Kitchen Shopping + Thrifting

THE SUPER (AWESOME) BOWL

Solid Wood Bowl Made in Philippines found at HomeGoods // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Okay, that pun (or lack of one) is just sad. Feel free to ignore it.

One thing I really want to do this year is post more “organically” – blogging the way it was intended to be way back when I had my first blog back in college (I still wish I could find that). Basically, we’re going to try to share more of the the random shopping trips, thoughts about the decline in curtain options, brain-dumps about my office layout and overall the completely random thoughts of a graphic designer who loves to decorate and a computer geek who’s learning his way around power tools. That’s us. Back in the day, those types of posts were our wheelhouse and we want to get back to it. For us, it’s comfortable, less stuffy and all around more fun. Is that cool with you guys? We hope so.

So, are you ready for a quick brain-dump post? Here we go…

Greg and I were in HomeGoods the other day doing some after-Christmas Christmas shopping for my in-laws (we decided to celebrate with them after we got back from Florida) when I came across a beautiful, solid wood pedestal bowl marked down from $95 to $29. Since Greg is a one-track mind kind of guy and he was focused on shopping for other people, I knew I had to get creative. So I said, “Greg, I think your mom would really want me to have this. Don’t you think?” Yeah, it didn’t work–he’s nowhere near that gullible. But he loves me, so my lovely new bowl found its way to the shopping cart and through the checkout, regardless of my super-obvious attempts at manipulation.

Solid Wood Bowl Made in Philippines found at HomeGoods // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Isn’t she lovely? Great, now that song is going to be in my head for the rest of the day.Β At first glance, I loved the differences in wood tones and how well-made it was.Β When we got home, I fell in love with it even more. The warm wood tones paired with the countertops and classic subway tile made me happy. I’m in the process of revisiting the accessories and overall decor in the kitchen (decluttering, “finishing” and freshening things up in general), so I’d really like to keep it in here.

Kitchen in Progress // 7thhouseontheleft.com

From that angle, it looks a little bigger than it is. I decided a perfect place for it would be that small section between the stove and the end of the cabinet. I’ve always had trouble figuring out what to put there, and this seemed perfect. But now… what do I put in it?

Solid Wood Bowl Made in Philippines found at HomeGoods // 7thhouseontheleft.com

I thought about fruit (I have some faux green apples I bought at Hobby Lobby back in college that look incredibly real). However, we have a bowl of (real) fruit further down the counter, on the other side of the stove. Wouldn’t that be over doing it in the fruit department? Then I thought about making it a pretty cell phone catchall, but that would just look cluttered and messy – which is definitely not what we want. Then I thought about planting herbs in it to use for cooking. I’d kill them, so it’s not really an option, but wouldn’t that look cool?

So, what do you think? What needs to go in this precious bowl of ours? Ideas?

Robin
    January 7, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Keys? mail? hats/gloves or just use that as your main real fruit bowl?

Ammy Belle
    January 7, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I have something similar – a bowl at the end of my counter. I initially put fruit in it, but then I got another bowl … anyways, the old bowl at the end of the counter now has a plant in it – paperwhites to be specific, though now I want see what else I can put in there … maybe something yellow.

Anyways – that’s my suggestion: a plant or flowers. πŸ™‚

PS. LOVE your kitchen!

Stephanie
    January 7, 2014 at 1:38 pm

Beautiful find! I keep a much smaller vintage bowl on my counter next to the stove, too. I use it for my wedding ring when I’m cooking messy stuff (meatloaf, anything that needs battered, even cookies). Ok now I feel like maybe I’m just a messy cook πŸ˜‰ But it could be a useful, super big, “in the meantime” solution until you figure out what else you want to use it for.

Or maybe a succulent / rainbow cacti garden could be fun and easy to keep alive like this one http://www.pinterest.com/pin/488288784570543890/ (source?).

January 7, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Love the succulent idea!

Emily
    January 7, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Real fruit so it is visible! Great for new years resolutions!

January 7, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Yeah, we have real fruit at the other end of the counter for our smoothies in the morning : )

caroline [the diy nurse]
    January 7, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I noticed you have a lot of yellow… we do too and I bought faux lemons from pier 1- not my most favorite store but they are sooo lifelike I fooled a friend [and sometimes myself]

patty
    January 7, 2014 at 2:23 pm

how about some faux herb plants… got some at PB a while ago

Rob
    January 7, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Such a great find! I like the idea of planting herbs in it.

Sarah
    January 7, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I Loooove the bowl! Now I want one too!
    What if you just got rid of your other fruit bowl and used this one as the fruit bowl?

January 7, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Gooood idea, haha!

Meghan
    January 7, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I have a footed bowl in the same spot in my kitchen and I keep individually wrapped mints in it. They’re white, so they work aesthetically in my kitchen and are practical for us (not as tempting as keeping chocolates in there) and guests can help themselves, too!

Christyn
    January 7, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Wine Corks from meaningful bottles, bottle caps from beers, Fruit from your OTHER fruit bowl, rolled up white washclothes for cleaning, Rolled up dishtowels in yellow and white…..

January 7, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Love the dishtowel idea! I actually have a jar next to the sink with rolled up dishtowels – so handy!

Melanie
    January 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm

So glad you’re going to do more posts like you mentioned! We want to get to know you guys more!

P.S. Christmas spelling error. Just trying to help a fellow blogger out. πŸ™‚
    “doing some after-Chrsitmas Christmas shopping for my in-laws”

January 7, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Oooh, yes! Thanks for pointing that out πŸ˜‰

Courtney
    January 7, 2014 at 6:10 pm

How about some seasonal cloth napkins?

You totally seem like someone who would have seasonal cloth napkins. πŸ™‚

January 7, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Ahh, you know me, haha πŸ˜‰

Courtney
      January 7, 2014 at 7:28 pm

totes!

PS: I’m very excited you guys are going to do more everyday-life posts. I love those!

[email protected]
    January 7, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I say fill it with chocolate.

Sammi
    January 7, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Dog treats, of course!

January 7, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Of course, Bentley would love that πŸ˜‰

Megan // Honey We're Home
    January 7, 2014 at 11:37 pm

I say fruit or perhaps a terrarium- there’s a gorgeous one here: http://makingitlovely.com/2012/08/09/mystery-box-challenge-setting-a-table-for-four/

I love live green things in the kitchen! Off to check out your STORE! πŸ™‚

January 7, 2014 at 11:52 pm

Haha, thanks Megan! : )

Staci @ My Friend Staci
    January 7, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Fruit in this one, and veggies in the other bowl maybe? What is a kitchen for if not food?? I know my fruit bowl gets to overflowing sometimes and I wish I had a second one or a hanging basket. πŸ™‚

Melyssa
    January 8, 2014 at 7:42 am

I adore live plans in the kitchen, I have 4 in mine right now. If you have a black thumb you could keep your onions, garlic, and shallots in one of the bowls and fruits in the other. Or just get rid of the first fruit bowl like a previous comment suggested. Maybe full it whole coffee beans for kitchen potpourri?

Brooke Kelly
    January 8, 2014 at 9:47 am

Hmmm… the first thing that I thought of when I saw your AWESOME new bowl was filling it with some kind of bean… either a white kidney bean, coffee beans, etc. It depends what color you are going for and what looks best. Or I’m not sure if you are into pine cones but that could be really cute! Or spray painting the pine cones so the 2 browns don’t blend in together? It would add to the woodsy feel!

Or maybe your potatoes and onions, just like comment above this one suggested.

Hope this helped! Let us know what you decide on!

Amy
    January 8, 2014 at 10:00 am

Could you put in near your new Keurig and fill it with your favorite pods?

Emily
    January 8, 2014 at 11:17 am

How about some sort of vase filler (crinkled paper, rice, etc.) and then on top layer in some pretty assorted tea bags or cocoa mixes. Add a tea kettle to the stove and you’ve got yourself a hot drink station!

Jamie
    January 8, 2014 at 11:57 am

I think adding a terrarium to the bowl would be really eye catching! There are small-terrarium friendly plants that would grow to drape over the bowl which would be really pretty. I also love the cloth napkin idea!

Sarah
    January 8, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I say nothing! I think it looks great as is…I have a wooden bowl like this on my microwave and I felt that anything I put in it, took away from the beauty of it. I finally just decided to leave it empty, more of a sculptural piece and love it!

Erica @fortheloveofdecorating
    January 8, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I would be nervous to plant something in there because its wood. I like the faux fruit or faux herbs idea πŸ™‚

Erica

Gretchen
    January 9, 2014 at 12:17 am

Trim down some faux green and white hydrangea…. Stick them in some arrangement foam. Pottery barn has a centerpiece just like it right now. Super gorgeous find!!!

Elizabeth
    January 9, 2014 at 9:27 pm

What a pretty bowl! Make sure that if you plant something in it, you use a waterproof liner to keep from staining the wood/growing mold along with your herbs!

carole
    January 10, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I like the idea of the k-cups too! I use a vintage wooden tool kit holder for mine and i get so many compliments.

Kathy
    January 13, 2014 at 1:45 am

Love that bowl! How come I never find any cool stuff like that when I go to Homegoods? Any how I would put faux herbs in it. I think a touch of green against the wood would be lovely!!

Linda
    January 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I think a mix of brown and purple onions, shallots and garlic bulbs would be lovely against the wood and are handy next to the stove. Although it is beautiful on its own, I believe even beautiful things should be functional. It drove me crazy when my mom would not light ornate candles, but “preserved” them. Sort of like having a talent and not using it.

Stacie
    January 14, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I see more of a collection…or texture…spools of thread/jute/yarn? or another little seasonal spot…I like empty too. I also love Linda’s idea of the onions and bulbs…texture! πŸ™‚ Hmmmmmm,,,