Dining Room Shopping + Thrifting

Pull Up A Chair

Dining Room Chairs / 7thhouseontheleft.com

First of all, we so appreciate all of the virtual love and support from you guys when we posted our last post! The comments, emails and messages have meant so much. Thank you for sticking in there with us!

You know how like a million years ago, we were trying to decide on chairs for our new dining room table? Well, after months and months – seven to be exact – we finally have dining chairs. And we can have people over for a real dinner again! Cue: the corniest version of Funkytown America’s “Celebrate Good Times”.

Dining Room / 7thhouseontheleft.com

I’m going to go ahead and apologize for the weird lighting in these photos! That’s what I get for trying to take pictures at noon! The room still looks a little sparse; although I want to keep things simple and not make it too busy. Two things I’m on the hunt for right now: 1. Some sort of simple modern green/plant/floral decor to go down the center of the table – channeling my inner Joanna Gaines. 2. An old, beat up, black (or almost black) guitar to hang on the wall in the corner – something that looks like it would go in Deacon Claybourne’s house.

Back to the chairs. I love. these. chairs. So does Greg, but I was the one with the squeals of “Don’t you just love theeeeeeese?!” for weeks after we got them. Okay, I may still do that from time to time. Maybe not everyday, but every time I walk through the dining area, my heart is happy. That, my friends, is what happens when you picked the right piece of furniture for your home.

Restoration Hardware Dining Chair Pairing / 7thhouseontheleft.com

As I mentioned when we bought the dining room table, I was dead set on waiting until we found the perfect chairs and were completely positive they were the ones. After a lot of going back and forth (because that’s what decorating is like is casa de Brown), we finally decided on classic industrial side chairs paired with upholstered classic modern chairs on the ends. (The Remy Side Chair in Burnished Steel and the Sloan Armchair in Weathered Oak Driftwood / Belgian Linen / Sand – both from Restoration Hardware).

Restoration Hardware Dining Table / 7thhouseontheleft.com

I’ve got to be honest, at first I was a really apprehensive about the metal side chairs. Sure, they look cool but I wanted chairs where our friends and family would be comfortable enough to easily spend hours sitting around the table playing games and talking. Therefore, whenever these chairs would come up in my search, I’d disregard them as an option. It wasn’t until after our church bought these for our meeting table when I realized they were actually pretty comfortable. They don’t sit at all like you’d think a metal chair would and I can attest to the fact that they’re great long conversation chairs.

When we purchased them, Restoration Hardware was having one of their Friends & Family Sale (20% off everything, including sale items). They have similar chairs on Overstock and at Target, but they aren’t as good of quality and aren’t as large as these. But, the ones at Overstock and Target were more expensive. So, this was a great deal.

Dining Room Chairs / 7thhouseontheleft.com

As for the upholstered beauties, I love the classic meets modern look of these. They’re kind of like a modern take on a wingback – which really spoke to my and Greg’s personal styles. Exceptionally comfortable and cozy, these chairs just had us at hello. They’re 43.5″ high, making them about 6.5″ taller than the side chairs. So, they’re large enough to look more “substantial” than the side chairs, but not too huge so that it looks out of place or overpowering for our living/dining room combo area. In the words of Goldilocks, they’re just right.

With the 20% off for the RH Friends & Family sale, we were able to save a good amount on these chairs as well, though they were still pretty pricey as fast as dining chairs go. However, with dining room chairs, we’ve found that you get what you pay for. By mixing the more expensive chair with a less expensive chair, we got a look we really love.

Dining Room / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Oh, and while I’m at it, a dining table update! (For more about our dining room table, check out this post!) As for sealing the table top (we still get questions about that a lot), we have yet to pull the trigger. So far, the table has held up beautifully and we really haven’t felt a huge need to seal it. We don’t have kids, so there aren’t a ton of spills and messes going on around our neck of the woods. Though, all of our friends have small kids, so we’ve had a few small spills here and there, but there hasn’t been any damage at all. The table is so rustic that is there was, I don’t think you’d notice it anyway. (‘Tis one of the perks of having a rustic dining table.) On the other hand, if it was sealed, I would probably relax a little better when we eat and have game nights. The main thing I inwardly freak out about are drink rings. So, that being said, we’ll probably end up sealing it at some point in the future. But for now, it’s doing just fine.

erin
    May 22, 2015 at 3:54 pm

I have been waiting for this update! Love the new chairs and the curtains!!! Are those from West elm? I have been wanting chairs like this, but don’t even bother to look at RH for fear they are out of my price range, but ones from other stores are way too small!!! Glad to see these are larger and can be bought at a reasonal price! Its coming together so nicely!

May 22, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Thanks! Yep, they’re from West Elm!

Sarah
    May 22, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Where is your dining room light fixture from?

Olivia
    May 22, 2015 at 4:55 pm

SO glad your back! How do you protect your floors with these chairs?

May 22, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Thank you!! So far, no scratches! The chairs have resin feet on them that seem to protect the floors pretty well. Plus, we have three coats of polyurethane on our floors, so it takes a lot to scratch it up.

RM
    May 22, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Looks very beautiful. I love how rustic and casual it looks. Can you share where you got your curtains from?

May 22, 2015 at 9:09 pm

They’re from West Elm! Unfortunately they don’t carry that design anymore, but they have a ton of other great patterned curtain options.

Lauren Smith
    May 22, 2015 at 9:11 pm

AW I’ve missed your house!!! Is that weird to say?!!!

Beth S
    May 22, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Love this update ! This is what I’ve been missing!

Michelle
    May 22, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Love love love love the chair combo!

Rach M
    May 22, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I never would have put those two chairs together but I really adore it. Now I need a dining table big enough!

Lillie
    May 22, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Beautiful!!!!!!

Christy
    May 22, 2015 at 9:14 pm

This is coming together so well! Love everything you do.

Katherine Kealey
    May 23, 2015 at 8:09 am

So glad you guys are back! Any post that mentions Joanna and Deacon wins my heart over!

May 23, 2015 at 8:18 am

Hahaha!

julia
    May 23, 2015 at 2:59 pm

I missed you – welcome back!!!!!

Barb
    May 23, 2015 at 10:52 pm

What is the name of thecolor of the gray paint on the walls?

Please advise!

Thanks!

May 24, 2015 at 11:44 am

It’s Cobblestone by Martha Stewart.

Hollie @ Stuck on Hue
    May 23, 2015 at 11:27 pm

The chairs look great, both with the table and with each other. Nice choices! We have the same table, and use the modern white scoop back chairs from West Elm, but I’m bit tired of them. What we did to protect our table was get a piece of glass cut to fit the top. You can still see the rustic look, but it leaves a smooth, protected, surface.

May 24, 2015 at 11:43 am

Oohh, good idea!

Jenn
    May 26, 2015 at 10:54 am

Love the end chairs – they look so comfortable! If you are worried about rings on your table, apply some mineral oil to soak into the wood. It’s a nice natural alternative to sealing wood, and will keep out any water marks 🙂

Izaskun
    May 29, 2015 at 1:57 am

Missed your posts and your house… where is the chest from last picture¿ it is beautiful… so many drawers

October 28, 2015 at 9:54 am

Thank you! It was given to us by my Aunt; it’s from the library of the college Greg and I both graduated from. It’s easily our favorite piece on our house! If you hunt for a while, you can find them sometimes on Craigslist (or Ebay) by searching “card catalog”.

Georgia
    June 5, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Love these! So classy and beautiful.

Brandi Norton
    June 10, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Now I’m the one with the squeals. I’ve really missed you guys and get giddy (yes, giddy) when you post. Regarding the farmhouse table, I would suggest a long rustic box like http://www.naptimedecorator.net/uncategorized/christmas-2013-mantel-decorating-around-a-mounted-tv/ for the tablescape. You can fill with candles, seasonal floral or whatever strikes your fancy.

June 11, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Haha! Thanks, Brandi! I love that idea! We actually made one similar for the peninsula in our kitchen a while back, but it isn’t quite long enough for this table. Might have to make another one soon!

Joyce Wan
    June 16, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Gorgeous dining room! I’m also contemplating the RH Remy chairs in the burnished steel and found your blog post. Interestingly enough I had also been thinking about that beautiful light fixture too! Did you get the fixture in the antique brass or the antique bronze. It looks REALLY good with the chairs. Thanks for sharing your lovely home with us! XO

June 17, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Thank you! Glad you found us : ) It’s been a while since we got the light fixture but I’m pretty sure it’s the bronze finish. Hope that helps!

Glorify Home
    September 2, 2015 at 4:16 am

Hey Ashley,

visiting your blog for the first time,

agreed completely with you, it isn’t easy to decide on things like tables and chairs where we have so many options to choose from and so many requirements to fulfil. And yet, it is all fun!

I like your chairs, and the discounts too that you managed on them. Good work,

Tina
    September 8, 2015 at 7:58 am

I love your dining room so much!! It is so classy and comfort!!! Thanks for sharing your house with us!

Shay
    October 24, 2015 at 12:26 am

I love how the space turned out. It’s absolutely beautiful. Are the chairs more of a bronze color or a very dark gray. I wanted to purchase some but was not sure of their burnished steel color compared to the gunmetal color. Thanks!

October 28, 2015 at 9:52 am

I’d say they were more of a dark gray with a bit of a bronze undertone in certain lighting. Hope that helps!

Johanna
    November 19, 2015 at 1:32 pm

I just have to say that I love your blog and miss your posts! Okay, so I am interested in purchasing the Remy chairs and wondered if they are wide enough to be comfortable and was curious if you know the weight limit on them.

Thanks 🙂

January 4, 2016 at 9:36 am

We love our Remy chairs! They’re definitely wide enough to be comfortable – unlike a lot of other metal “farmhouse chairs” we’ve come across. I’m not sure of the exact weight limit on them, but they’ve held up really nice to the wear and tear over here. You might want to email Restoration Hardware and ask for that specific spec. Sorry I couldn’t help!

Linda
    November 23, 2015 at 1:47 am

We miss you guys! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Angel
    December 9, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I can understand why you are hesitant to seal it as I would fear it would change the “look” too. We went through this when having big old barn shutters custom built for the exterior of our tabby home. I played with tons of stains and finally decided on a marine clear coat sealant. I’m a realtor on the Coast and this is frequently used for docks etc. It’s about $75/gallon and for 12 shutters double coated I went through two gallons.
    We get comments all the time though because they’ve got their natural wood beauty in various colors. It helps in Weather and for your table with stains but it doesn’t become high gloss like some table in a restaurant with too much sheen.
    Love your style!

January 4, 2016 at 9:27 am

Oooh, thanks for the tip!!

Jessica
    April 3, 2016 at 11:40 am

Looks beautiful! We just bought the same table, how do you clean it daily? Thanks!

June 27, 2016 at 11:06 am

I’ve found that the best way is to use a vacuum cleaner with a clean bristle attachment.

Jamie
    April 18, 2016 at 11:00 am

Love the chairs! I have the same table (just a bit smaller) and I went with the Sinclair chairs…big mistake! They’re beautiful but they make a cracking noise whenever anyone sits down or gets up. :-/ RH has always provided us with such stellar customer service though, they offered to replace them and I think I’m going to go with the Remy in black. No complaints with the metal, right?

June 26, 2016 at 10:20 pm

No complaints at all!

Lavues
    May 15, 2016 at 10:01 am

I love the design! That’s really beautiful and suits my style!

Lavues
    June 10, 2016 at 11:23 pm

The steel chairs are interesting looking designs and look great for the dining room!

Cachea
    June 13, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Where did you get the curtain rod from

June 26, 2016 at 9:58 pm

We made it out of pipe that we bought at Lowe’s. Hoping to do a tutorial soon (we have curtains to hang in the guest room!).

Amy Estrin
    June 24, 2016 at 2:11 pm

I am obsessed with chairs as you can see!!) I love the semi-wingbacks that lead the table while you have a more rustic look. Where did you get the table? I was looking for the how-to on that! 🙂

Brenda Mitchell
    August 12, 2016 at 1:41 pm

So I stopped by and decided to stick around for a while. I’m so glad I did: the blog is great.:) Now about the chairs! Those are awesome, and it was well worth the time you took decide. Loved how the industrial chairs went well with the classic ones. Congratulations!

maggie
    October 12, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Love the chairs. Is the burnished Steel a dark gray or more of a bronze tone?

October 24, 2016 at 9:42 am

I know this doesn’t help a bit, but it’s a little bit of both. We love the mixture!