Ashley's Office Organizing

Hold the Toast

Use a vintage toast holder to organize small things on your desk. // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Well, I was hoping to be posting about our new dining room light fixture today. Actually, I had hoped to post it yesterday, but some stuff came up and we had to postpone our electrician date with my dad until later today. So, fingers crossed, Greg will have that post ready for you guys tomorrow. But here’s a heads up, we unpackaged the fixture last night and… I’m in love with it and can’t stop looking at it.

Since we can’t chat about the dining room today, I thought it would be fun to share the story behind one of my favorite desk accessories in my office. Well, it’s not much of a “story” but more of an awesome fact, a super sweet gesture by my better half and a handy use for a random item.

Rewind back a few years, to my and Greg’s first Christmas as Mr and Mrs. I was on the hunt for the perfect Christmas gift for my Aunt Dee Dee. Now, something you need to know about my Aunt Dee Dee is that we share a kindred love for I Love Lucy. We know every word to every episode and not-so-secretly wish we lived in the 1950’s, had flaming red hair courtesy of Henna Rinse and lived in a brownstone apartment next-door to our BFFs in New York City. I searched high and low for the perfect Christmas gift and found a “prop dealer” selling this beauty…

“What is that?”, you ask? It’s a vintage toast holder that was used on the set of I Love Lucy. Yes, I freaked out. I went through all of the protocol to make sure the seller (and the prop) was legit and snatched that thing up faster than you could sing the chorus ofΒ Babalu. I was beyond excited to give it to her and couldn’t get over the fact that a piece of classic television history was in my possession. I even saved wrapping her present until last so I could look at it and fawn over it regularly. Lucille Ball touched that very prop. Some of my favorite lines of comedy were spoken in its presence. Yeah, that’s a little dramatic, I know. I’m normally not one to get all worked up or “in awe” over celebrities and things like that, but we’re talking about classic television right here, folks.

Greg quickly caught onto my infatuation for the vintage Lucy-adorned toast holder. Without me knowing, he contacted the seller and asked if he had anymore I Love Lucy prop pieces up his sleeve. Much to his surprise, the toast holder was actually a part of a set of two and the dealer was planning to list the second one that next day. Greg laid on the charm and convinced the man to sell it him prior to listing for the same amount I bought the first toast holder. A few days later, I received a package and was utterly confused as to why my Aunt Dee Dee’s toast holder that was tucked away waiting for Christmas wrapping was being mailed to me all over again. I called Greg at work and he told me what he did. Sweetest. Surprise. Ever. Okay, yeah, I cried.

It actually wasn’t until a few months ago when I finally found a good use for it. It’s the perfect size to hold and organize the little jotter notebooks I normally have floating around my desk. I use these three jotters for passwords to random sites I won’t remember later, a running list of Christmas gift ideas and lists of websites to remember (I hate using browser bookmarks for some reason). The vintage toast holder is perfect for keeping them from being scattered on my desk and getting lost in the shuffle. Being a fan of all things gold these days (who isn’t, right?), I also love the aged brass finish. A big bonus for me is the fact that every time I reach for a jotter, I instinctively think of Lucy’s skilled toast catching capabilities…

I Love Lucy Toast Catch // 7thhouseontheleft.com

From the set of your favorite TV showΒ or not, I can highly recommend using a vintage toast holder to organize your desk. If jotters aren’t your thing, you can also use it to hold incoming and outgoing mail, pencils/pens or even your gadget chargers. It’s a fun way to bring in a bit of vintage to the workspace while keeping things organized and tidy. If you’re in the market for a vintage toast holder to organize your desk top, there’s a plethora of them available on EtsyΒ starting at around $10.

Now I had an odd craving for toast… anyone else?

Megan
    March 26, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Such a sweet post! I love how it looks on your desk and am now thinking about snatching up a toast holder of my own haha.

TANYA
    March 26, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I’m a big Any Griffith fan but i’M still so jealous!! A very neat convo starter piece for sure.

Michelle in Michigan
    March 26, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I knew what that was before I finished your post! I saw a ton of these in England and Scotland while on my honeymoon a few years ago. They were on every breakfast table in every B&B we visited!!!

March 26, 2014 at 12:28 pm

That’s so neat!

Christy
    March 26, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I like to use small vintage trays from flea markets for paper clips and small things like that. You can find them for as little as a dollar. I get a lot of compliments on them and really like the look of them.

March 26, 2014 at 12:28 pm

So fun!

Lauren
    March 26, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I must pull up this show on Hulu tonight! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a rerun and it always makes me laugh.

March 26, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Yes, you must! I think they have a majority of the episodes on there.

Sarah
    March 26, 2014 at 1:32 pm

How incredibly awesome is that?! My husband (before we were married) got the comforter from Jim’s bedroom in American Pie! He LOVES that thing! πŸ™‚

Also, couldn’t help but notice your pretty phone! Is the background bright and cheery?

March 26, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Haha, that’s hilarious! My phone background is currently white with gold foil polka dots (I love it!). You can download it here: http://bit.ly/1fEPcAn

Maddie
    March 26, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Such a sweet story!! Off to search etsy!

Amanda
    March 26, 2014 at 6:23 pm

So cute! Love the story too. I use a bunch of note books too. I love making lists and and jotting notes down.

caroline [the diy nurse]
    March 26, 2014 at 8:32 pm

I love this! I was a big fan of Lucy too- nick at nite was kind of my thing and I’ve always felt out of place in my own generation. Aaand… this past year I started to dye my hair red. My husband is latino. He doesn’t know who Ricky Ricardo is but I think this next Halloween he will find out!

March 26, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Hahahaha! That’s hilarious!

Rachel
    March 27, 2014 at 11:23 am

Soooo as I’m reading your blog I’m noticing a theme..patience. You don’t just go out and buy the first thing you see. You know you want a table for a certain spot in the house but you bide your time and wait for the perfect piece…at the price you want but sometime you splurge when it’s just the right piece.

Hopefully I can show some restraint on my own house. I’m a, I know what I want and I want it now type. I like finished projects.

March 27, 2014 at 11:50 am

I was actually just talking to Greg about this last night. Sometimes, it isn’t actually patience but more so just being scared to make a decision, haha. I need to find a balance because I love finished products too : )

Jenna
    March 27, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I’m a huge I Love Lucy fan also! I went to the ‘museum’ that they set up at Mall of America when I was younger. It was so fun to walk through the ‘set’

I would LOVE a piece of the history in my own home. Do you happen to still have a link to the dealer you used?

March 27, 2014 at 2:46 pm

That’s so neat! I would have love to of seen that. During my last trip to California, we went to the Hollywood Museum, which happened to be the Max Factor building back in the day where Lucy had her hair dyed red for the first time. When we go back this fall, we’re planning on visiting the Lucy museum at Universal Studios. I can’t wait!

No, actually I don’t. I found him by way of a long Google rabbit hole. You might want to check some I Love Lucy fan forums online. I hear that’s where the die hard collectors live.

Sarah
    March 30, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Love the vintage toast holder…but not going to like, I’m dying over that mint notebook with the gold dots!!! Do you remember where you got it, by any chance?

March 30, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Thanks! I bought it from Target a while back. I hope they bring them back!