Holiday

Not Your Grandma’s Easter Eggs

Not Your Grandma's Easter Eggs // 7 Easter Egg Decorating Ideas // 7thhouseontheleft.com

Thanks to a quick Pinterest search, I have come to realize that anything and everything has been done to an Easter egg. They’ve been gilded, washi-taped, decoupaged, glittered, studded, chalk-boarded and even painted with nail polish. While I still have a major soft spot for the classic PAAS Coloring Kit (the smell of the dye still brings me back to my Grandma’s kitchen island), it’s official to say that we’ve gone way beyond the traditional dying technique from the days of yore and have moved on to more elaborate decorations. Here are a few of my favorites from the World Wide Web…

1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7

I bought a set of wooden eggs on Amazon about a month or so ago. I planned on decorating them and being able to keep them for next year – as apposed to decorating real eggs and having to throw them away. I had every intention of decorating them by now, but there they are, still sitting in the project pile here in my office. After rounding up this inspiration, I must say I’m a little intimidated. So. Many. Ideas. I still can’t decide what to do with them and I might even end up saving them for next year – we shall see.

Do you have a favorite Easter egg decorating technique? Or do you stick to the tried-and-true PAAS Kit?

Amy
    April 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Uh.. the ombre in #7 rocks my world!!!

Christy
    April 11, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Ahhhhh I LOVED PAAS!!
    I can smell the vinegar now…

Dana
    April 11, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I love #2 and #3. So fun!

Amanda
    April 11, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I actually really like the simplicity of #1 – that’s my style though 🙂 The ombre eggs are beautiful, but I think it would lose the effect if you positioned the eggs any differently than how they are in the picture.

April 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I saw a photo in a magazine where they displayed ombre eggs in a vase, going darker to lighter, and it was actually really pretty!

Amanda
      April 14, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Ashley – that’s a pretty idea! Just shows my creativity limitations haha

Jule
    April 12, 2014 at 6:33 am

I made gold-leaf easter eggs last year and they were absolutely gorgeous! I have bought the colors and gold leaf for this year already, but when I look at the ombre eggs, that might be what I was looking for for this year’s easter brunch buffet … I’m sure my guests would like it!
    Jule

Linda
    April 23, 2014 at 10:12 pm

When I was in my teens (a long time ago), I “blew” about two dozen eggs, dyed them, and then hand-painted each with watercolors. The big “hit” was one with Snoopy as the Easter bunny carrying a basket of eggs. Everyone fought over that one, but I had some with flowers, etc. When my daughter was little, we took all sorts of “gummed” objects (hole reinforcements, varying strips of tape, rubber bands, dots, letters, etc.) and affixed them to the naked blown eggs and then we Pas-dyed them and removed the objects, leaving various modern designs on them. Some eggs we dipped again so the revealed spots were a different color, or a lighter shade of the same color. I then took all the eggs, wired them (floral wire and some hot glue into the bottom hole) and placed them in a lavender flower planter so they looked like pastel flowers in the planter. I still have it 20 years later.

For the wooden eggs: you could stain them with furniture stain in varying shades–much like nature–varying shades of brown, pale turquoise and blue. Best suggestion: whatever you do, do them NOW, so you don’t run into a time crunch next year.