On the Set

ON THE SET: THE BIG BANG THEORY

On the Set: The Big Bang Theory / 7thhouseontheleft.com

The Big Bang Theory has always been one of our “favorite shows”, but we’ve never watched all of them in order or kept up with the big story line (aside from Penny and Leonard’s on again/off again relationship, I know nothing – so no spoilers!). Last Black Friday, Greg and I snagged seasons 1 through 5 on DVD for around $35. Even though we bought them over a year ago – 14 months ago, according to Instagram – we’re just now starting on season one.

On the Set: The Big Bang Theory / 7thhouseontheleft.com

The other night, we had a mini Big Bang marathon and, as usual, I was habitually studying the furniture, accessories and such on the set – specifically Sheldon and Leonard’s apartment. It’s so eclectic yet masculine and has a fun mix of textures (which seems to be a common thing for a lot of my favorite TV show sets). During one episode, I made a comment about the card catalog that’s near the back of the apartment set looking similar to the one we have in our dining room. That’s when Greg suggested an “On the Set” post. Why didn’t I think of that first?

On the Set: The Big Bang Theory / 7thhouseontheleft.com

On the Set: The Big Bang Theory / 7thhouseontheleft.com

I love Sheldon and Leonard’s apartment because no matter how many episodes I’ve watched I always notice something new in each episode. Everything is so busy and covered with geeky paraphernalia like action figures, comic books, vintage radios and, of course, dry erase boards. The show has a resident professor of physics and astronomy who checks scripts for scientific accuracy and provides the mathematical equations and diagrams that you see on the dry erase boards throughout the show. Even though Salzberg has a good handle on the physics, he actually calls on Mayim Bialik (Amy Farrah Fowler on Big Bang, and previously the main character on the early-90’s show Blossom), who has a Ph.D. in neuroscience, for help from time to time.

On the Set: The Big Bang Theory / 7thhouseontheleft.com

In the back of the living area is a little alcove with another desk, more science equipment, robot toys and that great card catalog I mentioned earlier. It looks out on a nice “view” of Pasadena.

On the Set: The Big Bang Theory / 7thhouseontheleft.com

There’s a small hallway that goes to Leonard and Sheldon’s bedrooms and a bathroom. Of course, the doors in the hallway don’t actually lead to anything. They’re just “dummy doors” with a small standing area for the actors to walk into during scenes.

On the Set: The Big Bang Theory / 7thhouseontheleft.com

On the Set: The Big Bang Theory / 7thhouseontheleft.com

To the right of the apartment (from the viewer’s point of view) is a kitchen that’s open to the living area – complete with a Battlestar Galactica toaster, cereal organized by fiber content, and an Adam West era Batman lunch box for lunches on the go.

During my last trip to LA, we had the chance to see the Warner Brothers Studios lot. We didn’t get to see the Big Bang set because they were in the middle of rehearsals that day, but we did see Jim Parsons (who plays Sheldon) leaving the set. He’s my favorite character on the show, so I was a bit excited to see him and geeked out a little. We also saw Chuck Lorre (the show’s creator, executive producer and head writer). He was really nice, and for some reason, he really reminded me of  from Criminal Minds. By the way, did you guys know Jim Parsons is turning 41 in March?! He totally does’t look like he’s even near his 40’s yet.

On the Set: The Big Bang Theory // 7thhouseonthelft.com

Telescope / Take-Out Food (of course) / Captain Future Poster
Manhattan Leather Sofa / Stripe Throw Pillow / Ektrop Chair
Card Catalog Cabinet / Dart Board / Field Radio / DNA Model

Set images from here, here and here. For more information about the show, check this out. So, now it’s your turn… what is your favorite TV show set?

Robin
    January 28, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I especially like the old wood ‘library chair’ they have. Also the coffee table, front door and island. Great set! You should do house of cards set next – love that too!

January 28, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Yes! Me too! I wanted to add one to the mood board but I didn’t have room. You can actually find those a lot of places online by Googling “baker’s chair”.

Maria
    January 28, 2014 at 3:17 pm

How fun! Hubby and I love this show too! We’ve watched seasons one and two in order and a bunch out of order too when they play it on TV in the evenings. I have to say my favorite TV show set would be Downton Abbey- I love period pieces and everything is so grand and unique!

January 28, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Loooove me some Downton. We did an On the Set post for the “downstairs” a while back (here).

Kayla White @ Mississippi Mrs.
    January 28, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I loooove this show!

Sara Kiiru
    January 28, 2014 at 4:52 pm

So hard to choose favorite TV show sets! Probably Paul & Jamie’s apartment from the ’90s show Mad About You, or Sydney’s midcentury house in the latter seasons of Alias. Also love Joel and Julia’s house in Parenthood, and Will’s loft in The Good Wife. So fun to observe and admire!

January 28, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Love, love, love Sydney’s midcentury on Alias. Ugh. I miss that show.

Laura B
    January 28, 2014 at 5:19 pm

My daughter watches Good Luck Charlie on Disney and their set is awesome. Always spotting something from Target.

January 28, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Yes! Love that set as well! I posted about it a while back (here).

Elise
    January 28, 2014 at 5:26 pm

This reminds me of an NPR article about that professor who does the physics consulting for the show. In the interview, he mentioned that they originally created sets based on actual grad students’ apartments, but CBS nixed those because they were too sad.

January 28, 2014 at 7:03 pm

That’s a great article! Thanks for sharing : )

Stacey @ Likes to Smile
    January 28, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I feel this way about Penny’s apartment. Her apartment is such a contrast to Sheldon and Leonards. Something is good at thinking about the details!!

Bari
    January 28, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I don’t know the source site, but I had found this on Pintrest a while back. http://themetapicture.com/floor-plans-from-popular-tv-series/

January 28, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Ah, that’s so fun! Thanks for sharing : )

Carrie
    January 29, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Hiya,
    This post made me chuckle cos we’re doing the same thing! I’d seen random episodes on tv over the years but we just started watching them all from episode 1 a couple of months ago, I think we are on season 3 or 4 now (they are recorded from tv so don’t always notice when go from one season into the next!). I love their apartment and am always looking at the stuff they have. Then one night we realised that we have the chair that Leonard usually sits in, the one above, which is weird cos we’re in the UK?! We inherited it so no idea where it came from but it makes sense now to see that it’s from IKEA, they exist everywhere 🙂
    Love your blog btw so big thanks 🙂
    Carrie

Maddie
    January 29, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Love these posts! Have you done one on Friends? I love that show & Monica’s apartment would be a fun one 🙂

January 29, 2014 at 4:04 pm

No, I haven’t but that one is definitely on my list : )

Beth
    January 30, 2014 at 9:33 am

This is definitely one of my favorite posts you’ve ever written – I love that show, and actually jumped out of my chair to get closer to the TV the first time I saw that card catalog. Thanks for a great summary of the details!

Mary
    January 30, 2014 at 9:46 am

I’ve been a fan of TBBT since day one! I’ve always wanted to know what that thing hanging on the wall is. You can see it in your pic, on the wall between Sheldon in his bathrobe and the card catalog. Part of a musical instrument??

January 30, 2014 at 10:36 am

Hmm, Greg did some Googling and found out that it’s actually a terminal block of antique fuses – I guess used as “art”, haha. Here’s a link of a close up photo: http://bit.ly/1idGIj7

Jennifer
    January 30, 2014 at 10:27 am

Great post! This totally brings out my inner geek…just last night my husband was making fun of me for having VS underwear that says “kiss a chemist” lol…the DNA model is totally calling my name! Love it!

January 30, 2014 at 10:36 am

Hahaha!

Confused
    January 30, 2014 at 12:26 pm

This is one of your “favourite shows”, but you don’t know anything about it? What? Okay.

January 30, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Oh, we know plenty about the show. I just meant that we haven’t watched the seasons in order enough to know about the “grand story line” of events (like if Leonard and Penny are together in the latest episode, etc) since we normally catch re-runs. We’re watching them in order now (on DVD as I mentioned) and are in season 2 : )

jennyred
    January 30, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I love Bernadette’s bedroom with the upholstered headboard and deep peacock walls… totally my inspiration right now to recreate for my own master bedroom. 🙂

Rebecca
    February 6, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I LOVE the show!! So much so, that my husband and I are naming our (future) firstborn boy, Cooper! (guess who is my favorite character!)

Because I have watched the show so many times (I own all seasons:)) I enjoy looking at the décor. I love Howard’s and Bernadette’s kitchen knife set! (one day I will find a look alike!) And I adore Leonard and Sheldon’s apt.!

^_^

Susan
    July 5, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I love the table/island in Leonard and Sheldon’s apt. Dose anyone know how might sale it?

Carol
    December 2, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Where did the furniture come from on the set at the comic book store?