love love love this idea! I’m adding Target to my to do list today!

October 14, 2013 at 11:28 am

I have system, except its an antique tooled leather writing container. it’s small and makes me have to buy cards more often but I luv the look and feel. and the green matches my craft room to boot, lol!

Darnetha @ ChippaSunshine
    October 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Love this idea! I need to start buying birthday cards in bulk. Your head would spin at the amount of birthday parties my kids get invited to.

October 15, 2013 at 12:41 am

Great tip about saving tape in the label maker. I’m also obsessed with mine but never though that doing it that way really saves a ton of tape. Thanks for the tip!

J Kendricks
    October 15, 2013 at 4:01 am

I like this idea a lot. I especially like the bright yellow box. It’s a happy color and I would enjoy seeing it each time I opened my closet. I use to have a card organizing book with pockets and it drove me crazy! This is a MUCH better way to store them. Thanks for sharing!

October 15, 2013 at 4:03 am

I’m liking the idea of collecting cards to have on hand. The box is super cute!

October 15, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Oh man…cards say a lot about a persons style? I need to start giving new cards.

Oh wait…I guess Hoops & Yoyo are kinda my style…how embarrassing.

October 15, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Hoops & Yoyo are awesome : )

October 17, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I just want to say your blog is like crack to me. I want to read and do everything!!! Great ideas, keep up the awesome work!

October 17, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Hahaha! That’s hilarious! Thanks so much : )

Whitley S.
    October 28, 2013 at 12:21 pm

You are a freaking goddess! I never thought about doing that for all my labels! Can we just take a moment to imagine how much label tape has been wasted by the amount of times I’ve trimmed the sides because I didn’t like the white space. Oh the wastefulness!

March 1, 2016 at 1:43 am

I’m a bit OCD on cards myself….Hey, That’s a ‘Good Thing’. I have been using a sturdy boot box but, alas, it has been showing signs of severe use. I will have one of those fine-finds from Target soon … Thanks,