Last week, we posted about our new carport turned patio. We’ve been working on this space for what seems like all summer – or even longer – and we’re beyond happy that it’s finished.
One of our favorite features in our new covered patio are the outdoor curtains. They really make the outdoor living space feel a little more “indoor” and much less “carport”.
We started this part of the project with a set of beige Merete curtain panels from Ikea. They aren’t necessarily marked as “outdoor curtains” but we’ve talked to a bunch of people who have used them as outdoor curtains – including Ashley’s Mom. She uses these on her patio and they’ve held up great and are machine washable – which is really a plus. Instead of getting only four panels (two packages), but we decided to get two extra packages since the space was so large and we wanted the curtains to look as full as possible.
In addition to the curtains, we needed a nice, sturdy curtain rod that fit our outdoor rustic/industrial motif. After talking it over, we decided that using galvanized pipe would be a great way to accomplish both goals. We decided to use one-inch pipe since it looked “beefy” enough and would have no flex with the curtains hanging on it. Another plus, it was a lot more affordable than a massively long outdoor curtain rod.
In order to make this work, it required a trip to the plumbing section at our local Lowe’s. For the two end pieces of the rod, I bought two floor flanges, two nipples and two elbows (as pictured above). I waited to buy the pipe because I wanted to triple check my measurements before having it cut to length at the store).
Since our “window” is so large (about 18′ wide) we used a T-connector with a single floor flange and nipple in the middle for extra support. As for the rod, we used two pieces of unthreaded EMT pipe and had them cut to the length we needed at Lowe’s (for about 50 cents a piece). Since the pipe was unthreaded, I also picked up four EMT set screw connectors (those are the shiny parts with the screw in the top). Unlike the rest of the parts, which are found in the plumbing section, the EMT connectors and pipe were in the electrical conduit section of the hardware store. Luckily, I have a father-in-law who’s an electrician and could point me in the right direction.
After drilling the pilot holes and attaching the floor flanges to the “wall”, it was just a matter of screwing all the connectors together. It was kind of like putting together an easy puzzle.
Once we were sure everything was secure and fitting properly, we took the rods back down and threaded the curtains on. As it turned out, we really did do the right thing by buying two extra packages of curtains. Two packages would not have been enough to really fill up the space visually.
The curtains ended up being a little shorter than we anticipated. On one hand, we think if they were hitting the floor it would be a perfect place for bugs and frogs to hide out – which we definitely don’t want. On the other hand, they could stand to be about 10 inches longer. We can easily add more length to them by adding a strip of fabric to the bottom using some Stitch Witchery. However, Ash’s mom mentioned that after it rained the first few times, the fabric shrunk a few inches in length. That being the case, we’ve decided to wait a while before adding any extra fabric to the ends.
As it is, we’re really loving how much more complete the whole look is. The curtains are the next best thing to a privacy fence. When we first started this process, I wasn’t sure the curtains would make that much of a difference, but Ashley insisted they would really bring everything together. I guess that proves why she’s in charge of making things look good around here, haha.