Easy Upgrades Guest Bedroom

NEW BLING FOR THE GUEST BEDROOM

How to Switch Out Dresser Hardware / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Way back when, we bought this Hemnes dresser from Ikea for the guest bedroom. Despite not being much of a home decor geek at the time (I’m still not, but I’m learning), I really liked the simplicity of it and the clean lines.

Ikea Dresser Before / 7thhouseontheleft.com

When we got it home and put it all together, the dresser looked great, even with the blue walls. Once we ditched the “nursery blue” and painted the walls the second time around, the dresser looked even better…

Ikea Dresser Before / 7thhouseontheleft.com

The rich gray walls made the dresser stand out even more, and it turned into an even better statement piece. The only problem was it wasn’t really making as much of a personality statement as we wanted. It added plenty of visual weight and great function, but it just craved something to make it “us”. Rather than trying to compensate for its lack of personality by putting a bunch of clutter on top of it (though Ash is still looking for something for the top), we decided it would be better to personalize the dresser itself with some new hardware. After searching two hardware stores and several sites online, Ash ended up ordering 12 shiny new pieces of hardware from the Martha Stewart line at Home Depot.

How to Switch Out Dresser Hardware / 7thhouseontheleft.com

For the top four drawers, she picked out four brass 1 3/16″ button pulls (these), and for the bottom drawers, she went with eight brass 3″ cup cabinet pulls (these). At the time, both types of pulls were on sale, and we were able to get all of the hardware for around $35, including shipping.

Changing out the hardware on the top drawers was a piece of cake. All I had to do was unscrew them, replace the screw with the one that came with the new pulls (the screws were different sizes and lengths), and screw the new pulls on. Easy peasy. As for the bottom drawers, since we were changing a 1-screw piece of hardware out for a 2-acrew piece of hardware, it was a tad more involved.

How to Switch Out Dresser Hardware / 7thhouseontheleft.com

At first, I thought I’d have to drill four holes, one on either side of each of the existing holes. Before I started measuring and drilling, though, I decided to line the new pulls up with one of the existing holes just to see what it would look like. As it turns out, it looked a lot better than I thought it would. All I had to do was put a straight edge across the center of the two existing holes, measure three inches toward the center of the drawer from each of them, mark the spot with a pencil, and drill away.

How to Switch Out Dresser Hardware / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Some of the holes ended up being just slightly off, so I widened them slightly to allow for more adjustment. Once that was done, I attached the hardware using the provided screws, and tightened them up with my handy-dandy ratcheting screwdriver. (Seriously–for small house projects, you owe it to yourself to grab a ratcheting screwdriver. I’ve had this one for years, and it just makes everything slightly easier.)

About 20 minutes of drilling and fastening time later, the new hardware was in place…

How to Switch Out Dresser Hardware / 7thhouseontheleft.com

The dresser isΒ much more “us” with the new hardware, and I think it makes the statement we always wanted it to. Because of where the bed is placed, it’s hard to get a straight on shot of the dresser, but here’s a slightly better angle to see the hardware spacing…

How to Switch Out Dresser Hardware / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Oh, did I mention I’m kind of obsessed with cup pulls right now? Every time we go to the hardware store, Ash has to stop me from suggestingΒ things to put cup pulls on. I know that sounds weird coming from me and that that’s saying a lot coming from this non-home decor geek. I just like them. This project has scratched the itch for now, but keep an eye out for more of them in the near future. It’ll be like an Easter egg hunt.Β Too early?

Maddie
    January 16, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Awesome update!! Love the hardware you chose! The Hemnes looks so different with the paint color switch – it looks dark brown with the blue and black with the grey! Is it really the same?! If so, the power of paint has impressed me once more.

Greg
      January 16, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Thanks. The dresser is exactly the same color in both photos. Paint is a powerful thing!

Emma
    January 16, 2014 at 1:33 pm

The dresser looks great with those stately brass pulls! Well done!

Alli
    January 16, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Looks great! How did you cover the old holes??

Greg
      January 16, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Thanks! Sorry if it wasn’t clear in the post, but I actually used the old holes for one side of each of the pulls. I only had to drill a total of 2 holes in each drawer.

Dawn
    January 16, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Great looking update. Do you all like the dresser itself? Like how the drawers roll in and out? I have an old dresser where the drawer mechanism is metal on wood and I’m constantly shaking wood shavings off my clothes. The Hemmes is a really pretty dresser. Just wondering how easy it is to put together and how nice the end result is.

January 16, 2014 at 3:15 pm

It’s very easy to put together and we love the dresser itself. The drawers roll in and out extremely well. We’d really recommend getting the glass top as well. Because of this, it still looks brand new. Hope that helps!

Heidi
    January 16, 2014 at 4:17 pm

We bought that same dresser back in 2006 and it’s still kicking! I haven’t even thought about upgrading its hardware, but now I want to. Thanks for sharing.

Angela, blue i style
    January 16, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I was so excited to see this post today. I just bought the same dresser for my son’s new room, and am planning to update the hardware. I had been having an internal struggle with whether it would look ok to use hardware that needs a second whole, or whether the spacing would be weird. Now that I can see how great it looks on your dresser, I know that I can go for it without further reservation! Thanks!

Dennis Bullock
    January 16, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Looks great guys!

Megan S
    January 16, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Beautiful update! I may have missed it but may I ask where you got that cute bunny?! He’s so cute!

January 17, 2014 at 5:50 am

Thanks! I picked him up at an antique mall last year. It was love at first sight, haha.

Taylor
    January 16, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Love it! We have the chest of drawers and I’ve never thought to personalize it. What a great solution to make it more “you.”

Jenn(ifer)
    January 17, 2014 at 3:22 am

Nice hard-ware. Could you maybe add a picture of the dresser straight from the front, to better see the way the pulls look with drilling only one new hole for each?
    Thanks!
    Jenn(ifer)

January 17, 2014 at 10:14 am

Because of where the bed is, it’s hard to get a photo of the dresser straight from the front (without chopping off the bottom half). But we added another photo that has a slightly better angle. Hope that helps!

Sarah
    January 17, 2014 at 8:59 am

Is that paint color Anonymous by Behr?? Because it looks amazing!

January 17, 2014 at 9:20 am

Yep, it is. We love it!

Jamie
    January 17, 2014 at 9:44 am

Hard to believe knobs/pulls made such a difference – I love it!!

Kelley
    January 17, 2014 at 11:14 am

I love the brass! And the combination of the pulls/knobs look great!

Whitley S.
    January 17, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I’ve had this same dresser for about a year and I absolutely love it. I’ve been toying with the idea of changing the hardware and I keep going back and forth between looking at pulls like that or just replacing it more knobs. I’m so glad you posted this because I’m in LOVE with those pulls and now I must have them. The only problem is that means that the boyfriend’s matching, taller dresser is getting an unexpected makeover as well!

ashley @ sunnysideshlee.com
    January 17, 2014 at 2:35 pm

love the update! we have the same dresser and this is such a great idea! makes it look more like a “special piece”! i love hemnes!

Amanda
    January 20, 2014 at 10:32 am

It’s amazing what new hardware can do. Looks great!

Lindsay
    January 25, 2014 at 9:48 am

What a transformation! I love it!

Kerri
    January 26, 2014 at 8:49 am

Would you mind sharing where the bed frame is from?

January 26, 2014 at 1:58 pm

It’s from Ikea, but they don’t carry it anymore. I saw one similar at Crate & Barrel today!

Megan
    May 1, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Where did you get the bedding that is shown in the first photo? Love it!

May 3, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Thanks! It was purchased from Target a while back.