Master Bedroom Shopping + Thrifting

Almost two years ago, I was at HomeGoods with my mom and stumbled on a rug that I immediately fell in love with at first sight… and, of course, immediately posted on Instagram:

Ikat Rug at HomeGoods /

Even though I was head over heals for the 8×10 ikat beauty, I decided to pass it up and ended up buying another rug about 4 hooks down – which happened to end up on Craigslist about 6 months down the road, but that’s another story. A few months later, the rug popped up on Joss & Main. Even though the $1,000+ rug was marked down to $799, I couldn’t bring myself to buy it knowing that I saw it at HomeGoods for $399. I was determined to find it.

I did a hefty amount of extensive research (okay, just a lot of Googling) and found that the rug was from the David Easton Ikat collection by Safavieh. Now that I knew the actual name of the rug, it was a lot easier to hunt down. The 8×10 version was listed for anywhere between $799 to $2,100. After seeing countless “out of stock” statuses, I ultimately gave up and marked it as a loss… and really regretted not snagging it up at Home Goods when I had the chance.

Now let’s fast forward a year or so to the present day. I’ve recently been playing around with ideas for revamping the master bedroom (which is in dire need of attention). When I come up with “mental mood boards” in my head, I kept seeing the rug paired with an upholstered bed (like this or this). So, I decided to try to look for the rug again. Realizing it wasn’t in production anymore, I decided to check Overstock. I clicked through all 1,098 search results for “ikat rug” and on the last page, lo and behold… there it was.

Overstock Rug Find //

The rug was a 9×12 rather than an 8×10, and it was marked all the way down to $491. And I was in luck! They were having a rug sale which marked the price down to $418.19 and free shipping. I texted Greg at work and asked him what he thought and he said, “go for it!”. Now that I think about it, I wonder if he was so quick to agree so he wouldn’t have to hear about “that day at HomeGoods two years ago” anymore, haha.

Cream, Red, Gray and Curry Ikat Rug /

Only 2 days after ordering, the rug showed up at our back door. And I fell in love with it all over again. It’s even more awesome-looking in person. We aren’t quite ready to bring it into the bedroom, so it’s hanging out in the dining room at the moment (we’re waiting until we figure out what we’re going to do with the bed). Coming in at around 9×12, it’s a bit larger than the 8×10 I was initially looking for, but as it turns out, it’s a better size for our bedroom and king-size bed. When it comes down to it, we can easily have it trimmed at our local rug/carpet place if it’s really necessary.

Cream, Red, Gray and Curry Ikat Rug /

The touch of gray is very similar to the paint color in the master bedroom (which is Restoration Hardware’s Slate) so I think it will “mesh” really well. The red and touch of curry-ish yellow is a nice introduction of color into the room that I’m excited to play around with.

Moral of the story: if you see something you love at HomeGoods, don’t pass it up. Lesson learned.

February 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Great find! Love the colors

Elaine - visual meringue
    February 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Gorgeous! You sure earned that rug! Looks great 🙂

February 4, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I work in TK Maxx (European version of TJ Maxx) and we’re _always_ saying that to customers! lol The way we see it, you can always bring it back if it doesn’t work but, if you don’t buy it when you see it, you may well regret it forever!!!

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating
    February 4, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Nice pattern and colors in the rug. Will make a great jumping off point. Glad you found it at a good price!

February 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Love that rug!! What a great find!

February 4, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Fantastic find!!!

Ashlee M
    February 4, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Oooooh, I love that! Rugs are always so hard to find for me. Curtains too!

February 4, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Love it! I’m so glad you found it. It will look awesome with whatever you pick out for your bedroom!

February 4, 2014 at 7:57 pm

I have to admit, that isn’t a rug I’d normally pick out, but I really think it will look amazing with one of those beds you linked to.

Sara M
    February 4, 2014 at 7:59 pm

caroline [the diy nurse]
    February 4, 2014 at 8:51 pm

ohmygosh. I want to hug you I’m so excited for you! How flippin exciting— the LAST page!!! I totally hate that feeling of the one that got away and all that online shopping that ensues afterward. I’ve also heard that places like Joss and Main inflate those before prices and aren’t based on anything. Not sure if it’s true but I’m glad you stuck to your guns! It looks terrific

February 5, 2014 at 9:38 am

Haha! Thank you! : )

February 5, 2014 at 6:11 am

I did the same thing and today still regret my lack to respond. On One Kings Lane, a beautiful rug for my dark hallway; 10% off as a new member and as I would look at it daily, up came an additional 15% off, and I still waited. For me I struggled with, “What will my family say”, which is silly since my husband and I have been empty nesters for many years now. But I had just ordered paisley covered recliners (which I love) that was the first shock to the family knowing my past colors have always been on the muted side of life. I finally ordered my hall rug from and love it almost as much, but there is that longing that someday my rug will reappear.

February 5, 2014 at 9:41 am

Just keep Googling, haha! Hope it turns up!

February 5, 2014 at 7:26 am

So happy for you that you were able to find it again…and at a price so close to what you saw at Home Goods. I love the bold pattern.

Michelle | Birds of Berwick
    February 5, 2014 at 9:29 am

This rug is really beautiful! The colors are stunning! I can’t wait to see what you do in the master bedroom, too. We just put up a plank wall, painted and got all new bedding in hopes to revamp our room and make it more “us” as well. It’s finally feeling cozy!

I also have a similar story about a dining table … you know, “the one that got away” when I didn’t buy it when I should have and have obsessed over it for years? Yeah – it’s nice to know I’m not alone in this!

February 5, 2014 at 9:39 am

Ohh, a plank wall sounds like fun! I’m always a sucker for those.

Jen @ RamblingRenovators
    February 5, 2014 at 11:34 pm

HomeGoods is HomeSense here in Canada and the rule is the same – if you see something you like, buy it! It will never be there later on. So glad you found your long lost rug!

Rain P
    February 6, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Love the bold colors, bold design and bold choice! Seeing it at the end of your hallway will make a beautiful statement.

February 7, 2014 at 2:04 pm

i love a happy ending to a story. i was rooting for you to find it the whole way through. 🙂

February 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Love the rug! It will look great once you put it down! I do wish you guys would post more often…the randomness drives people crazy- one week there is 2,3,4 posts, and the next there is 1, or none. It would be nice to see 1 posting every day monday through friday. Or maybe having a bunch of blog posts that you can throw up if something is going on in your personal life. You would likely get more readers….but I get that it becomes a full time job and not everyone can make a good living as a blogger.
    Best of luck to you guys

February 7, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Thanks, Annie! We’ve had a really hard time this week (and some of last) with technical difficulties preventing us from posting – so things have been more sparse and sporadic than usual. We hope to come to a schedule that works for us (and our “main jobs”) and the readers in the near future, for sure!