Guest Bedroom

GETTING THE GUEST ROOM READY FOR THE HOLIDAYS

Even though Guest Room 3.0 isn’t “done done” as Greg calls it, we’re working toward getting it spruced up and comfy enough for family that are going to be staying with us around the holidays.Β One thing we like to do for our overnight guests is have a “welcome basket” waiting for them in their room. It’s our way of making them a little more comfortable and at home.

Guest Room Welcome Basket // 7thhouseontheleft.com

In the basket, we have a few magazines (including our favorite “great food around town” issue of our local magazine), a crossword puzzle book, three small bottles of water and a few late night (or early riser) snacks. We have a container readily available in the linen closet just outside their room with any extra toiletries they may need (shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc), so they’re wasn’t any need for that type of stuff in the basket.

Guest Room Welcome Basket // 7thhouseontheleft.com

For the late night snacks, I repackaged a few of our favorites in mason jars. Side note:Β Seriously, mason jars are freaking amazing. They’re inexpensive, super cute, practical and easy to find. Of course, they’re welcome to whatever is in the kitchen, but we thought a few snacks in their room might be convenient. For early risers, we have some mini cranberry citrus scones. For the late night snack, we have some sweet and salty trail mix. It’s actually called “Monster Mix”but we renamed it “Squirrel Mix” to go along with the Fall touches throughout the house for Thanksgiving – and we have a ton of squirrels in our yard, haha. For our Christmas guests, we’re totally going to change it to “Reindeer Mix”.

I made labels for the tops of the mason jars by tracing the lids on kraft card stock, cutting it out and popping it in between the lid and the ring of the top. Easy as that.

Guest Room Welcome Basket // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Now that the welcome basket is in place, we feel a little more ready to have family stay in our guest room over the upcoming holidays – even though we have yet to find just the right curtains.

PS – Wayfair invited us to share more of our tips for getting the guest room holiday-ready. You can read all seven tips over here.

Val
    November 13, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Such a great idea! I need to remember to do this when my family comes to stay with us during Spring break next year.

Rebekah
    November 13, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Where do you get your mason jars from?

November 13, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Normally you can find them at the grocery store (in the past, I’ve bought them from Kroger, Food Lion and Martins). You can also get them at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. If you luck out there, you can always order them from Amazon. Hope that helps!

Sara
    November 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm

My husband ALWAYS picks up trail mix when he goes to the grocery store and Monster Mix is his favorite! Great idea!

Ashlee
    November 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Loved your Wayfair post! Your tips were great and I haven’t thought of some of them before. Very helpful!

Brittany
    November 13, 2013 at 3:59 pm

This idea is Amazing!! I’m totally doing this!

Fagan
    November 13, 2013 at 4:00 pm

We have 8. EIGHT. People coming to stay at our house for Christmas this year. I’m already starting to gear up and this is a great idea. Thanks for the tips!

November 13, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Oh my goodness! That will definitely be a full house!

EmILIE
    November 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I love how “Guest Room 3.0” is coming together. Those side tables and lamps are perfect for the bedding.

Stephanie
    November 13, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I LOVE the way your guestroom is shaping up! So beautiful. And this basket is such a thoughtful way to make a guest feel at home.

Amanda - Small Home Big Start
    November 13, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Great idea – I love the treats you left out for you guests! It would definitely make them feel at home and thought of.

Kody
    November 14, 2013 at 9:52 am

Excellent idea. I love that people are starting to make their homes more inviting for guests! Sometimes vacations are stressful because if you are staying with others, you feel like you may be stepping on toes or it just does not feel like a vacation. The little things make a huge difference.

Margaret
    November 18, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Excited to try some of these ideas for our guests – family that will be here for Thanksgiving.

Great ideas, thanks.

Hendrika
    November 19, 2013 at 10:13 am

Hi! I love the grey paint color on the walls! Is there any chance that I may know what color that is? Thanks!

November 19, 2013 at 10:15 am

Thanks! It’s Anonymous by Behr – we love it!

Hendrika
      November 20, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Thanks!!

Amanda
    November 19, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I would love to see a photo of this bed to see how the two consoles look on either side. Does it look heavy or balanced? I am in love with this console and I’m thinking of purchasing it, I just don’t have enough room to put another one on the other side; so I’m trying to figure out what to do. I could put my bed on the other wall and it would fit, so it would be nice to see how it looks (is this bed a double or a queen?)

November 20, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’ll try to post a photo of that soon! Though, I must say, I really like the look of the consoles on either side – especially with large lamps like these. Oh, and the bed is a queen.

Erin
    November 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Love the quilted pillow on the bed- any chance you can tell us where you got it? Our guest room is sorta blandy beige right now & something like this would do wonders. πŸ™‚

Erin
    November 24, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Love the quilted pillow on the guest bed! Any chance you can tell us where you got it?