House Happenings

My great grandmother was the epitome of everything I want to be “when I grow up”. Over the past few days, we knew this was coming, but it’s still so very hard. I’ve been going through countless boxes gathering photos for her memorial service and came across this one – my favorite photo of them all. Naturally, remembering all of the good times we’ve had with her has caused me to cry more than a few tears, but most of all, I’m thankful for the enormous impact she’s had on my life and the heritage she’s passed down – which makes it fitting that we’re celebrating her life the day before Thanksgiving. She’s the anchor of our family and I selfishly wanted her to stay here as along as possible. However, it was incredibly hard to see her become so weak over the last month. I’m beyond thankful that she’s now in a much better place – so much better than we can possibly imagine – and that we’ll see her again.

November 27, 2013 at 12:09 pm

What a great, happy picture!

As you share the pictures, memories, and stories that is your great-grandmother, also share the tears (and remember the box(es) of tissue!)

Michelle | Birds of Berwick
    November 27, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Ashley – I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s not easy no matter who, how or what time of life it was for them or for you. I hope you have a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving to celebrate her life and times with family. God Bless xo

November 27, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. It’s good that you have had such precious times together, hold on to those wonderful memories!

November 27, 2013 at 1:20 pm

O, and before I forget, thats is a lovely picture! πŸ™‚

November 27, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss.

November 27, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. I just lost my grandmother (last week) and found myself going through photos too.

November 27, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. That picture is beautiful, thank you for sharing.

November 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Ashley, I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was truly an incredibly lady. Hope you are surrounded by friends and family during this difficult time. xoxox

Mel B.
    November 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Ashley, I am an admirer of you blog. My condolences go out to you and your family. and may you receive God’s divine comfort in your time of need. I have been down that road, loosing my grandmother to illness. Cherish all of the wonderful times and great memories that you have it too will bring you comfort knowing that you had the opportunity to create and share such great memories!!

November 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Sorry for your loss Ashley. Your grandmother sounds lovely, like the ideal grandmother. You were very priviledged to have her, and visa-versa. x

November 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your great grandmother’s passing. It’s always really hard to lose a loved one, especially around a holiday. Hugs and thoughts for you and your family Ashley!

November 27, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. What a treasure to have had her for so long and what a legacy she has left behind. Just lost my one gram last month, so feel your sadness.

Pictures are such a precious memory to have along with all the other memories we physically remember. Hugs dear girl.

November 27, 2013 at 2:25 pm

So sorry for your loss Ashley. That’s a very cute picture. You are very lucky to have had a great grandmother to spend time with. Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family!!! How was your visit at the dentist?? Hope it went okay.

November 27, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Prayers and an internet hug your way. Hold on to those dear memories and find joy in them. I hope you and your family may still find joy this holiday season.

November 27, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Ashley, I’m so sorry you’ve lost your Great Grandmother. What a lovely post, from a loving Great Granddaughter. I know exactly what you mean about the mixed emotions you’re having because I just lost my Grandma two weeks ago. I had her for 45 years and feel a bit lost now, though just like you say I know she’s in a better place now. Lots of hugs to you.

November 27, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Even if you are preparing for it, it’s still so hard. But it’s great to reflect on all of those happy memories and know that our loved ones always stay with us in our hearts. My prayers go out to you and your family during this time. God bless and hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving.

November 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. This is a lovely post to commemorate your great grandmother.

November 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, Ashley. The photo is wonderful and I see an angel right on the table in the foreground and I think on the window sill, too. I think it is a sign that you selected that photo.

November 27, 2013 at 9:23 pm

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful lady. Aren’t grandma kitchens the best? They evoke the most cozy feelings of warmth and family and love. So sorry for your loss and keeping you and your family in my prayers.

November 27, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Oh Ashley, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to your and your family as you go through this time. We saw the end for my grandmother, and it was still hard when it happened. So glad you know she is in a better place and not suffering anymore.

And such a wonderful photo

November 27, 2013 at 10:58 pm

What lovely memories you must have. The smiles on your face are full of joy.

November 28, 2013 at 1:02 am

So sorry for your recent loss. You and your family are in my prayers. I am sending extra thoughts and hugs this holiday season. Such a sweet photo.

November 28, 2013 at 3:56 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

November 28, 2013 at 4:50 am

So sorry for your loss, but what wonderful memories she left you!

Dee in BC
    November 28, 2013 at 12:21 pm

What a wonderful photo. May all the happiness from that moment live in your heart always. Sorry for your loss.

November 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm

So sorry for your loss. What a wonderful photo and memory.

Amanda Michelle
    November 29, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I just lost my aunt a week ago who was 85 and who treated me more like a granddaughter than a niece. It feels so weird not to share the holidays with those who have always been a part of your life.

November 29, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I’m so, so sorry for your loss. My GG was my everything when I was younger, and her passing was the toughest thing I ever went through to this day. Many blessings to you and yours during this time.

December 1, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Ashley – i’m so sorry for the loss of your great grandmother. you were so lucky to have her for all these years; though I know that’s not much comfort during these heart breaking days. your memories will carry you thru and just knowing that she’s at peace now and with the people who have gone before her. she’s resting until you meet again.. xoxo

December 2, 2013 at 12:10 am

Dearest Ashley,

What a lovely tribute to your great grandmother. The photo evokes the joy you had for one another and helps hold those most treasured moments in heart and mind. I know too well that grief takes its own sweet time, but draw strength from your beautiful family and know that all your readers are sending love, prayers, and our deepest sorrow. And know that your great grandmother lives and loves through you. I just know she is so very proud of her beloved granddaughter.

December 2, 2013 at 5:49 pm

So sorry for your loss, but how wonderful that you have so many fond memories of your great-grandmother to hold onto. Prayers your way!

December 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm

How lucky you are to have known and loved your great grandmother! I lost my grandmother this last November 5th. I know how incredibly hard it is not to have them there especially when they are what makes the holidays and family gatherings so special. Know that you are living testament to her! I also went through all of the family photos for her service- filled with happy memories and wishing you could hold her hand again.
    Wishing you all the best this holiday season.

barbara dobson
    October 12, 2014 at 4:19 am

Just found this almost a year later..I hope time has eased your pain. This picture is a treasure. You can see the love your great grandmother had..and you are as cute as a button. I love the way your great grandmother has everything out and organized. ..maybe you inherited this trait from her. I hope this Thanksgiving is memorable for your family and that you can all talk about her with joy and few tears. She would want you to enjoy every day…you can see that in her smile..the love shines in her eyes. I love her warm cosy kitchen too and the angels in the room…hope you have one of those to remember by..if not I think you should have one that you pick out …best to you. .I love your blog and just discovered it on a dear friend’s fb page.

October 14, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Thank you, so so much! : )