On the Set

ON THE SET: ONCE UPON A TIME

On the Set: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

In the spirt of some of our favorite Fall TV shows now being in full swing, we thought it was about time to pull together another “On the Set” post. Our last one was four months ago! For this edition, we thought it would be fun to feature one of Greg’s and my must-watch shows…

On the Set: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

It’s the apartment we all wish we had when we were 19. This cozy shabby chic industrial loft belongs to Mary Margaret Blanchard… er… Snow White on ABC’s Once Upon a Time. Though it hasn’t been featured in the current season (not yet anyway), it’s still my favorite set on the show, and definitely one of my favorite fictional homes in modern TV Land.

On the Set: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

The loft kind of reminds me of a white-washed Anthropologie store. There’s a lot going on, including an assortment of textures (there’s wood, brick, steel, and concrete), mix-matched furniture ranging from mid-century to farm house, and a plethora of area rugs.

On the Set: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

On the Set: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Downstairs is the kitchen, bathroom, living/dining area, a sewing table and Mary Margaret’s Snow’s bedroom. Up the stairs is a another bedroom, which, in the second episode of the first season becomes Emma’s room.

On the Set: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

On the Set: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

In various episodes, I’ve noticed a ton of accessories from Anthropologie – especially in the kitchen area. I love the wire baskets on the wall in the kitchen that are used as shelves, and the little pops of muted colors here and there are really charming… pun intended, haha. Speaking of David Charming, isn’t it neat how Snow White and Prince Charming are getting married in real life?!

On the Set: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Everything is really open – like any real loft should be – with lots of exposed beams and industrial accents.Β Next to the kitchen, and open to the rest of the loft, is Mary Margret’s bedroom area (you can see it in the background of the above photo).

On the Set: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Probably my favorite aspect of the set is how the set designer leaves little “Easter eggs” around the apartment tying Mary Margaret to the Snow White weΒ know from the classic Disney film, with little ceramic animals, woodsy elements and bird motifs here and there.

Get the Look: Once Upon A Time // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Wire Baskets / Whitewashed Horse / Harmon Sofa / Monogrammed Mug
Sugar Bowl / Wood Clock / White Bed / Desk Lamp

Now it’s your turn… what your favorite TV or movie dwellings?

Melanie
    October 22, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I LOVE this post! Thank you for putting it together!

Linda Dean
    October 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

This is amazing. I want the whole loft!

Melissa
    October 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm

So fun!! I love how you captured the look in your round up. It’s perfect!

Lindsay S
    October 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm

You have such an eye!! This is a great representation of the whole look of the place. I love this show!

Meghan B
    October 22, 2013 at 1:21 pm

OUAT is my FAVORITE show ever! And that sofa is to die for. Just saying.

Diane
    October 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Too bad Anthropologie is all about Chinese imports. So much so, after my first visit when a store came to town two years ago, I NEVER returned.

Folks, vote with your dollars and buy American!

Anna
      October 23, 2013 at 11:20 am

Seriously? All of that super expensive stuff is from China? Gosh, I can’t imagine how much they’d charge for something made in the U.S.!!

Jessica
    October 22, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Oh, such a lovely apartment. I never really pay much attention to it before…I guess I need to start. πŸ™‚

Joe C
    October 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I love this show! Good attention to detail and also thanks for keeping me up to speed on pop culture news (their engagement). Have you seen the Alice in Wonderland spinoff? I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, and I’m already two episodes behind on Once Upon a Time.
    Joe

October 22, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Thanks, Joe! Yeah, we’ve watched the first few episodes of Wonderland and so far, not a fan πŸ™ I think it’s because we can’t get past Sayid from Lost as Jafar, haha! We have our fingers crossed it will get better though!

ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com
    October 22, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I love Once Upon A Time and Mary Margaret’s loft is one of my favorites! I always wanted to know what the upstairs looks like though, because they are always coming and going from the upstairs area while MM and Prince Charming stay in the bed on the first floor.

Maddie
    October 22, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Love these posts! Are you Modern Family fans?? I love that show and each house has such a different style, that would be a fun feature!

October 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm

We haven’t really watched that show much, but I saw a Modern Family curated collection on Joss & Main a few weeks ago and it was awesome!

Cindy
    October 22, 2013 at 5:53 pm

My favorite TV set would be Cam & Mitchell’s house on Modern Family. I love every detail about their house. I did like the bamboo blinds better from season 1. I also like the main character’s house on the new ABC show, “Trophy Wife” (sorry, don’t know names yet) I always notice the details on sets of my favorite shows. Glad to know I’m not the only one. πŸ™‚

Nicki
    October 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Great idea for a post! So much fun! I love that idea!

Renie
    October 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm

This is one of my favorite shows and definitely favorite place (although Regina’s house is pretty great too)!

ps. love your blog – I’ve been reading it every day for the past 3 years-ish πŸ™‚

October 22, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Aw, thank you so much for reading! That really means a lot : )

Tracy
    October 23, 2013 at 8:52 am

That was great! I’ve never seen that show but the house was really very much how I would imagine a modern Snow White house to be.

Do you watch Sleepy Hollow? I don’t know if they’ve done a lot of houses really but I like how they show all the old parts of the town. Plus it has a lot of really great one-liners that always make me giggle.

October 23, 2013 at 9:23 am

Haven’t watched it yet, but it’s on our Hulu queue : )

Christine
    October 23, 2013 at 9:22 am

I loved the loft in this show as well. Great job finding the bits and pieces that could help recreate the look in your own home!

Another show home I like is the beach house on Revenge. I would love to have my own beach house, but I can settle for a nice mix of wood tones and casual fabrics that don’t scream nautical. =)

Kristen
    October 23, 2013 at 11:32 am

Happy dance! Thank you, thank you for this post! I love this loft! I want it all!!

Anna
    October 23, 2013 at 11:34 am

I’m not a huge fan of “Once Upon a Time” now. I watched the first two seasons & like “Lost” before it, felt it’s a better plot for something shorter, like a mini-series, instead of a multi-season show.
    However, I love the set designs! I’ve made quite a few mood boards on olioboard.com, inspired by Snow’s apartment & the Mayor’s office. I love the birch tree wallpaper (but could never afford it) & I really like certain aspects of Snow’s loft. I’m not as much into “shabby chic” type stuff but the whimsical take on industrial/rustic/mid-century stuff is all me.

kristen
    October 23, 2013 at 2:34 pm

“It’s the apartment we all wish we had when we were 19.”

nailed it! i swoon over that apartment!

lish
    October 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Love the idea of a post like this. I’ve been a fan of Once Upon A Time since it first aired and have always thought Mary Margaret ‘s apartment was cute and lofty feeling. Even tho its got a country theme it still feels modern. Good job putting together this board I love it! Anthropology always has the cutest home accessories!

Phoebe
    October 28, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Love this post! What a great idea.

I love Courtney Cox’s house on Cougar Town.

Yvonne
    January 10, 2014 at 7:33 am

On my gosh!! I just found your blog by doing a search for Mary Margaret’s apt. LOVE it!! (Her loft and your blog!) And, I live in Midlothian, VA! I’ve been on a quest for all things related to MM’s loft. Do you have any idea where the bedspread and pillows can be purchased? Thanks for your help. Looking forward to spending time with a cup of coffee and reading up on your blog! :))

January 10, 2014 at 10:44 am

Thanks so much! : ) I’m not sure where her specific bedding is from, but I’d definitely check Anthropologie or maybe even Urban Outfitters to find something similar. Hope that helps!