House Happenings

SNOW DAY

Snow Day Essentials // 7thhouseontheleft.com

It’s official. Schools are closed, the grocery stores are out of bread and milk and the hardware stores are bare of salt bags and snow shovels. Yep, RVA is having a snow day, people!

If you live in our neck of the woods, or anywhere near it, you’re well aware that Winter Storm Janus is headed our way today. Obviously a lot of the country has gotten tons of snow this winter already – which makes our measly 4 to 8 inches look like nothing – but here in RVA, all we’ve had thus far is a dusting that melted within an hour or so. Needless to say, today’s Winter Storm Warning makes my snow-loving heart extremely happy.

Let It Snow Spoon by Jessica N Designs // 7thhouseontheleft.com

I’ve always been a huge fan of snow days and getting snowed in. Growing up, my dad would put a yard stick out on the deck, right outside the living room window, so we could see how much snow had fallen. My mom would make a big pot of chili, clean the house, make sure all of the laundry was done in case the power went out, light some candles, put on a good old movie for us to watch, and open all the blinds so we could watch the snow. My mom is in California right now and totally missing out on all of this fun. She’s super jealous.

Snow Day Essentials // 7thhouseontheleft.com

comfy sweatshirt / cozy blankets / a classic movie / mom’s chili / a few candles.

Now that I have a house of my own, getting ready for snow days is very similar. Though Greg and I normally don’t do the yard stick thing – however, now that I’ve mentioned it, I’m tempted to go put one out on the patio. While I was taking some photos of our latest project (coming later this week), Greg ran to the grocery store for me this morning and picked up a few snow essentials like bread, milk, soup… and hot chocolate and marshmallows, of course. Greg’s working from home today, so while he’s in his office I’m tidying up the house, finishing a few loads of laundry and getting the chili ready for dinner (even though I follow my mom’s recipe, it never tastes as good as hers). Even if we end up getting less snow than what they’re predicting, it’s still a fun way to spend the day.

So, how about you guys? What do you do to prep for snow days? Are you expecting snow today, too?

Snatch up a Let It Snow spoon here and check out our favorite hot chocolate recipe from Barefoot Contessa here.

Lori H
    January 21, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Fellow Richmonder here….bring on the snow!! I want the 3-6 inches they were calling for! I put a stew in the crock pot and am going to snuggle on the couch with my Westie, Hobbes. That hot chocolate looks amazing – no surprise from the BC. Couldn’t find the cute spoon with that link….? Enjoy the snow!

January 21, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Oops! Link fixed now : )

Dawn
    January 21, 2014 at 2:58 pm

LOL – 2:53 p.m. and still waiting for the snow. I work across the street from Lee’s Chicken and we had about 2 minutes of big, fluffy flakes that I’m not sure even hit the ground. Still hopeful……..

January 21, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Looks like it’s coming down now (here in Hanover anyway). Hope you get some soon!

Lauren
    January 21, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Ahhh, I love this! It makes me miss my home in eastern TN. I’m now in south Texas and we don’t see much of that around here.

fagan
    January 21, 2014 at 4:30 pm

SO fun! Enjoy your snow day.

Whitney
    January 21, 2014 at 4:31 pm

My Snow Day Essentials include lots and lots of flavored coffee and the Friends DVD box set.

Sara M
    January 21, 2014 at 4:32 pm

So jelly!

Geena B
    January 21, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Richmonder here!! So glad the snow finally decided to show up. Hopefully we get another snow day tomorrow!

January 21, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Me too!

Felicia
    January 21, 2014 at 4:33 pm

We’re getting hit up in here Boston too. Thankful for our fireplace today. Stay warm!

Katie
    January 21, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I’m in the Fairfax area and the snow has been coming down all day which makes me super happy! When it snows, my hubby and I usually make his mom’s recipe for guinness beef stew, spaghetti and meatballs, or chili – anything super warm and cozy. The day also includes lots of chai tea, hot chocolate, or hot apple cider. One of my friends makes beer bread while her husband shovels their front steps and I’ve always loved that idea so I’m hoping to do that on a snow day, too. We’re all about snuggling up with cozy blankets and watching movies. Thank you for the links to some of your favorite snow day things – I’m so excited to check those out! Stay warm and cozy!

Amanda
    January 21, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I love snow days. I work in an industry that’s always open so snow days don’t happen very often for me, but a few weeks ago we had enough snow to shut us down and it was so exciting!

I love putting cozy pajamas on and nestling in with a good movie.

Hilary
    January 22, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Haha! Southerners crack me up! I live in Chicagoland and getting that much snow is just a normal day around here in winter ;p I will say last week threw us a curve ball with a crazy blizzard and freezing temps…lots of stuff got shut down and hubby and I actually got a snow day from work. Lots of movies were watched but otherwise it was just a normal day off.

January 23, 2014 at 10:22 am

Yep, it’s a treat for us : )