His + Her Favorite Things

HIS + HER FAVORITE THINGS

Time for another installment of His + Her Favorite Things! Over the past week or so, I’ve been playing a lot more guitar, while Ash has been trying to think up ways to switch up the kitchen accessories. Unintentionally, our recently peaked interests are quite evident what we rounded up in this month’s edition of His + Hers…

His Favorite Things // 7thhouseontheleft.com

ONE // Since I’ve been getting back into playing guitar lately (I’ve been playing mainly bass for the past year), I really wanted some new tonal toys to play with and luckily, my awesome wife gave me a few for Chrstmas. This overdrive pedal is a copy of another well-known pedal. It gets very similar sounds for about a quarter of the price. If you’re a guitar player, I’d say it’s well worth the $30 to pick one up and try it out. TWO // I’d never been a huge fan of “fuzz” effects until I started listening to David Gilmour. I still haven’t unlocked all the potential in this pedal, but it’s been a ton of fun trying to find “my sound” amongst all the tonal variations. THREE // My brother-in-law and I saw John Mayer here in Richmond a few weeks ago, and it still runs through my head from time to time. If you’re a Mayer fan, don’t pass up the opportunity to see him live. It’s well worth the price of admission. FOUR // After my fingers are tired from playing guitar, I enjoy playing in the sandbox. Kidding. Seriously, though, this stuff is amazingly fun. It feels like wet sand, but it isn’t wet. The link is for the sand box and tools, but you can buy the sand separately here.  FIVE // One of the things Ashley’s parents gave me for Christmas was the vinyl version of the John Mayer Trio album and I’ve really been enjoying it. I love the stripped-down, honest sound and Palladino is a beast.

Her Favorite Things // 7thhouseontheleft.com

ONE // My grandparents gave me and Greg one of these beauties for Christmas. We really loved our old coffee maker, but we love this one even more. It’s easy to use, fast and oh so convenient. The programmable feature comes in really handy too. We’ve tested out a bunch of different coffees, and so far Greg’s favorite is Starbucks’ Sumatra and the jury is still out on my favorite – though I’m really looking forward to trying out Sleepy Time tea later tonight (wow, I sound like I’m 80-years-old). TWO // We are in dire need of new knives. The knives we currently have are the same ones I had in my first apartment in college. They’re really great, but I’m hoping to change it up a little. I’m not a “Fancy Nancy” when it comes to cooking, so we don’t need anything too spectacular. I read some good reviews about these guys and like the idea we don’t have to buy a full set to see if we like them. They’re also super affordable. THREE // I love having little bowls around. They’re perfect for snacks (chips and salsa, anyone?) and great for salad bars at home. I think a collection of these in random colors would be great to have around – and fun to look at, too. Along with the knives, they’re on my “buy soon” list.  FOUR // This year, I want to cook more. We’ve gotten into the habit of Greg picking up dinner on the way home from work on busy days a little too often, and I’m ready to break the cycle and get back in the kitchen. That being said, I’ve been steadily stocking up on good (easy!) cookbooks, and this one is at the top of my list. I love the book’s layout  and the fish tacos with citrus fennel slaw sound so good!

Any particular favorites or beloved Christmas gifts to share with the class? Be sure to share them with us in the comments!

Ceci Bean
    January 7, 2014 at 12:14 am

I didn’t realize Greg was a bass player. So is my husband!

January 7, 2014 at 9:15 am

He is indeed! It’s so fun. : )

Linda
    January 7, 2014 at 9:08 am

Love these posts!

Dina C
    January 7, 2014 at 9:09 am

On my list: Downton Abbey, anything gold and HGTV Magazine (got a subscription for Christmas and love it!).

January 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

Yes, yes, and definitely yes!

Fagan
    January 7, 2014 at 9:11 am

We have a that coffee maker too and are addicted to it.

Melissa
    January 7, 2014 at 9:11 am

I have that cookbook and it really is wonderful. The recipes are easy but still complex enough to impress guests or the Mr.

January 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

Ooh, good to know. : )

Lauren
    January 7, 2014 at 9:12 am

We have the 15-piece Cuisinart knife block set and love it!

January 7, 2014 at 9:13 am

That’s the set we have now – it is great! It has lasted a long, long time. We’re just not wanting a block set this time around because I never used all of the knives, haha.

nicki
    January 7, 2014 at 10:19 am

I would love to know more about the Keurig Vue. I was going to get one of the small ones, but then I saw your post the other day and now today ;). Does it use pods like the other machines? What is the main difference? Thanks 😉

January 7, 2014 at 10:36 am

I think the main difference is that the Vue is overall easier to use (large LCD screen, etc) and you can use Vue cups (which are smaller than the regular K-cups). You can also use the regular K-cups with the Vue, but you have to use the adapter. What sold Greg on it (who’s the main coffee drinker of the two of us) is that you can still use your favorite local grounds if you use their filter coffee pod. It’s pretty cool!

Christina
    January 7, 2014 at 11:09 am

I have the Vue and love it too! I just wish they had as much coffee/tea selection as the regular Keurig in the stores. I also wanted to let you know that I have seen the Schmidt Brothers knife sets at T.J.Maxx and Marshall’s here in Cleveland Ohio, so maybe check them out.

January 7, 2014 at 11:17 am

Oooo, thanks for the heads up! : )

Melanie
    January 7, 2014 at 11:17 am

Those bowls! SWOON!

Kaitlin
    January 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm

So psyched I saw this! My mom’s bday is in February and after cooking at her house over the holidays I realized she DESPERATELY needs new knives. Just ordered her the ones from West Elm. SCORE!

January 7, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Awesome!

Stephanie Ann
    January 7, 2014 at 10:01 pm

I also got a Keurig for Christmas but it’s one of the basic ones. I absolutely love it though. And the Sleepytime Tea rocks my socks! I’ve loved that stuff for a while now and I can’t wait to bust it out for my Keurig. I also got one of those little filters that you can pop in and use your own coffee grounds and tea leaves. We have a tea shop where I live and I’m currently stocked up on about a dozen flavors! And I would have to add the Project Life scrapbooking system to my list of favorites. It’s perfect for me!

Ryan Hart
    January 9, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I really like these “his and her favorite things” mashups. Quick blogging question: Do these types of posts drive very many Amazon commissions for you? Cheers!

January 9, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Thanks! Nope, not at all, haha. They’re just fun posts to put together.

Kelly H
    January 10, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Definitely agree with you! We just saw John in concert in November. I haven’t let myself go a day without enjoying his new and old music. He really has so much more to him than the average population gives him credit for.

Love your “fave'” days 🙂

Linda
    January 13, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Years ago I bought a 7″ Santoku knife from Henckels (like this). It is great for everything from mincing herbs to chopping through a pineapple or head of cabbage. This knife changed my life in the kitchen. I also have two different sized paring knives, and a bread knife (it is from the first knife set I ever bought–40 years ago!). Although there are other random knives in my drawer, those are the go-to knives–with the Santoku being the workhorse in my kitchen–it is still sharp and was worth every penny.

January 13, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for the heads up!! : )

Kelly
    January 22, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I have the West Elm knives…Im on the fence about them, sorry to say. A few of the tips have broken off and they have rusted a bit..I’ve had them for 9 months. But I’m pretty tough on them, and they ARE a great price right now!

January 23, 2014 at 10:22 am

Good to know! Thanks for the heads up.