Dining Room

Out With the Old, In With the New

So, I’ve been heads down this week wrapping up a few graphic design projects for clients as well as working on a huge revamp of my graphic design business. But ya’ll don’t want to hear about that stuff. You guys are here for house stuff. Whilst I’ve been up to my eyeballs in designs, emails, sketches, notes and such, it dawned on me that I totally forgot to mention a semi-major furniture change around here…

Sold Dining Table // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Yep, she’s out of here. Sorry for the nasty photo – it was taken at night, with a cell phone. After literally months and months after realizing this dining table and chair combo wasn’t working for us, we listed it on Craigslist and ended up selling it within 48 hours. Really, it was a great table – amazing quality and gorgeous finish – but it just wasn’t jiving with the style we’re aiming for. This table was more suited for a traditional or transitional home and we’re going for a “rustic modern with a touch of vintage” vibe – if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Now that the room is essentially empty, it’s like a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders and I can breathe again. It’s time to start from scratch, people!

I’m not 100% set on a table and chair combo for the “new” dining room just yet. We’ve already sealed the deal on a table (I’ll be sure to post photos of that pronto – I’m in head over heels inΒ love with it) but I’m completely lost when it comes to the chairs. I’m not going to rush into a decision and buy 8 chairs of something I think I might like – that’s what happened when we bought the first dining room set, and it ended up weighing us down (style-wise) for two years. This time, I’m going to take my sweet time and wait for the perfect ones to come along – even if we have to sit at the table with office chairs for a while.

All of that to say… the traditional table is gone, we’re starting over, we bought a new table and we’re on the hunt for chairs. Do any of you have comfy dining room chairs that you particularly love? Share them in the comments so we can get some ideas!

Molly
    March 14, 2014 at 8:13 am

I’m a big fan of the Henriksdal chairs from Ikea. They’re super comfy! The covers are removable and washable and come in a bunch of color/fabric options. I went with the (cheapest) Gobo white covers and dyed them a custom color using RIT dye. The wooden legs also come in all the standard ikea wood colors.

Heather W
      March 14, 2014 at 11:11 pm

So funny, I have a trestle table with the Henriksdal chairs with white slip cover with skirt at the head of the table and the Target industrial chairs on the sides. I love the look! I was going for a modern, traditional hit of industrial look myself. All the chairs are really comfortable too. Good Luck!

March 14, 2014 at 11:16 pm

That’s actually one of the combos we’ve been thinking about!

Jess
    March 14, 2014 at 8:23 am

I really like your blog, but I am stumped as to when you guys post. It seems like you guys could be huge, but your irregular posting gets in the way of that. It seems a little spastic and makes it hard to get excited about following you and seeing what you do.

March 14, 2014 at 10:24 am

Thanks, Jess! We hope to get in a “schedule groove” in the future – we’ve both just been really busy with our “main jobs” lately as blogging isn’t our full time gig. In the meantime, be sure you like us on Facebook to keep track of when we post.

Kerri
    March 14, 2014 at 8:44 am

We are in a similar position. We have the table we love but we are trying to find chairs that we think fit perfectly. It’s been a struggle to find what we love. Excited to see the new table!

Mara
    March 14, 2014 at 9:54 am

We bought the industrial metal chairs from target and LOVE them! I’m not sure what your table looks like, but there are definitely endless possibilities out there. Can’t wait to see what table you got!

Ceci Bean
    March 14, 2014 at 11:04 am

I’m in the same boat! Or maybe the opposite boat? I just bought a set of chairs I think are awesome and I am stumped trying to figure out what type of table will work best with them.

Amy
    March 14, 2014 at 11:33 am

I know you have more than one post that includes the name of the stain you used on your floor, but can you please tell me again? Also, do you have white oak or red oak? Have you been satisfied with the floors durability? I ask because we have to make some decicisions regarding our flooring soon. We are thinking 4″ wide and we know we want to go dark, but I don’t want them so dark that they look black. Thanks Ashley! πŸ™‚ Happy Friday!

March 14, 2014 at 11:40 am

We have red oak floors with Minwax’s Dark Walnut stain. We are still in love with our floors – they’ve been great. The only thing that bugs me sometimes is that there’s a slight red tint in some lighting – but that’s only because I’m not a fan of reddish browns. As far as durability, it’s great! We have a few stretches here and there from wear and tear, but you can’t see them unless you get down on the floor and look for it, haha. There is a post about the entire flooring process here. Hope that helps!

Amanda
    March 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I have a piece of furniture in my house that is beautiful but I realized a couple of months later that it didn’t really fit my style. Unfortunately, my husband seems a little attached to it since it’s perfect storage for his liquor/glasses lol. Hopefully, I can find something that suites both of our tastes!

Liz
    March 14, 2014 at 12:11 pm

We also shoot for a rustic modern vibe in our home. When we replaced our dining room furniture we went with the Basque dining table in Java from crate and barrel and paired it with the Willa side chair in peacock. They are a fun teal color that says ‘this is not a formal space’ as we do not have an eat-in-kitchen. They had cushions that were not intended for the Willa but fit perfectly. That are super comfy and look great!

March 14, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Ohh, I love those chairs!

Debra
    March 14, 2014 at 12:49 pm

We bought a farm table and haven’t purchased chairs yet either. Gah.

March 14, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Welcome to the club!

Kevin
    March 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Hiya — JUST TODAY I saw 10 really cool vintage/traditional chairs at Class & Trash on Rt. 1 (saw them on CL). Right now they look traditional, but with a hip paint job, YOWZA. Buy them and show us how cool you make them.

March 14, 2014 at 1:07 pm

We’ll have to check them out! Thanks for the heads up : )

Megan
    March 14, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Just bought these chairs and are IN LOVE with them! Our dining room has a rustic vibe and these fit right in! http://bit.ly/1fXYzwi

March 14, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I’ve seen those in the store and love them! Very pretty! Now that you have them in your home, how do you feel about them quality-wise?

Michelle | Birds of Berwick
    March 14, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I just did a dining room post this week because we bought a new table and chairs! Check it out! I LOVE our new chairs so so so much!!! http://www.birdsofberwick.com/2014/03/12/dining-room-updates/

March 14, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Thanks for sharing! : )

Holly
    March 15, 2014 at 8:19 am

Did/Do you guys have concerns about people coming to your house from Craigslist? Or did you pack up the table and meet them somewhere? We’re always seeing warnings about not having people come to your house, but for large pieces of furniture or appliances I’ve always wondered what people end up doing.

March 15, 2014 at 10:26 am

I actually talked to her on the phone a few times before her and her husband came with a truck (all the way from North Carolina!) and she was super nice and personal – so I didn’t have any reservations.

Paige.Rose
    March 17, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I feel as though you & your husband are similar to my husband & I !! I just stumbled upon your Blog & LOVEEE IT! I can clearly relate to your excitement over selling the table! We’ve all has those pieces of furniture that we know will just not {cut the look} we’re going for, but the actual piece is very nice & having a very modern black & white style going on..not so much these days! I agree I’m more of a traditional,Rustic & Glam mix!! As a new blogger it’s nice to stumble on such a Humble Blog!

-Paige.rose

March 17, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Thanks so much!

hena tayeb
    March 17, 2014 at 5:01 pm

looking forward to see what you decide on. we just bought a new set and I was obsessed with the windsor chair.

Captain Micah
    April 15, 2014 at 2:53 pm

For true comfort, awesome style, and durability for the long-haul, may I highly recommend the Sophia chair from World Market? I had six for our dining room in the espresso, and I also have one in green (not available online but sometimes in stores) for my office chair. They are super comfy, look great, and are easy to keep clean. We bought dining furniture first before saving up for nice living room sofas, so I wanted something comfortable yet pretty for people to enjoy (I heart entertaining). These did the job and then some! They are wonderful, and are even on sale right now! Go sit on them in a store and fall in love!

April 15, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Will definitely try them out!