DIY Decor

DIY GOLD LETTER MAGNETS

DIY Gold Magnet Letters // 7thhouseontheleft.com

You know when you see something on Pinterest where you’re like, “I must do that. Now.”? It’s that feeling between having a mini creative heart palpitation and “Why didn’t I think of thaaaat?!”. Ya’ll know what I’m talking about. Well, over the weekend, I had such a feeling when I came across this quick, easy and clever DIY project on Pinterest.

Project Inspiration // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Yes. Gold letter magnets. Like every other interior design enthusiast on the planet right now, I’m hooked on all things gold and brass. My Aunt calls me “Magpie”. My love for gold also rolls over into my favorite jewelry. These gold spray painted magnet letters reminded me of one of my favorite necklace which made me love this project even more. So, needless to say, this was easily added to my list of weekend to-dos.

DIY Gold Magnet Letters // 7thhouseontheleft.com

The very next afternoon, I ran to Target and picked up 2 packages of magnetic letters. For those of you who don’t have kids, like us, you can find them in the kitchen section near the timers and meat thermometers. While I was out running errands, I also picked up a can of plastic primer and gold spray paint. After going back and forth between my favorite gold spray paint options, I decided to go with Rustoleum’s Bright Metallics Gold because it seemed to be the best choice to match the shade of my favorite gold initial necklace.

DIY Gold Magnet Letters // 7thhouseontheleft.com

I was worried about the color showing on the sides once they were against the black magnetic chalkboard. Greg said he was pretty sure the magnet would still “magnetize” through a few light coats of spray paint (and he was right, it does), so I started out by spraying the backs with a thin coat of primer. After about an hour of drying time, I turned them over and coated the fronts.

I ended up spraying two coats of primer on the front of the magnets (just one on the back) to make sure the crazy bright colors were covered really well and we’d get a nice, even finish when the gold paint was applied.

DIY Gold Magnet Letters // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Like with the primer, I started with a thin layer of gold spray paint on the back, let them dry and flipped them over to do two thin layers on the front. At this point in the process, I couldn’t wait to get them up on our magnetic chalkboard in the laundry room.

DIY Gold Magnet Letters // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Once they were dry, I had a nice, shiny collection of gorgeous gold letter magnets. Magpie was in heaven.

DIY Gold Magnet Letters // 7thhouseontheleft.com

I’m looking forward to using these along with chalk drawings – especially for holidays. One thing to note: If you’re using these on a metal chalkboard surface like I am, when you’re moving the letters around to make words, don’t slide them along the surface of your chalkboard. This might cause the primer to scratch off and mark the chalkboard. I found this out the hard way, but the primer came right off with a damp rag and a little scrubbing action. So, just to play it safe, pick up each letter then place it on the chalkboard rather than sliding them all around.

DIY Gold Magnet Letters // 7thhouseontheleft.com

All in all, this is probably my favorite quick and easy project to date and it’s safe to say, magnet letters are not just for kids.

December 11, 2013 at 11:28 am

This is kind of amazing. Well done!

I wish I had a place to put these.

Jennifer
    December 11, 2013 at 11:35 am

So lovely! Was just thinking about re-painting my three-year-old’s magnetic letters.

Rachel
    December 11, 2013 at 11:50 am

I’m literally dying over this! ! I am seriously making this TONIGHT! ps- did you diy the chalkboard too?

December 11, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thanks! Yep, we made it from a thrift store frame and a piece of sheet metal. Check out that post here.

Anita
    December 11, 2013 at 11:59 am

Looooove this DIY, I can’t wait to try it too! And I’m also a font nerd, this is also a pretty font. 🙂

ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com
    December 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm

i love this project! and i’m sooooooo happy you posted where you got that necklace from. another blogger that i follows has a similar one that i’ve been obsessing over and haven’t been able to find it.

Katrina
    December 11, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Those are super cute!

Desaree Martin
    December 11, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Oh wow I so love this and I think I will take this project on!

caroline [the diy nurse]
    December 11, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I did this for my sister’s baby shower in pink but I never thought of gold- it looks sooo glam against the black!

Justine
    December 11, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Genius.

Jessica
    December 11, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Wow! I love this idea – the finished product looks so good on your chalkboard and it is such an easy project.

Love your blog already – I’m a fellow BYW student found you on the blogroll. I’ll definitely be staying up to date with your blog 🙂

December 11, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Awesome! Glad you found us : ) Thanks so much!

Stephanie
    December 12, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Such a cute idea! It’s one of those things that seems SO obvious after you hear about it, but you wouldn’t have thought of yourself. I’ll definitely try this one day!

Liz
    December 12, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Great job, It’s a cute idea for my black fridge, I’ll do the same 😉

Thanks

Katie
    December 12, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Super fun! I’ll definitely be making these soon. Quick question about your chalkboard… how do you get your chalk lines so crisp and bold? Chalk markers (which brand)? Dipped in water? Do tell!

December 12, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thanks! It’s just plain ole Crayola chalk dipped in water. Works like a charm!

Kerry
    December 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I must do this. Now. 🙂

Jamie Myers
    December 12, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Very cute!!! I added the alphabet letters to my shopping list so I don’t forget to pick some up. Love everything that you do/make….I’m thinking as long as money permits my home is going to start looking like yours with all the cute DIYS. BTW hopefully I don’t sound like a crazy stalker. 😉 Keep up the awesome work!!

December 12, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Haha! No, you don’t! Thank you : )

Candice
    December 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I have been racking my brain to try and come up with some art for this wierd nook I have started called the “bathroom foyer” which leads from the foyer to the guest bath under the stairs. This is so perfect! How much fun would it be to see the messages from guests as they wait to use the facilities!

December 12, 2013 at 8:47 pm

That sounds perfect! Would love to see it : )

Karen J
    December 12, 2013 at 9:56 pm

This is a great idea, why didn’t I think of it. “Child grown up”. I have a whole bunch of magnetic letters that my kids don’t use anymore (9 and 13). Thanks for sharing.

Olive Yew
    December 13, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Thanks so much for featuring my necklace! Love that it was a bit of inspiration, and I think I might make these magnets soon for myself. Great post & I love your blog!

December 13, 2013 at 3:31 pm

My pleasure! I ordered one of your necklaces last year and absolutely love it : )

Jessica @ Decor Adventures
    December 16, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Love this! Gold and black and white are all the range right now and these are perfect!

I’m also a do-it-right-now project person. I saw those trophy bottle tops with corks and seriously drove to the thrift store and bought all the trophies I could find because I thought EVERYone was going to have that same idea and I wasn’t going to find any – ha!

Now I need some alphabet letters…. 🙂

Megan // Honey We're Home
    December 17, 2013 at 9:07 pm

What a creative way to add holiday cheer to your home! I have those letters, you’ve got me thinking . . .

Crystal
    December 23, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Way cool! I never thought of doing this. Thanks for sharing!

Bryan M
    December 27, 2013 at 3:58 am

Really cool looking!

Elizabeth Willett
    October 8, 2015 at 12:36 pm

We are doing this in our Kitchen on the island between the kitchen and dining room. The boys inevitably congregate in this area. We also are buying plastic animals and painting them as well. I love this idea because even though I don’t want to stop free thought and creativity in the kids, I also want to keep some semblance of decorum in our shared space. We will be painting our chrome and white. I’m so glad I’ve stumbled upon your blog.

Susan
    July 17, 2016 at 2:53 am

Love this! Please let me know do you get spray on primer and does it not stop the magnet sticking?

July 18, 2016 at 11:09 am

Thanks! We picked up the spray Primer at Lowe’s or Home Depot (I can’t remember which) and since we were painting just the sides and the fronts, it never affected the magnetic-ness (if that’s a word, haha!). Hope that helps!