Blog Talk

Long Time, No Type…

When Pigs Fly / 7thhouseontheleft.com

First off, sorry for the delay in getting this post to the Instagram/Facebook followers. I promised an update post a few weeks ago whilst Greg was making some background site changes. (In other words, geeky code changes that I kind of don’t understand.) Long story short, the changes took longer than expected and ultimately delayed the post going live. But, here we are!

I’ve sat down to write this long-overdue update post at least 23 times, but every time I got past the first sentence, I just didn’t know where to start. I guess I’ll just start by saying Greg and I are both very happy and healthy. Oh, and Bentley too. He’s good and as cute as ever – if I do say so myself.

We didn’t plan on taking a blog break or even really had a desire to at first. We didn’t have a case of the infamous “blogger burnout” and decide to step back for a bit. When it came down to it, it was more of a matter of our priorities shifting. Since our last post a few months ago, so many things are the same, yet so many things have changed.

When Pigs Fly / 7thhouseontheleft.com

As for what is the same… Like I said before, we’re happy, we’re healthy, and we’re still living in the same city, in the same house. We are absolutely still happily married. (We actually had emails asking about our marital status!) Greg is still a geeky web developer who has an odd love for furniture with cup pulls. I’m still a working graphic designer with a notebook obsession. The master bathroom still needs to be finished and my office is still in a state of flux. I still can’t sew to save my life, and Greg still leaves a trail of guitar picks wherever he goes.

As far as the change… I’ve managed to keep a non-succulent plant alive for more than four weeks. (I mean, really, folks. That’s major.) There are 10 chairs around our dining room table (we finally made a decision!) and there are curtains hanging on more than one window in the house. Greg now has a manly hipster beard (he’s just 3 months shy of his “yeard”) and he spends a lot more time reading. I suddenly like cherry tomatoes and I’m taking on more graphic design clients. We’ve also both completely given up diet sodas. (If you know us, you know our love for Diet Dr. Pepper was real.)

The most drastic change (other than the plant I mentioned above being alive) is that Greg is now the worship pastor at our church. About three years ago, our dear friends planted a church here in Richmond. We’ve been involved from the beginning in one capacity or another, but started regularly attending last January. Greg pretty much immediately started playing in the band, and I started singing regularly later in the year. Long story short, in November of last year, he became the worship pastor/elder. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a “professional geek” anymore, but it does mean that he and I have a “family” of about 15 musicians and singers that we do our best to lead on a weekly basis. On top of that, I also fulfill some of the church’s graphic design and social media needs, Greg works with the lead teaching pastor to guide the church from a spiritual and logistical perspective and starting soon, we’ll be leading a weekly small group together.

And, guess what? We couldn’t be happier. We know this is where God has placed us and we couldn’t be more thrilled to be serving and doing life with the people in our local church. In light of these new responsibilities, our priorities have shifted from our own house and the blog to a community of awesome people. We can’t really apologize for that, but as they say, hind sight is always 20/20. We would have loved to have said, “Hey guys, we’re going to take a break from the blog for a while…”, but the “blog break” wasn’t planned. Our priorities simply gradually shifted – for the better.

So, what now? We are still planning to post house updates from time to time. (Pretty sure the next post will be about the dining room chairs!) We can’t guarantee weekly updates at this point because, honestly, we just don’t have the time to do projects, shoot/edit photos, and create 3 posts a week like we used to. However, we do want to keep you up to date. That might mean posts are shorter or spaced farther apart, but we’re looking forward to getting back in touch with all of you. If you want to be notified when we post a post via email, just type your email address in the “Subscribe” bar over in the sidebar to the right. It isn’t a newsletter or anything like that, it just notifies you when there’s a new post!

Instagram is where I hang out these days and where I’ve managed to keep in touch with the rest of the online world. (Boy, do I have some serious blog-reading to catch up on!) If you’re on Instagram, you can find me over at @AshleyBrown. I share personal/design work/organizing fun/church/Bentley/Greg updates pretty often. So, if you want to hang and see what we’re up to a little more on the regular, that’s where you’ll find me.

We so appreciate all of the virtual love that has come our way the past few months! Thank you all for sticking in there with us and being patient with us during this time of transition. We’re glad to be “back” in some sense of the word – we’ve missed you guys!

Bianca
    April 22, 2015 at 9:29 am

FINALLY! An update! Was getting worried.

Val
    April 22, 2015 at 9:29 am

Happy you are happy!!

Jenni
    April 22, 2015 at 9:35 am

Really happy to see an update from you guys again! Fully understand the shifting priorities and new activities, but am looking forward to again every once in a while hearing/seeing what you guys are working on, as really loved all the stuff I’ve seen in the last 2+ years of following your blog.

Laryn
    April 22, 2015 at 10:24 am

Thank you for the update. But I hope you update more often than not. I’ve been having YHL and 7th House on the Left withdrawals!!! It’s not fun.

Holly
      April 22, 2015 at 1:44 pm

RIGHT!! It’s like we all need a support group – LOL!

Melanie
    April 22, 2015 at 10:24 am

I’m happy for you guys in that you’re doing what you apparently love! I hope you’ll be able to share some of the church building updates you mentioned a while ago.

April 23, 2015 at 11:31 am

Yeah, hopefully I’ll be able to do that soon!

Sara
    April 22, 2015 at 10:25 am

I’ve been checking here for WEEEEEEEEEKS to see if you posted anything and here you areeeeee! SO happy to see you are well! Miss you two!

Meghan B
    April 22, 2015 at 10:25 am

’ve been reading you guys since you started the kitchen remodel and I have to say even though I might sound like a weirdo I feel like I know you. Reading this post brings me so much joy! I’m happy for you and wish you all the best! Hope to see more of you on here soon!

Nicole
    April 22, 2015 at 10:25 am

Glad to see you’re alive and well!

Dana
    April 22, 2015 at 10:27 am

SOOO relieved you guys actually posted something! I was getting worried there for a while. Hope you decide to post more often.

Marry
    April 22, 2015 at 10:27 am

You will be missed.

Michelle
    April 22, 2015 at 10:28 am

Can’t wait to hear about the dining room chairs! I’ve been imagining what you ended up with.

April 23, 2015 at 11:29 am

You won’t have to wait long! I’ll be posting that next week – all I have to do is take/edit the photos : )

Lauren Smith
    April 22, 2015 at 10:29 am

Curtains? I want to see curtains!

April 23, 2015 at 11:28 am

Those will come along with the dining room chair post! Woo hoo!

Kim
    April 22, 2015 at 10:44 am

Welcome back!
    God is good! ♥

Emily
    April 22, 2015 at 11:26 am

Yay! Glad to see you guys back! With YHL gone, local bloggers with style have decreased!! Glad also that God has you on such a good path even if it’s updating the interwebs less. 😉

April 23, 2015 at 11:27 am

Thanks so much! That means a ton!

Megan {The Brick Bungalow}
    April 22, 2015 at 11:33 am

Congrats on the plant!!! I realized I’ve had two cacti for almost 8 years… YEARS. They are so neglected and need repotted (they’ve been living in the same tiny pot and soil this whole time). One was the type with the colorful cactus on top that then rotted, but I cut it off and now the bottom cactus made a baby. Talk about a proud moment!!! I can keep lots of things alive but there’s so nice about when they reproduce and continue to thrive.

April 23, 2015 at 11:26 am

Wow! That is truly impressive!

Holly
    April 22, 2015 at 11:47 am

So happy for you! Already a follower on Instagram, love it! Will always love the blog, but you guys have to do whatever and WHENEVER is good for Y-O-U!

I will admit though, after losing YHL and then you guys for awhile it was a hard morning/afternoon habit to break for a bit. Always clicking…checking…just to see if any amazing updates, notebooks, washi tape, Disney, or all things Geek popped up 🙂

April 23, 2015 at 11:24 am

Thank you, Holly! That means a lot!!

Kiley C
    April 22, 2015 at 11:57 am

I have missed your posts! So glad you’er back. Anxious to see the new house updates!

MARSHA
    April 22, 2015 at 12:00 pm

It’s about time! I needed a 7th fix! I’ve found some new blogs to read but kept coming back to see if you were alive. Ha! It sounds like you have been super busy but I’m glad to know you’re carving time for the blog world. Keep it coming:)

MINDY
    April 22, 2015 at 12:11 pm

WELCOME BACK! ARE YOU STILL A TARGET FAN? YOU MEMTIONED YOUR LOVE FOR NOTEBOOKS. THEY HAD SOME REALLY CUTE ONES AT MY TARGET (ANAHEIM, CA) YESTERDAY.

April 23, 2015 at 11:23 am

I will forever and always be a Target fan! Their GreenRoom notebooks are some of my favorites (here’s a link: http://bit.ly/1DmWfGa).

Brianna L.
    April 22, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Sending love from Bridgeport, Connecticut! You left us hanging and I can’t wait to see the chairs you chose for your dining room. I loved your table! Welcome back!

J.J.
    April 22, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I understand being involved in a church! Time management will be a necessity, but I’m sure you’ve figured that out:)

April 23, 2015 at 11:21 am

I’ve found that out recently, haha! Ya’ll know I’m all about planners and organization, but I’ve been searching for a GOOD planner. I’ve been wanting to design my own for forever so it could be “just right” for what I need, but I simply don’t have time (need to manage my time better, ha!). So, I think I’ve finally decided to get on the Emily Ley bandwagon again. Looking forward to the pre-sale next week!

Pamela Kay W.
    April 22, 2015 at 12:29 pm

I need curtain help! Where did you find curtains you liked? I’ve looked everywhere. Pretty done with the whole process. Very frustrating.

Lindsey @ A Pear to Remember
      April 23, 2015 at 10:15 am

Pamela: I looked to my fav blogs for curtain inspiration and am very happy with what we found for our home. I used target and IKEA for all of our curtains 🙂 overstock.com has lots of stuff, but I liked being able to feel them in person before buying.

April 23, 2015 at 11:17 am

West Elm seems to be our go-to place to find curtains we love. Though they are on the long side, so we have to get them hemmed (or use hem tape) each time. World Market has a great selection too! Hope you find some you like!

Deb G
    April 22, 2015 at 1:28 pm

So glad to “see” you back! You all have such style…I missed it!

Dawn
    April 22, 2015 at 2:30 pm

WOW, what a wonderful surprise to see you today! 🙂 You have been missed! So happy to hear of your involvement in church planting and Greg being the worship leader. That is great news! Church planting is a wonderful ministry. Congratulations! I live in the east end. Where do you all go to church?

Kim
    April 22, 2015 at 4:00 pm

I’m so happy that your break was because it was God’s calling on your life and not because of any emergency. Love the blog, but worship should be all consuming. Good luck and hope to see as many posts as you have time for.

Lori H
    April 22, 2015 at 10:16 pm

So happy to say “Welcome Back!” I love blogs, but am trying to do Instagram so I will follow you there, too. I would love to hear more about your church. We attend Mt Vernon Baptist in the west end. All your update was great – glad that you were just busy, not going through some awful crisis. Looking forward to reading anything you have time to post! 🙂

April 23, 2015 at 11:14 am

Thank you, Lori! You’ll probably hear more about it over on Instagram for sure! We’re over on the West End as well – a bit of a drive for us from Hanover, but it’s worth it ; )

Chantel
    April 22, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Amen! Good for you guys! Glad all is well, and welcome back to the blog:)

Concerned
    April 23, 2015 at 12:37 am

Thank goodness! I was so worried. Thank you for the update. Take your time and God Bless you both.

Kelly J
    April 23, 2015 at 9:05 am

So glad to see you back! I have been check every week for a new post. Such a nice surprise this morning

Kara Brown
    April 23, 2015 at 9:44 am

So happy for you guys! Totally understand how life shifts like that on us and in really good ways, glad you are growing in a spiritual community and have found a new “home”. 🙂 Look forward to the next post!

P.S. You may recall I asked you about your kitchen cabinets…finally working on finishing up my own blog posts about our own kitchen remodel. Check it out when you have a moment. http://www.kandradventures.com/kitchen-remodel-demo-install/

April 23, 2015 at 11:13 am

Thank you so much! Your kitchen is looking lovely!! I love the island color and the niche detail – both things I think we’d do if we’d do our kitchen over again, haha. Can’t wait to see your finished kitchen!

Esther
    April 23, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Ashley,

I am so glad that you all are doing well and thriving in the life the Lord has given you. I was wondering what happened but I kind of figured something to do with your church was the reason. Its is awesome to hear that your community is growing and the amazing shift that is happening for you all in ministry. Just so you know – you have one here too online – loved seeing you mention your church and God – its encouraging!! Blessings in this Adventure you are on.

April 23, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Thank you, so much! Your encouragement means a lot!

Christie
    April 26, 2015 at 10:31 am

So glad to see you guys back! I’ve followed your blog from the beginning, and love your keen sense of style and design ideas!

I must ask…where on Earth did you get those colored pencils and that super case vase they’re in?!?!

April 26, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Thank you for sticking with us! The pencils are from Michaels (they’re Martha Stewart brand) and the vase is a votive candle holder from Crate & Barrel.

Kara
    April 27, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Though I miss seeing some updates, good for you! Music at church brings worship to a whole other level. May the Lord continue to bless all your endeavors.

Jackie
    May 3, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Ashley — have missed your beautiful posts. May God bless you three fold as you seek Him first! 🙂 Hooray you’re back!

Cindy
    May 4, 2015 at 10:11 am

Hey Ashley, I have actually been stalking your blog….HEE! Glad to see you are back and wanted to tell you that your post was an inspiration to me with the little clothes pins can with plant that you done! I actually posted mine on my blog and gave you a shout out! Happy Monday, Hugs and blessings, Cindy

debra
    May 4, 2015 at 4:23 pm

I have been wondering. Missed you but totally understand.

Nick Tedesco
    May 5, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Welcome Back!

Monique
    May 18, 2015 at 1:38 am

Have missed the blog, more than you know. So glad all is well, and it sounds like you are doing as you should, may the blessings continue to flow~

Alanna
    May 19, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for posting. Thanks for following the voice of God and letting the blogosphere know about it. as an avid reader of your blog, daughter of a pastor who started his own church, worship leader, and believer. it’s always awesome to know that other’s are sacrificing what they thought they knew they’d be doing for what He says do.

abundnat blessings

Linda
    May 21, 2015 at 3:33 pm

I am SO happy to hear you are all well and happy and just embarking on a more important calling. I, like MANY, have missed you, have fretted, and am now relieved for the happy update. And yes, I was one of the people who sent you a private email expressing concern about everyone’s well being. I am also relieved to see that I wasn’t the only one feeling like putting your faces on a milk carton, and searching for word week after week. You have created a family of strangers who truly care about you, Greg and Bentley. Welcome back!

Paola
    May 22, 2015 at 2:46 pm

I truly wish you the best and am glad everything is going well. you inspired me to start my own blog Endevourly.com about all things classic chic, recipes, home decor, housekeeping and cool product reviews.

Kate
    June 5, 2015 at 9:04 am

YOU GUYS!! That’s so exciting!! Congratulations – I love when I see folks following where the Lord leads!

Kate
    June 5, 2015 at 9:09 am

I just realized I had more to say LOL…

So I was blogging away last July and suddenly stopped (oddly enough, right after a post entitled ‘End the Glorification of Busy’) for the same reasons you guys did. I felt Spirit-led in another direction (becoming the creative lead at a ministry in CA)…the difference is I just started blogging again like…this week.

But you know what? I wouldn’t change it. God did amazing work this past year, and I was blessed to be a part of it. You will be too <3

June 6, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Thank you so much, Kate! Can’t wait to check out your blog <3

Taylor
    August 17, 2015 at 11:35 pm

What kind of colored pencils are those you have there?

August 25, 2015 at 10:41 am

They are from the Martha Stewart line at Michaels! : )

Betty
    June 26, 2016 at 10:41 am

Dear Ashley, I’m so happy to hear of your new ministry. God has let you to meet some very wonderful people and with your positive outlook I know he has a great plan for you and Greg. was wondering if you ever change the landscaping in the front of your house?

June 27, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Thanks, Betty! No, we haven’t. Unfortunately, our landscaping is much neglected at the moment, haha. We hope that changes sooner rather than later!