Last week, we scheduled two major projects to be done by a few contractors: tiling the master bathroom and staining the floors throughout the house. Since work was being done in the house and we couldn’t be inside while the work was happening, we took a little break from the daily grind of house renovations. Rather than just sitting around twiddling our thumbs and catching up on NCIS, we decided to spend some time with a mouse who wears red shorts. Yep, we spent the week at Disney World!
Though we were having a blast at the parks, shopping, riding the monorail and hanging out with Pluto, we were still attached to our iPhones posting blog entries, monitoring comments and checking in on the house projects via Ashley’s dad, who kept an eye on everything for us. Though we felt like we had it all under control even though we were on vacation, we still encountered a few bumps in the road.
Let’s back up a bit… Just a few days before we left for the Happiest Place on Earth, our tile guy got started on the master bathroom. After the second day, I went over to the house to check on the work. The floor was completely tiled, but it was the tile that’s in our utility room, not the same tile that is in our new hall bathroom. That was a major problem, since the tile in the utility room tile is one of those “it’s fine the way it is for the moment” situations. We’ll probably change the utility room floor down the road, but it’s not so bad that we need to rip it out anytime soon. However, we definitely don’t want it elsewhere in the house.
As it turns out, we had a little miscommunication about the tile… When we told our tile guy which tile we wanted for the master bathroom, we just pointed him toward the extra tile that we had in our outdoor storage area. Unfortunately, he found the extra utility room tile (which was kindly left to us by the previous owner) and thought we had changed our minds on which tile we wanted on the floor. After discussing it with him, he ripped up the wrong tile and laid the right kind (at no charge) over the weekend. But no harm, no foul. Communication is key. Lesson learned.
Well, only a little harm. Because the floor guy couldn’t work in the house with the tile crew there, he needed to wait until the tiling was finished. Ripping up the tile took an extra day or two, so this delay also pushed back the floor guy’s schedule. As Ashley mentioned, the floor staining process started this past week. However, because the floor guy’s schedule had to be rearranged, he had to take a break between the sanding and staining process in order to do another job he already had lined up.
Now that all of the sanding has been done, the next step is the staining — which is beginning right now as I type. And we are very excited to see the result! Even though the process is taking a little longer than we anticipated (we thought it was going to be done when we came home from vacation), it’s still coming together. We’d rather have the job done right, even if it takes a bit longer, than have it poorly done because it was rushed.
When we rolled back into town Saturday around midnight, the first thing we did was go over to the house to check out the newly tiled master bathroom. I must say, it looks awesome! I couldn’t imagine a better final product. Ash will be blogging about it tomorrow, so stay tuned!
Now that we are all Disney-magic-ed up, we are ready to get started on the rest of the projects that need to be done in order to start moving into the house.
Disney photos taken by us. Ashley took the photo of the tile in the shed… about 5 minutes ago.