Kitchen Organizing

10-Minute DIY Key Holder & Our Favorite Hang-Anthing Solution

IMG_2192 copy

I don’t like putting things on the front of the refridgerator. I think that’s because my mom never did/does either and just like her, I like things to generally be as uncluttered as possible. However, as of late, I’ve been finding myself really wanting a place in the kitchen to put notes, cards, coupons, etc. We don’t have the need for an official “family command center” or anything. (For things like that, Greg and I sync our calendars regularly and share a “notebook” on Evernote.) Thinking that the side of the fridge would be a good spot for this, I decided to keep my eyes out for some sort of note-card-coupon-holding solution.

DIY Fridge Command Center (Without wall damage!) / 7thhouseontheleft.com

I ended up finding this gray burlap memo board at HomeGoods for $12. I liked the color and simplicity of it. At the time, I wasn’t completely sure if it would be the right size, but I bought it on a hunch and luckily, it fit perfectly. Later that day, I went to Target and picked up a 5×7 gallery frame as well as a pack of cute thumb tacks and a package of 3M picture hanging strips.

I cannot tell you how many times we’ve used these handy little things in our house. They make hanging frames, hooks, etc completely effortless and they’ve never damaged a wall. (In our house at least!) To ensure that doesn’t happen, it’s always best to clean the surface with a bit of rubbing alcohol before you attach the strip.

I put three 3M strips on the back of the memo board and attached it to the side of the fridge – and immediately went to the “junk drawer” in the kitchen and started to attach things to it…

DIY Fridge Memo Board Station / 7thhouseontheleft.com

The picture frame is the exact width of the memo board – which makes me really happy. So, again, I attached a few 3M strips and hung it up. FYI, these RE gallery frames from Target are, and will always be, my favorite go-to frames! I just can’t get enough of them and I recommend them to eveeeeryone.

DIY Fridge Command Center (Without wall damage!) / 7thhouseontheleft.com

My plan for the picture frame is to change out the photo with every season. It’s such a simple thing to do, but probably my favorite thing about this little impromptu setup. As I find a good Christmas, Fall or summer photo of family/friends, I’ll make a copy and store it in the frame itself. That way, I’ll have them easily on hand when the seasons change and it’s time to switch out the photo. Since Fall will be here in no time, and I’m beyond ready for the pumpkin patches to start popping up – I went ahead and put in an old photo from 10 (!) years ago of me, Greg, my little brother and some of our friends in Gatlinburg for my birthday. Such a long time ago – feeling old now. Moving on.

“Do you know where my keys are?” … The question Greg asks me almost every. single. day.

I thought about hanging a key hook on the side of the fridge at least a million times, but never did it because I didn’t want to damage the side of the cabinet pane. That, and I felt it might look silly for there just to be a key holder there all by it’s lonesome. However, now that we had the memo board action going on, it seemed like a good combo.

DIY Key Hook / 7thhouseontheleft.com

I started to take progress photos of making the key holder, but it was just so simple that it seemed silly.  And when it was all said and done, it literally took 10 minutes (not counting drying time for the poly!) Basically, all we did was take a scrap piece of wood we had in the shed, sanded it a bit and then stained it with some stain we had on hand. (Pretty sure it’s Minwax’s Special Walnut since that’s our favorite go-to.) To make it a bit more durable, Greg applied one coat of satin polyurethane.

DIY Key Hook / 7thhouseontheleft.com

Once it dried, he attached three simple black hooks that we picked up from Home Depot. You guys know how I love my labels! I took three of the large Martha Stewart bookplate labels, spray painted them with some flat black enamel spray paint and labeled them, “His”, “Hers” and “Guest”. Later down the road (once I find some!) I’ll probably upgrade the labels to some actual hardware-type label holders.

To attach the key holder to the side of the fridge, we used – yep, you guessed it – 3m Picture Hanging Strips. We used four strips total and they hold even this heavy piece of wood. We’ve found that we can throw our keys on it and it doesn’t it feel like it’s giving or going to fall off. Pretty sure those strips are magic. Or something.

DIY Fridge Command Center (Without wall damage!) / 7thhouseontheleft.com

We’ve now had this little area of the kitchen done for about three days and I cannot tell you how much we’re loving this set up. It makes going out and coming in much for efficient. And I’ve lost count how many times Greg has said, “I know where my keys are now!” Who knew such a little organization update would make life so much better.

Lori H
    August 27, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I love your organizing posts (among others!).

August 29, 2016 at 5:03 pm

They are some of my favorite kinds of posts! I always get in an organizing mood before the holidays, so I’m sure there will be some more soon!

Lavues
    August 28, 2016 at 11:29 am

Such a fascinating idea, amazing! This is really nice! 🙂

Erin
    August 28, 2016 at 12:12 pm

I love it! I want to do something like this in the hallway leading to my garage.

August 29, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Do it! It will change your life, haha!

DeeDee
    August 28, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Thanks for the post! I am going to try the Target Pic frames, I have gotten Pottery Barn for twice the price, so we will see how these are-thanks!

August 29, 2016 at 5:01 pm

We have Pottery Barn ones as well – we like them, but the Target ones are just as nice, if not nicer because I like the size of the Target frame’s mats better.

[email protected]&R Adventures
    August 29, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Oh I love the burlap memo board! That’s a great idea for mail and coupons that tends to hang around cluttering up our kitchen counters. I’m like you and don’t like things on my fridge or clutter!! We created a similar area just inside our garage door, but actually needed more of a drop zone for my purse, jackets, dog leashes, dog bags and keys. You can see what we did here: http://www.kandradventures.com/diy-pallet-key-holder-sign/
    I have enjoyed having that spot to put my purse and things, but we still need a good spot for coupons and mail. I’ve tried creating that spot in our office, but it’s out of the way and out of sight means out of mind, so more urgent things still land on kitchen counters. Maybe I can incorporate a small memo board like this one in our kitchen somewhere!! Thanks for sharing!

Jen V.
    August 29, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Love the key holder – another idea: decoupage the photo directly onto the wood, just above the hooks for a fun look!

Summer
    September 6, 2016 at 11:05 am

This looks very simple and so cute ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Wanderluster
    September 8, 2016 at 3:39 pm

I know exactly how invigorating a seemingly small change – like the creation and placement of a command center – can be. Our recent medium change was moving a dryer to be with the washer…. and oh my gosh it has made the hugest difference. You think buying a home with the dryer in the utility closet and the washer is no big deal but OMG. Slowly over time laundry just became a pointless task. I was going to forget the clothes in the utility closet anyway. imagine my relief now that they’re together!

We’re not done – first thing was making room for the dryer and adding the right electrical outlet – but ermagersh – its very satisfying. So enjoy your family command center!

September 18, 2016 at 7:43 pm

Yes, things like that are real game-changers!

Gwen
    October 3, 2016 at 8:56 pm

So creative! I’d like to make one on my spare time. Thanks for such a great idea.

Keri Underwood
    October 7, 2016 at 4:08 pm

When Josh and I buy a house I’m totes paying you to come organize and decorate!!! Seriously, though all your stuff is amazing!

p.s. I recognize that wedding invitation you’ve got hangin’ up there 😉

October 10, 2016 at 12:03 pm